[soc.religion.eastern] subtle mission

HARM@SLACVM.slac.stanford.edu (01/11/91)

consider:                                less
     With no men on Earth, there would be no danger of extermination
                of all life and resources on Earth.
     We have worked for thousands of years to develope the skill to
                cause complete destruction.
     All acts of the "civilized" man result in destruction of some
                tangible resource.
     Even the perpetuation of inflationary population growth is keeping
                with the rushing to the end of all life.
Now the extermination of Earth life could come about as the result of
     a comet or natural disaster of some sort but maybe the purpose of
     the life of men is to be that natural disaster.  In this particular
     case the return to non-living universe is the unknowing goal of
     mankind.
If each man were as a drop of water with nature coming into being and
     returning to the sea, refusing to explode with destructive
     invention and unnecessary activity.
Doubting this recall the law of Entropy.  Every action causes the universe
     to move toward a peaceful energy level of smooth dispersion.
I am depressing myself. Please prove me wrong.
Being one with nature can be a sad thing.
Being at odds with nature can bring wealth and power, like oil companies and
     insurance companies.  perhaps not at odds but manipulative and
     abusive of nature, or is that itself natural for us to do and
     possibly our subtle mission.

This is obviously not the opinion or policy of any company or organization
                  of which I am aware.

kde@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Keith Evans) (01/19/91)

In <1991Jan11.013338.14038@nas.nasa.gov> HARM@SLACVM.slac.stanford.edu writes:

>     We have worked for thousands of years to develope the skill to
>                cause complete destruction.
>     All acts of the "civilized" man result in destruction of some
>                tangible resource.

Maybe because man does not use his wisdom to the fullest.

>Being at odds with nature can bring wealth and power, like oil companies and
>     insurance companies.  perhaps not at odds but manipulative and
>     abusive of nature, or is that itself natural for us to do and
>     possibly our subtle mission.

I think that this kind of thinking comes from the Judeo-Christian
religions, saying that humans can use the Earth for their own purposes.
Whereas Buddhism talks about the Middle Way, which in this case can be
seen as advancing technology and preserving the environment, simultaneously.
One in the state of Buddhahood has infinite wisdom and can figure out
how to do such things.

(As the last line in the film "The Color of Money". Paul Newman
says, "I'm back!"

--
   Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.
            Respectfully,

moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Len Moskowitz) (01/31/91)

Keith Evans writes:

 > I think that this kind of thinking comes from the Judeo-Christian
 > religions, saying that humans can use the Earth for their own
 > purposes.

The term "Judeo-Christian" lumps together two very different religions
and viewpoints.  It is rarely appropriate.

I don't know where you got your information, but the Jewish way
demands protection of the Earth, a stewardship complete with
sabbaticals for the fields, years of non-use for young fruit trees,
sensitivity to the sufferings of all living things, and an absolute
prohibition on thoughtless waste.

Len Moskowitz