[soc.religion.eastern] 2nd post for info on Mantras

fleischer@uunet.UU.NET (04/11/91)

About a month ago, I asked if anyone knew how the TM folk pick their Mantras.
My thanks to the handful of people who replied, either by EMAIL or NEWS.  The
remainder of this posting is a request for details about those replies and a
second appeal for pointers in the literature regarding Mantra selection (TM or
others).

Pat Thompson recommended Sahaja Yoga.  I have not been
able to find any place in the Cleveland, Ohio area where it is
practiced -- and all my EMAIL to Pat has bounced (so I would
appreciate it if Pat or any other Sahaja enthusiasts
could give me more information).

Roger Adams suggested a book on meditation I could order
through the Himilayan Institute of Yoga Science and
Pholosophy in PA.  No one has answered the Pittsburg number listed
[(412)682-7779] during the business day.  (Maybe the Institute has a day job.)
(If anyone has any information on the HIYSP or the book possibly by Pandit Arya
on meditation, please let me know.)

I close with the promised second appeal for information on Mantra selection.
I'll take anything serious: literature pointers, your personal experience with
a particular Mantra (how it was selected, how it affected you...),
literature summaries (especially literature summaries).

                                              Rick Fleischer
                                              (216)646-3635

walsha@uunet.UU.NET (04/12/91)

In article <4212.28032185@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, fleischer@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
> About a month ago, I asked if anyone knew how the TM folk pick their Mantras.
> My thanks to the handful of people who replied, either by EMAIL or NEWS.  The
> remainder of this posting is a request for details about those replies and a
> second appeal for pointers in the literature regarding Mantra selection (TM or
> others).
>
> ....[material deleted]
>
>                                               Rick Fleischer

hi rick,

 i know i'm close enough to shout, but for the sake of the net thread,
i'll post.

maybe it would help to theoretically divide mantras into theistic ones
and non-theistic ones.

theistic ones would include:
    namu Shiva nimaya (that's probably a "sic?")
    Krishna mantras,
    the 99 names of Allah in islamic tradition (where mantras are called
wazifas, i think).
    ... the name of any deity or phrase containing it. (e.g. La illaha
illa 'llah).

non-theistic one would include
    the syllables or vowels supposed to be effective on certain chakras.
    sanskrit words like "ashanti" (peace).
    the old standby "Om."
    just any sound repeated to center the mind.

it would be interesting if folks had any practical experiance or
experiential preference between these two families would let us know
what they'd found out. or what proved effective for them. and also
what they mean by "effective" - what they were aiming to accomplish
spiritually.

   ando.