[soc.religion.eastern] Shakyamuni and Nichiren Daishonin

kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Keith Evans) (11/25/90)

This reply is in 2 postings.

  >> This is the true Buddhism to follow in this day and age. What you are
  >> talking about is Hinayana or provisional Mahayana Buddhism, which

  >I personally believe that Lotus sutra is one important sutra of Mahayana
  >Buddhism.  Six paramitas which I wrote in my previous posting are also
  >written in the Lotus sutra. I don't know what is provisional Mahayana Buddhism.

In the Sutra of Infinite Meaning (expounded just before Shakyamuni Buddha (SB)
taught the Lotus Sutra), he said something like "discarding the provisional
teachings, I will expound only the supreme Way" and "in these more than
40 years or so, I have not yet revealed the truth" and "all truths and
wisdom come from one law" and this is the highest teaching that I "have
preached, am preaching and will preach" and then expounded the Lotus Sutra,
with no prompting from his disciples.
The meaning of all the other sutras is clear with an understanding of the
Lotus Sutra.

To understand Buddhism, one must understand the time. Some of the quotes
below, I am not sure which sutra they are from, but looking them up
would take some time, so for expedience I will not state which sutra they
are from.

SB expounded how his teachings would  and should be practiced in the 5 500
year periods after his death. In the 1st 500 years, the Hinayana teachings
could lead some to enlightenment as there would be faith, practice and proof.
In the 2nd 500 years, the provisional Mahayana (all Mahayana sutras except
the Lotus) would replace the Hinayana. In the 3rd and 4th 500 years the
Mahayana teachings wouyld be the ones to propagate as there would be faith
and practice. In the 5th 500 years, none of his teachings would lead to
enlightenment, but that kosen-rufu (worldwide propagation true Buddhism)
should be established and "never allow its flow to cease".

  >As I said before, there are many branches of Buddhism.
  >Depending on your own karma, you choose the best suitable one to follow.

In the Sutra of Infinite Meaning he said "all truths and wisdom come from
one law". This law is hidden in the Lotus Sutra. The Sanskrit (or Pali) was
translated into Chinese by Kumarajiva (4th century A.D.) because he had an
understanding of Buddhism from Nagarjuna's commentaries, that he could
correctly translate it. This translation was taken to Japan by Saicho, also
known as The Great Teacher Dengyo. The Japanese pronounciation of the old
Chinese title of the Lotus Sutra is Myoho-renge-kyo. Adding the Sanskrit
word Nam (short for namas, devte mind and body) to the beginning, done by
Nichiren Daishonin (ND) (1222-1282) to get Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Then after
studying all of SB's sutras, ND declared the fundamental cause of all
the sufferings of mankind to be incorrect religious beliefs.

--
   Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.
            Respectfully,

hms@princeton.edu (Hsing-Mean Sha) (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov25.012754.12879@nas.nasa.gov>,
kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Keith Evans) writes:

> In the Sutra of Infinite Meaning (expounded just before Shakyamuni
Buddha (SB)
> taught the Lotus Sutra), he said something like "discarding the provisional
> teachings, I will expound only the supreme Way" and "in these more than
> 40 years or so, I have not yet revealed the truth" and "all truths and
> wisdom come from one law" and this is the highest teaching that I "have
> preached, am preaching and will preach" and then expounded the Lotus Sutra,
> with no prompting from his disciples.
> The meaning of all the other sutras is clear with an understanding of the
> Lotus Sutra.

I am not a scholar of Buddhism, so I can not judge whether it is true that
the meaning of all the other sutras is clear with an understanding of the
Lotus Sutra.  But I really doubt about it. Of course, for some geniuses like
six patriarch of Chan (or Zen) sect., he can achieve the beginning of
englightment after only listeniing one sentence of Diamond Sutra.
For common person like me, it would be safer to read and try to understand
more sutras.  Actually one of my understandings of Lotus Sutra is the
extreme importance of *provisionality*. Yes, this is one reason I like
Buddhism. It is so flexible and open-minded. There are so-called 84000 ways
for various people in the process of salvation.  Hinayana is one way,
Mahayana is another way and also all those different schools are different
ways.  Some people like Zen (Chan), and I like Mahayana Buddhism, and many
people in South-eastern asia follow Hinayana Buddhism. They are all correct.
This is dependent on our Karmas. For example, can a person in Iran believe
Buddhism or Christianity?  Because of the thought of this  *provisionality*
and flexibility, in Buddhist history we never have any war for religion!
For me, a layman of Buddhism, the different levels of englightment does not
make too much meaning, since infinity or infinity + infinity are very
similar to me.

> To understand Buddhism, one must understand the time. Some of the quotes
>
> SB expounded how his teachings would  and should be practiced in the 5 500
> year periods after his death. In the 1st 500 years, the Hinayana teachings
> could lead some to enlightenment as there would be faith, practice and proof.
> In the 2nd 500 years, the provisional Mahayana (all Mahayana sutras except
> the Lotus) would replace the Hinayana. In the 3rd and 4th 500 years the
> Mahayana teachings wouyld be the ones to propagate as there would be faith
> and practice. In the 5th 500 years, none of his teachings would lead to
> enlightenment, but that kosen-rufu (worldwide propagation true Buddhism)
> should be established and "never allow its flow to cease".

As far as I know, the most popular one is to devide into three periods:
(1) the preiod of correct doctrine of Buddha: many people practice and
follow correct way with all their best. Some say it is theist 500 years, and
some say 1st 1000 years.

(2) The period of assemblance: there are many different branches, and many
people are not so eager to practice as they did in the 1st period.
Some say iti is the 2nd 1000 years.

(3) The period of decline : many people only argue with each other without
practicing and the material dillusions are prevalent. Few (not none) people
can get englightment under such a situation. Some says it is the 3rd 10,000
years.

Yes, we are in the beginning of the third period.  This is not a good period
of being englightment, but in some sense this is also the best period for
people who dare to meet all those desires, difficulties and conqure them.

Look at the great vows of all Bodhisattvas:
  (1) Sentient beings without number I vow to enlighten.
  (2) Vexations without number I vow to eradicate.
  (3) Limitless approaches to Dharma I vow to master.
  (4) Supreme Bodhi I vow to achieve.

As I said before. strong determination can change everything.
I remembered several years ago I was in a hard situation (mainly because
of what
I thought), I felt glad after thought deeply the meaing of "Suffering is
the orgin of Bodhi."  I appreciated that I have this precious chance to make
me think deeper.  This understanding is also appeared in one of my favorite
sutra, Vimalakirti-nirdesa (Wei2 Mo2 Jei2 Jin1) Sutra (many chinese
intelectuals also like it very much. Even one very famous
poet in Tang dynasty chose his name after this sutra).   One Bodhisattva from
another world asked Shakyamuni why you were here in such a bad world
(saha world). Shakyamuni said this is one of the best worlds for quickly
achieving
enlightment because of the so many sufferings. Vimalakirti also explains the
similar thought in the sutra.

        Hsing-Mean Sha in Princeton
        hms@cs.princeton.edu