[soc.religion.eastern] tibetan buddhism et al.

williamt%athena@Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (10/18/90)

	Can anyone suggest some good primers on tibetan religion, buddhism
in particular, though tantra also would be desired.  Thanks.

-wat-

swb@uunet.UU.NET (Scott Brim) (10/21/90)

Call Snow Lion Publications at 607-273-8519 and ask for a catalog.
You'll love it.

	In article <1990Oct18.062958.19969@nas.nasa.gov>
	williamt%athena@Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) writes:

	   Can anyone suggest some good primers on tibetan religion,
	   buddhism in particular, though tantra also would be desired.
	   Thanks.

	   -wat-

courtney@inmet.inmet.com (10/25/90)

I think this it a tough one  in that primers on the tibetan tradition
usually focus on the lam rim (the graded path to enlightenment) and
end with the understanding that once you have worked through all that
then you can begin Tantra.  I suggest getting the catalog from Wisdom
publication who specialize in Tibetan Buddhism.  Their address is:

      Wisdom Publications
      361 Newbury St.
      Boston, MA 02115 USA

Having said that I think any book that is associated with the Dalai
Lama, Geshe Rabten, and Geshe Dargye have been especially usefull (for
me). You can be assured that any book translated by Jeffrey Hopkins
or Glen Mullin will be first rate - but sometimes their books are very
advanced.  Jeffrey Hopkins though, has written a very readable book on
Tantra called "Introduction to Tantra".  Also worth noting - books by
Lama Yeshe and Lama Zopa have gotten  praise as very solid primers for
westerners.  There is really a lot of books to choose from.

I hope you enjoy finding a good book on Tibetan Buddhism.

Don

tilley@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Tilley) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct25.044254.7974@nas.nasa.gov> courtney@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>I think this it a tough one  in that primers on the tibetan tradition
>usually focus on the lam rim (the graded path to enlightenment) and
>end with the understanding that once you have worked through all that
>then you can begin Tantra.  I suggest getting the catalog from Wisdom
>publication who specialize in Tibetan Buddhism.  Their address is:
>
>      Wisdom Publications
>      361 Newbury St.
>      Boston, MA 02115 USA
>
>Having said that I think any book that is associated with the Dalai
>Lama, Geshe Rabten, and Geshe Dargye have been especially usefull (for
>me). You can be assured that any book translated by Jeffrey Hopkins
>or Glen Mullin will be first rate - but sometimes their books are very
>advanced.  Jeffrey Hopkins though, has written a very readable book on
>Tantra called "Introduction to Tantra".  Also worth noting - books by
>Lama Yeshe and Lama Zopa have gotten  praise as very solid primers for
>westerners.  There is really a lot of books to choose from.
>
>I hope you enjoy finding a good book on Tibetan Buddhism.
>
>Don

Also there is "The Dawn of Tantra". I forget the authors but it is from
Shambala press. If you want more info send me mail.

tilley@acl.kodak.com

dave

Dave Tilley 	cs.rochester.edu