[soc.religion.eastern] Some Shinto Mythology

loren@dweasel.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) (01/03/91)

	I have some questions about Shinto mythology that I have been
trying to find answers to.

	I remember reading somewhere that there is one creation story
that states that some primordial goddess had given birth to the
islands of Japan. Does anyone know of any more details? Or any books
that discuss Japanese mythology in any detail?

	On the subject of State Shinto, Japan's official religion
earlier in this century, Bertrand Russell claimed something very
unflattering, in a discussion of Plato's Republic in "A History of
Western Philosophy" (published in 1944). He claimed that there were
some official dogmas to the effect that the Emperor was descended from
the Sun Goddess Amaterasu and that Japan had been created earlier than
the rest of the world. Those who questioned these dogmas, even in a
learned work, he had said, would get into trouble. Presumably it would
be very unpatriotic to believe that the there was some land mass older
than the ones on which their great nation is situated. Does anyone
know more of the official dogmas of State Shinto?

	On the subject of obnoxious nationalism, I have read of some
claims that the founder of Nichiren Buddhism had made some claims of
that nature about Japan, that that was where humanity had first
emerged and that Japanese was humanity's first language. If that is
correct, then what "evidence" did he offer for these hypotheses? These
claims seem especially far out since Buddhism is supposed to be a
non-nationalist religion.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster: loren@sunlight.llnl.gov

Since this nodename is not widely known, you may have to try:

loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu

esot@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Eric Sotnak) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan3.083714.3406@nas.nasa.gov> loren@dweasel.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) writes:

>	I have some questions about Shinto mythology that I have been
>trying to find answers to.

[ specifics deleted ]

1. Your best bet for learning about the mythological origins of Japan is
the _Kojiki_ (this just is the Japanese creation epic).

2. The best source for general info. on Shinto is Jean Herbert's book,
_Shinto_ (c. 1968??).

3. A good account of Japanese State Shinto (which is NOT the same as Shinto
proper) is Helen Hardacre's book, _Shinto and the State_ (c. 1989).

  According to the Kojiki, Japan was formed when the two deities, Izanaginokami
and Izanaminokami stirred the primordial foam of the sea with a jeweled-tip
spear.  When they lifted the spear out of the sea, some foam congealed on the
tip of the spear and dripped off forming the islands of Japan.  These islands
were called "onogorojima" or "congealed islands(s)".

  The Kojiki is rather dull (I think) if read in isolation from its influence
on and place in Shinto.  A comprehensive study of Shinto, in turn, requires
at least a passing familiarity with the Kojiki.

  You might also want to look at the _Nihongi_ (no author/trans. known
offhand).

EOS

jdoskow@decwrl.dec.com (Jonathan Doskow) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan3.083714.3406@nas.nasa.gov> loren@dweasel.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) writes:

>	I have some questions about Shinto mythology that I have been
>trying to find answers to.

>the rest of the world. Those who questioned these dogmas, even in a
>learned work, he had said, would get into trouble. Presumably it would
>be very unpatriotic to believe that the there was some land mass older
>than the ones on which their great nation is situated. Does anyone
>know more of the official dogmas of State Shinto?
>
>	On the subject of obnoxious nationalism, I have read of some
>claims that the founder of Nichiren Buddhism had made some claims of
>that nature about Japan, that that was where humanity had first
>emerged and that Japanese was humanity's first language. If that is
>correct, then what "evidence" did he offer for these hypotheses? These
>claims seem especially far out since Buddhism is supposed to be a
>non-nationalist religion.

Since I haven't read all of Nichiren's writings I can't give an
authoratative answer, but there are a few observations I can make.

1)  There are several Nichiren sects.  They differ radically in theology,
    and relationship to Shinto is one aspect where that difference
    manifests itself.  The sect with which most westerners are familiar,
    Nichiren Shoshu, fiercely resisted forced practice of Shinto during
    the war.  Readers in other news groups may be tired of hearing me
    repeat this, but here it is again.  The founder of a lay society
    of Nichiren Shoshu, the Soka Gakkai, died in prison (November, 1943?)
    for opposing State Shinto, militarism, and the war.  The reasons for
    his opposition ran the gamut from religions to social.  His first
    disciple was also imprisoned with him but survived and built the
    Soka Gakkai that we know today.  As to the other sects, they offered
    no such tangible opposition and I suspect that some of them may have
    welcomed the government's attempts to force recalcitrant groups like
    Nichiren Shoshu to merge with them.

2)  The writings of Nichiren that are extent - and there are some 400
    seperate documents in his own hand or reliably attributed to him -
    consist of two types.  One is theoretical treatises, the other is
    letters to belivers.  Of the latter, I can well believe that he may
    have used an individual's beliefs as a means to explain some
    principal of Buddhism, and such references could be taken out of
    context to support the contentions above.  He likely offered no
    "evidence" to their validity.

    In the exegetical writings that deal with the relationship between
    the ideas that people revere (their religion) and the social,
    economic, and political consequences thereof, the universal and
    peaceful character of his teaching is clear.

    Suffice it to say that, when a complete volume of his works was
    published under the wartime government, the volume was censored in
    over 600 places for references thought to disrespect the emperor or
    some tenet of the official theology.  One quote that comes to mind
    (I'll provide publisher, date, page, etc if anyone wants it)
    describes the rulers of Japan as "island cheiftains."  I consider
    this reference to be both derogatory and diminutive.

The thing I like about moral absolutes is that there are so many to
        choose from.

Opinions expressed are those of the author.
	jdoskow@Tymnet.COM