[soc.religion.eastern] Meditation 2 ways: Different yet the Same

chee1a1@jetson.uh.edu (11/08/90)

  Meditation two ways: different yet the same

  Literally, there are two methods given in Buddhist Meditation, namely:
  Samatha yana (way of concentration) and Vipassana yana (way of insight)
  as mentioned in earlier postings.  Even though as a way
  of practice these seemed to be two distinct ways, as far as attaining the
  goal of nirvana is concerned both concentration and insight are
  required.

    In practice, concentration is the basis for development of insight
  and ultimate enlightenment, and to a buddhist, concentration is not
  the end itself (as opposed to that sought by non-followers of Buddha
  Dhamma e.g., in Transcendental Meditation or in trying to attain various
  mental powers).  A buddhist seeks concentration because with a
  distracted and untamed mind it is impossible to see the true
  nature of oneself and the true nature of the world. The mind gets
  obstructed  from seeing the truth by the fetters,identified as:
  laziness(sloth and torper), sensual longings, hatred, wandering,
  lack of confidence or wavering(which I do not like to translate as
  lack of faith - because word faith has other meanings attached to it).
  By developing concentration and attaining jhana factors, a person
  overcomes these fetters temporarily allowing to see things in
  their true nature easily.

     But to achieve beyond to attain the goal of enlightenment, a person has
  to develop the insight in analysing the true nature of the world.
  That is where vipassana or insight meditation comes into use. Refering
  to the teachings in Buddha Dhamma, the practice of four foundations
  of mindfulness (Pali tr.- Satipatthana Sutta) starts with the
  instructions on breathing meditation (anapanasati).  Again in Noble
  Eightfold Path, right mindfulness (samma sati) and right concentration
  (samma samadhi) are two factors that must cultivated.

    Since the goal of concentration for a buddhist is enlightenment
  or seeing the true nature of things, objects chosen for meditation
  should not arouse the fetters (such as lust,hatred, laziness etc.)
  in mind.  Therefore fourty or so meditation subjects are taught for
  the convenience of Buddhists (so they do not have to search all over
  the world looking for a suitable meditation subject), some of which
  leads to all five jhanas while some leads only to basic concentration
  needed for development of insight. Once the mind is strong and does
  not get carried away by distractions it is easily turned towards
  analysing the true nature of things ((i)impernancy or anicca -
  changing nature of things, Nothing is forever. Nature changes,
  flowers,leaves, trees, etc. decay, even solar systems, and galaxies
  gets destroyed. (2) dukkha, Because of this changing nature of things
  they bring us dukkha or unhappiness. We feel sorrowful when something
  we loved departs from us. It is understaning this existence of
  unhapiness in nature that leads to further understanding of non-self.
  (3) The third perception ,anatta,  is non existence of a soul or self.
  When we see,hear, smell etc. something lovely we see it as ours, or
  ourselves loving it, grasping it.  But when we see everything changes,
  uselessness  in grasping lust etc. as good, then it is easy to see
  that there is no self(or soul)).  A buddhist does not develop a negative
  attitude in mind perceiving these three factors (anicca, dukkha, and
  anatta) because of the mind which becomes strong due to concentration.
  A buddhist faces the nature of things and understands them by analysing
  and studying with concentration as the basis.

     In Zen also, as I have read, both concentration and insight are
  practiced.  A method of developing concentration, meditation, is used
  in attaining the jhanas and then the analysis of true nature is
  carried out, as seen from the various sayings, parabales,
  and questions of Zen masters.

  In summary, the only difference in two methods (samath yana -
  way of concentration, and vipassana yana - way of insight) are the
  amount of effort on concentration. But both concentration and
  insight are required to attain the goal, nirvana.  Concentration
  is required for analysis or insight. Analysis or insight is required
  for attaining the freedom, nirvana.

  Bandula Jayatilaka

kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Keith Evans) (11/16/90)

In <1990Nov8.012939.14684@nas.nasa.gov> chee1a1@jetson.uh.edu writes:

>    In practice, concentration is the basis for development of insight
>  and ultimate enlightenment, and to a buddhist, concentration is not

One will never gain enlightenment through meditation. Shakyamuni Buddha
did!, you say. In the Lotus Sutra, when talking about the length of his
life, he said he had gained enlightenment many lifetimes age, in the
distant past. Then he predicted that none of his teachings would lead
people to enlighenment 2000 years after he died. Meditation is not the
Buddhist practice in this day and age.

>     But to achieve beyond to attain the goal of enlightenment, a person has
>  to develop the insight in analysing the true nature of the world.

If you want to understand the true nature of the world, then you should
first try to understand the true nature of yourself.

>  analysing the true nature of things ((i)impernancy or anicca -
>  changing nature of things, Nothing is forever. Nature changes,
>  flowers,leaves, trees, etc. decay, even solar systems, and galaxies
>  gets destroyed. (2) dukkha, Because of this changing nature of things
>  they bring us dukkha or unhappiness. We feel sorrowful when something
>  we loved departs from us. It is understaning this existence of
>  unhapiness in nature that leads to further understanding of non-self.
>  (3) The third perception ,anatta,  is non existence of a soul or self.
>  When we see,hear, smell etc. something lovely we see it as ours, or
>  ourselves loving it, grasping it.  But when we see everything changes,
>  uselessness  in grasping lust etc. as good, then it is easy to see
>  that there is no self(or soul)).  A buddhist does not develop a negative

Yes, everything changes. The question is whether it changes for the better
or the worse. This comes down to your actions. What you are talking about
sounds like Hinayana (lesser teaching) Buddhism. Part of an individual's
happiness is getting married, having enough money, etc. You should try to
understand the true entity of yourself that makes all one's feelings work
in their most enlightened state. I think you are also confusing no self
with the greater self. Obviously, you are a self as your actions will
reflect back on you yourself and not anyone else.

--
   Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.
            Respectfully,

hms@princeton.edu (Hsing-Mean Sha) (11/19/90)

> One will never gain enlightenment through meditation. Shakyamuni Buddha
> did!, you say. In the Lotus Sutra, when talking about the length of his
> life, he said he had gained enlightenment many lifetimes age, in the
> distant past. Then he predicted that none of his teachings would lead
> people to enlighenment 2000 years after he died. Meditation is not the
> Buddhist practice in this day and age.

I am a Chinese Buddhist. The most popular way I know for practicing
Mahayana Buddhism is so-called 'six Paramitas.'  (() is Chinese Mandarin
prenounciation)
1. Dana (Bu4 She1), charity or giving, including the bestowing of
         truth on others.
2. Sila (Che2 Jei4), keeping the disciplins.
3. Ksanti (Jen3 Ju4), patience under suffering and insult.
4. Virya (Jin1 Jin4) zeal and progress.
5. Dhyana (Chan2 Din4) Meditation.
6. Prajna (Je4 Hwei4), wisdom.
Therefore, meditation is one of the important Buddhist practices.

I cannot remember the prediction you mentioned in Lotus Sutra.
Anyway, this prediction does not make any meaning to me, even thougth
it is from Shakyamuni, because our strong determinations can
change everything.

You said "One will never gain enlightenment through meditation."  I think it
is HARD to gain enlightment ONLY by meditation for us. But, it is possible
that, depending on his/her Karma, meditation is his/her unique way to
achieve the enlightment.

> >  analysing the true nature of things ((i)impernancy or anicca -
> >  changing nature of things, Nothing is forever. Nature changes,
> >  flowers,leaves, trees, etc. decay, even solar systems, and galaxies
> >  gets destroyed. (2) dukkha, Because of this changing nature of things
> >  they bring us dukkha or unhappiness. We feel sorrowful when something
> >  we loved departs from us. It is understaning this existence of
> >  unhapiness in nature that leads to further understanding of non-self.
> >  (3) The third perception ,anatta,  is non existence of a soul or self.
> >  When we see,hear, smell etc. something lovely we see it as ours, or
> >  ourselves loving it, grasping it.  But when we see everything changes,
> >  uselessness  in grasping lust etc. as good, then it is easy to see
> >  that there is no self(or soul)).  A buddhist does not develop a negative
>
> Yes, everything changes. The question is whether it changes for the better
> or the worse. This comes down to your actions. What you are talking about
> sounds like Hinayana (lesser teaching) Buddhism. Part of an individual's
> happiness is getting married, having enough money, etc. You should try to
> understand the true entity of yourself that makes all one's feelings work
> in their most enlightened state. I think you are also confusing no self
> with the greater self. Obviously, you are a self as your actions will
> reflect back on you yourself and not anyone else.

Can you clarify what is "The question is whether it changes for the better
or the worse."   I thik what Bandula said is very basic for both Hinayana
and Mahayana Buddhism.  Actually, if you have read Shurangama Sutra, you
would know that Avalokitesvara (Kuan-Yin) Bodhisattva cultivate
realization based on the process of hearing. The first several stages of
the way that Kuan-Yin uses are similar what Bandula wrote.
In the same Shurangama Sutra, after twenty-five Bodhisattvas explain their
methods of cultivation and spiritual attainment, Bodhisattva Manjushri
pointed out that Kuan-Yin's method was best suited for the people.
Therefore, I do believe what Bandula wrote is very basic for all branches
of Buddhism, not only Hinayana.

> --
>    Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.
>             Respectfully,
>   	         Keith Evans		kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov

    Hsing-Mean Sha    in Princeton
    hms@cs.princeton.edu

kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Keith Evans) (11/21/90)

In <1990Nov18.195707.15515@nas.nasa.gov> hms@princeton.edu (Hsing-Mean Sha) writes:

>I am a Chinese Buddhist. The most popular way I know for practicing
>Mahayana Buddhism is so-called 'six Paramitas.'  (() is Chinese Mandarin

>or the worse."   I thik what Bandula said is very basic for both Hinayana
>and Mahayana Buddhism.  Actually, if you have read Shurangama Sutra, you
>would know that Avalokitesvara (Kuan-Yin) Bodhisattva cultivate
>realization based on the process of hearing. The first several stages of
>the way that Kuan-Yin uses are similar what Bandula wrote.
>In the same Shurangama Sutra, after twenty-five Bodhisattvas explain their
>methods of cultivation and spiritual attainment, Bodhisattva Manjushri
>pointed out that Kuan-Yin's method was best suited for the people.
>Therefore, I do believe what Bandula wrote is very basic for all branches
>of Buddhism, not only Hinayana.

You are probably right. But you are talking about Shakymuni's Buddhism
and not Nichiren Daishonin's. Shakyamuni said that none of his teachings
would lead the people to enlightenment 2000 years after he died. But
he also predicted a Buddha greater than to be born in a small, island
country northeast of India and provide a way for everyone to gain
enlightenment. Nichiren Daishonin (1222-1282), born in Japan, studied
all of Shakyamuni's teachings, and proclaimed the True Law to be
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the Law by which all Buddhas have gained their
enlightenment. This is the Law hidden in the Lotus Sutra, which Shakyamuni
entrusted to Boddhisattva Jogyo with to propagate in the Latter Day of
the Law (2000 years after he died) and was reborn as Nichiren.

This is the true Buddhism to follow in this day and age. What you are
talking about is Hinayana or provisional Mahayana Buddhism, which
Shakyamuni himself declared just before preaching the Lotus Sutra (in
which he talks about his enlightenment) "discarding the provisional
teachings, I will expound only the supreme Way" and "in these more than
40 years or so, I have not yet revealed the truth" (from the Muryogi
Sutra, this is tha Japanese name for it. I don't know the Sanskrit ort
Pali for reasons stated above).

Shakyamuni's Buddhism is the Buddhism of harvest and
Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism is the Buddhism of sowing.

--

hms@princeton.edu (Hsing-Mean Sha) (11/22/90)

> You are probably right. But you are talking about Shakymuni's Buddhism
> and not Nichiren Daishonin's. Shakyamuni said that none of his teachings
> would lead the people to enlightenment 2000 years after he died. But
> he also predicted a Buddha greater than to be born in a small, island
> country northeast of India and provide a way for everyone to gain
> enlightenment. Nichiren Daishonin (1222-1282), born in Japan, studied
> all of Shakyamuni's teachings, and proclaimed the True Law to be
> Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the Law by which all Buddhas have gained their
> enlightenment. This is the Law hidden in the Lotus Sutra, which Shakyamuni
> entrusted to Boddhisattva Jogyo with to propagate in the Latter Day of
> the Law (2000 years after he died) and was reborn as Nichiren.
>
> This is the true Buddhism to follow in this day and age. What you are
> talking about is Hinayana or provisional Mahayana Buddhism, which

I personally believe that Lotus sutra is one important sutra of Mahayana
Buddhism.  Six paramitas which I wrote in my previous posting are also
written in the Lotus sutra. I don't know what is provisional Mahayana Buddhism.
As I said before, there are many branches of Buddhism.
Depending on your own karma, you choose the best suitable one to follow.
But, for the interest of knowledge, I really would like to know how to
practice in Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism and what the difference between
Nichiren Daishonin's and Shakyamuni's.

In buddhism, everybody has the Buddha mind, and in the eyes of Buddhas and
Bodhisattvas, we are all Buddhas in some sense.  The prediction is not
too much important to me.   Actually, this is my first time to hear about this
prediction.   I am also very interested in knowing which chapter of Lotus
sutra about the claim of no-one-get-enlightment-2000-years...  I maybe missed
again after I checked my Lotus sutra at home (I cannot find out this claim).

As Diamond sutra said, even Buddhist Dharma can be got rid of,... and
Buddhist dharma is like a ship, we can not go to the other side without
getting rid of the ship...    Yes, this may not be proper for the
beginners, and this is a teaching for Bodhisattvas. But, this is also
the main reason I like Buddhism, since it even says we should not just
follow the dharma while we are going to reach the other side. In the
Buddhist sutras I have read, I never found any idea of *absolute truth*.
This is the reason I dont understand why you claim Nichiren Daishonin's
is the true Buddhism to follow in this day and age.  I think it may be
true for you, and I respect your confidence.

>             Respectfully,
>   	         Keith Evans		kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov

    Hsing-Mean Sha in Princeton    hms@cs.princeton.edu

heru@byron.u.washington.edu (heru-ra-ha) (11/23/90)

Nichiren shoshu buddhism....

Only buddhist sect I know of with the (to me, personally distasteful) penchant
for proselytization "My way is the best way, your way is at best, erroneous and
at worst, horribly evil" Most other religions which do this tend to be phases of
the western Asian/european monotheistic tradition. Oh well.

Ge Iad, ge ol; ge Iad i-L.

Josh Geller
heru@byron.u.washington.edu

kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Keith Evans) (11/25/90)

  >But, for the interest of knowledge, I really would like to know how to
  >practice in Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism and what the difference between
  >Nichiren Daishonin's and Shakyamuni's.

Before ND died, he realized that he had fulfilled all the Buddha's
predictions (about the person who would propagate the law in the Latter
Day (2000 years after his death)) and he enscribed the Gohonzon, which is
the physical manifestation of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. By chanting
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to the Gohonzon, one actually attains the state of
Buddhahood as they are. The practice is to recieve a Gohonzon (a copy of
the original, made only by the High Priest), to recite the 2nd and 16th
chapters of the Lotus Sutra morning and evening (everyday) and chant
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, abundantly (everyday). To study Buddhisma and help
others learn about the greatness of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. Living
one's life based on this practice is Nirvana. It does not mean to be a
Buddhist and not live in society. One must use this practice to live the
best life poossible.

  >In buddhism, everybody has the Buddha mind, and in the eyes of Buddhas and
  >Bodhisattvas, we are all Buddhas in some sense.  The prediction is not

Yes, we all have the potential for Buddhahood, but delusion from our past
karma hides it from us and we deny it. Even if we know about it, we still
have to manifest it.

  >too much important to me.   Actually, this is my first time to hear about this
  >prediction.   I am also very interested in knowing which chapter of Lotus
  >sutra about the claim of no-one-get-enlightment-2000-years...  I maybe missed
  >again after I checked my Lotus sutra at home (I cannot find out this claim).

I'm sorry if I lead you to think that that prediction was from the Lotus Sutra,
I do not think it is and am not sure right now which one it is from. But he
actually speaks in terms of 500 year periods.

  >As Diamond sutra said, even Buddhist Dharma can be got rid of,... and

With the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

  >Buddhist dharma is like a ship, we can not go to the other side without
  >getting rid of the ship...    Yes, this may not be proper for the

You need the ship to cross the sea of sufferings.

  >beginners, and this is a teaching for Bodhisattvas. But, this is also
  >the main reason I like Buddhism, since it even says we should not just
  >follow the dharma while we are going to reach the other side. In the
  >Buddhist sutras I have read, I never found any idea of *absolute truth*.

See the quotes from the Sutra of Infinite Meaning above.

  >This is the reason I dont understand why you claim Nichiren Daishonin's
  >is the true Buddhism to follow in this day and age.  I think it may be

Very few understood or believed Nichiren when he proclaimed it. According
to the sutras, when the true law is lost, the 3 disasters and 7 calamities
occur. Nichiren proclaimed that in Japan at that time all but 2 had not yet
occurred and predicted that they would occurr (based on the sutras) and
his predictions (based on the sutras, not his own wisdom) came true.

P.S. Thank you, Danesh, for posting my postings.

--

jdoskow@decwrl.dec.com (Jonathan Doskow) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov18.195707.15515@nas.nasa.gov> hms@princeton.edu (Hsing-Mean Sha) writes:

>> One will never gain enlightenment through meditation. Shakyamuni Buddha
>> did!, you say. In the Lotus Sutra, when talking about the length of his
>> life, he said he had gained enlightenment many lifetimes age, in the
>> distant past. Then he predicted that none of his teachings would lead
>> people to enlighenment 2000 years after he died. Meditation is not the
>> Buddhist practice in this day and age.
>
>I am a Chinese Buddhist. The most popular way I know for practicing
>Mahayana Buddhism is so-called 'six Paramitas.'  (() is Chinese Mandarin
>prenounciation)
>5. Dhyana (Chan2 Din4) Meditation.
>Therefore, meditation is one of the important Buddhist practices.
>
>I cannot remember the prediction you mentioned in Lotus Sutra.

The specific references about the 2000 years are found in the
Daishutsu (Sutra of the Great Assembly) Sutra.  In general, though, there
are many references throughtout the Lotus and other Sutras.  For
example, Chapter XIII (p 218 in Threefold Lotus Sutra, Kosei, Tokyo,
1975 - the famous "20 line verse of the Kanjii chapter" ) reads in
part

	"Be pleased to be without anxiety!
	After the Buddha's extinction,
	In the [last] dreadful evil age,
	We will proclaim abroad [this sutra].

"The Daishutsu Sutra predicts that this fifth period will be an "age of
conflict," when monks will disregard the precepts and feud constantly
among themselves, heretical views will prevail, and Shakyamuni's
Buddhism will be lost.

In contrast, the Lotus Sutra views [this time] when Shakyamuni's
teachings lose their power of redemption, as the time when the essence
of the Louts Sutra transferred to Bodhisattva Jogyo at the Ceremony in
the Air will be propogated ... and benefit mankind far into the future."
(p 224 in A Dictionary of Buddhist Terms and Concepts - NSIC, Tokyo, 1983)

In order to really understand Nichiren's Buddhism from a theoretical
point of view it is necessary to understand T'ien T'ai doctrine on which
it is based.  Founded by Chih-i (538-597,) T'ien T'ai organizes
Shakyamuni's teachings into catagories according to doctrines and
according to method of teachings.  So to simply say, Sutra x says y is
not sufficient.  It is necessary to understand where sutra x fits in.
There is some evidence, for example, of certain translations of Sutras
that say the women can never attain enlightenment, while others say they
can.  Which one is to be believed?  This subject is quite complex,
however, of T'ien T'ai, Kenneth Ch'en says (p 313, Buddhism in China, A
Historical Survey, Princeton, 1972)

"The T'ein-t'ai tenets have been generally regarded as among the finest
products of the Buddhist philosophical development in China.  They are
called the final and round doctrines of Buddhism - final because they
synthesize all the extreme and one-sided doctrines of the other schools,
and round because the school assures universal salvation by affirming
the presence of the Buddha-nature in all sentient beings and because it
employs all possible means to salvation."

>>             Respectfully,
>>   	         Keith Evans		kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov
>
>    Hsing-Mean Sha    in Princeton
>    hms@cs.princeton.edu

The thing I like about moral absolutes is that there are so many to
        choose from.

Opinions expressed are those of the author.
	jdoskow@Tymnet.COM