[soc.religion.eastern] slow path vs. fast path; low vs. high

williamt%athena@Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (10/25/90)

	I had someone mention to me the idea of a low vs. a high path in
Buddhism.  Additionally, they mentioned that in the high path, in
particular, there was a slow path and a fast path.  They mentioned that
to get to enlightenment, a fast path might only take a few lifetimes,
as opposed to the safer, easier slow path which could take hundreds.
They mentioned though that many people that they knew got burnt out on
the fast path -- not being able to handle it.

Ok, fine.  Now besides that does someone want to explain the differences
in slow vs. fast path, as far as execution?  How does one get burnt out?
Also differences in low vs. high would also be appreciated.  Thanks.

-wat-

tilley@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Tilley) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct25.044326.8088@nas.nasa.gov> williamt%athena@Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) writes:

>	I had someone mention to me the idea of a low vs. a high path in
>Buddhism.  Additionally, they mentioned that in the high path, in
>particular, there was a slow path and a fast path.  They mentioned that
>to get to enlightenment, a fast path might only take a few lifetimes,
>as opposed to the safer, easier slow path which could take hundreds.
>They mentioned though that many people that they knew got burnt out on
>the fast path -- not being able to handle it.
>
>Ok, fine.  Now besides that does someone want to explain the differences
>in slow vs. fast path, as far as execution?  How does one get burnt out?
>Also differences in low vs. high would also be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>-wat-

I have never heard of this Low and High Path (unless you refer to Hinayana and
Mahayana ). Certainly there are those who seek to gain enlightenment
in this lifetime. The above stuff sounds rather "New-Age" and not like the
forms of Budhism that I have seen.

dave

Dave Tilley 	cs.rochester.edu