[soc.religion.eastern] Is this YOUR mind?

kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Keith Evans) (12/15/90)

  >	Also, another question: does the Nichiren school teach that
  >, full enlightenment is possible within this lifetime?

That is the idea for practicing Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, to gain
full and complete enlightenment in this lifetime. With the other Buddhisms,
one won't gain complete enlightenment and if it takes more than one
lifetime to do it, it won't happen either.

Actually, chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to the Gohonzon (fundamental
object of worship, enscribed by Nichiren, and all believers have a
copy, enscribed only by the High Priest, in their home) one is actually
in the state of Buddhahood. Here we need to talk about The Great Teacher
T`ien-T`ai Chi-CHe (Chih-i) (517?-597) in China, and his doctrine
of ichinen sanzen, 3000 life-conditions in a single moment.

   Ten Worlds: (ten life-conditions)

        1.  Hell = suffering and despair

        2.  Hunger = endless selfish desire for wealth, fame,
                          or pleasure.. never truly satisfied.

        3.  Animality = following the pull of desires and
                           instincts; lacking the wisdom of self-control.

        4.  Anger = self-conscious  and egoistic, trampling
                         on the dignity of others.

        5.  Humanity/tranquility = temporary control of desire
                         and impulse with reason.

        6.  Joy/rapture = contentment felt as a result of the
                          satisfaction of some desire.

        7.  Learning = dedication to the betterment of one's
                          life by learning from the ideas and
                          experiences of one's predecessors and
                          contemporaries.

        8.  Realization = learning a better way through one's
                          own observation of phenomena and application
                          of that previously learned.

        9.  Bodhisattva = life-condition of compassion, in which an
                          individual devotes himself to the happiness of
                          others even if he must sacrifice himself.  The
                          way to self-perfection lies only in the act of
                          compassion .. saving other people from their
                          suffering.

        10.  Buddhahood  = reached when one gains the wisdom to realize
                          the true essence of his own life, the infinite
                          compassion to constantly direct one's activities
                          toward benevolent goals, a perfected self, and
                          total purity of life which nothing can corrupt.

At any one moment, we live in one of these life-conditions, or a
combination. This could change at the next moment, depending on the
external circumstances.

    For example, you are at work. You are going to a concert tonight with
someone very special to you. You can't wait to leave work and time is
going agonizingly slow (the world of Hell). Then,its time to go and you're
very happy excited (the world of rapture and maybe even hunger). You
start to drive to pick up your date and are listening to the radio (the
world of humanity). Some jerk cuts right in front of you and you have to
slam on the brakes and obviously you are angry (the world of anger).
After your date you come home and start studying (the world of learning),
etc, etc. This is a very simplistic example, so don't take too
literally.

    Our minds are unpredictable. One cannot predict what will come to
one's mind in reaction to environmental manifestations. It's chaotic,
and taking into consideration the uncertainty of life and what's going
to happen next, implies multiple previous lifetimes and is a direct proof
that God does not and has never existed (although this is not a concern
here). All you have to do is look into your own mind to see the proof
of this. (This is my own insight not from Buddhist doctrine, although
the fact that science verifies its validity, is more proof of the
validity of Buddhism).

    Depending on what happens in your environment, you have different
feelings. The idea is not to go live on a mountaintop isolated from
everyone else, but to live in the society and make it better. Only
the act of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to the Gohonzon will manifest
your Buddha-nature. Then using the wisdom gained in this life-condition,
we live our lives trying to make them better and at the same make society
better.

    The idea is not to just practice Buddhism or to just live your life.
You have to find the Middle Way, that's best for you and only you can
decide that. So initially you don't have to believe, just try with an
expectation that something is going to happen. Then you will get your
own proof, both subjective and objective. Then you will naturally start
believing.

When our karma becomes manifest, there is an internal cause and an
external cause. The internal cause is our karma (thoughts, words and deeds)
from the past and the external cause to attain Buddhahood is the
Gohonzon.

To verify this, just look into your own mind.

--
   Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.
            Respectfully,

tilley@acl.kodak.com (David Tilley) (12/18/90)

Keith writes:
>  >     Also, another question: does the Nichiren school teach that
>  >, full enlightenment is possible within this lifetime?
>
>That is the idea for practicing Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, to gain
>full and complete enlightenment in this lifetime. With the other Buddhisms,
>one won't gain complete enlightenment and if it takes more than one
>lifetime to do it, it won't happen either.
>
>Actually, chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to the Gohonzon (fundamental
>object of worship, enscribed by Nichiren, and all believers have a
>copy, enscribed only by the High Priest, in their home) one is actually
>in the state of Buddhahood. Here we need to talk about The Great Teacher
>T`ien-T`ai Chi-CHe (Chih-i) (517?-597) in China, and his doctrine
>of ichinen sanzen, 3000 life-conditions in a single moment.

There are many sects that aim at complete enlightenment in this lifetime.
Zen for one. Dogen speaks of the same idea of pratice that Nichiren does.
Except that the practice is different. Dogen reccomends zazen or "sitting"
rather than chanting Nam-Myoho-Rege-Kyo, though by no means does he protest
against chanting either.

Dogen did say that as you practice there is no "other" Buddha. You are Buddha.

thanks.
dave