[soc.religion.eastern] Question for Zen Sitters

mva@prefect.bellcore.com (Madhav Apte) (04/19/91)

Hi Folks

	what's going on?  Is it my site or noone has posted here
	for a few weeks?  Maybe with the departure of Keith Evans
	no one has any controversial stuff to talk about, eh?

	Well, here's a mostly serious (but maybe slightly tongue-in-cheek)
	question.  You've all heard the zen quote/koan that goes
	"when hungry, eat; when tired, sleep", right?

	Well, if I go to a zen monastery for a retreat or a sesshin,
	what happens?  When I am hungry, I cannot eat.  When I am
	sleepy, I cannot sleep.  To make things worse, I have to eat
	when I may not be hungry, and sleep when I may not be sleepy
	(well, more like - get up when I may not want to).

	So, is this not a contradiction?  I know what you are thinking.
	Already, you have some answers.  Well, I can think of some
	sleaze-outs myself (below).  But I am interested in what
	you think.

	My "out":
	- It would be great if one could sleep when sleepy and eat when
	hungry : but since most of us are not truly aware of ourselves,
	we let our egos/desiring minds take over;  we eat/sleep
	indiscriminately.  So FIRST we have to develop the kind of
	discrimination that allows us to KNOW when we are truly
	hungry/sleepy and develop the discipline that forces us
	to eat/sleep at those times.  What's more, with that kind
	of discipline, our body soon gets hungry, oh - only about
	3 times a day, say morning, noon and evening.  And we sleep
	mostly from 10 pm to 5 am.  So you use the retreat/sesshin
	to GET to this stage - hence you have to follow a schedule
	that initially may not suit you.

	- Madhav
	mva@maestro.cc.bellcore.com

jwl@mvutd.att.com (James W Lacey) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr19.060737.4906@nas.nasa.gov> mva@maestro.bellcore.com (Madhav Apte) writes:
>Hi Folks
>
>	what's going on?  Is it my site or noone has posted here
>	for a few weeks?  Maybe with the departure of Keith Evans
>	no one has any controversial stuff to talk about, eh?
>
>	Well, here's a mostly serious (but maybe slightly tongue-in-cheek)
>	question.  You've all heard the zen quote/koan that goes
>	"when hungry, eat; when tired, sleep", right?
>
>	Well, if I go to a zen monastery for a retreat or a sesshin,
>	what happens?  When I am hungry, I cannot eat.  When I am
>	sleepy, I cannot sleep.  To make things worse, I have to eat
>	when I may not be hungry, and sleep when I may not be sleepy
>	(well, more like - get up when I may not want to).
>
>	So, is this not a contradiction?  I know what you are thinking.
>	Already, you have some answers.  Well, I can think of some
>	sleaze-outs myself (below).  But I am interested in what
>	you think. [deletions]

IMHO, buddhism generally (and probably zen as well) offers
the idea of multiple paths.  (For example, in the concept of
the Greater Vehicle.)   A contradiction would exit only if
there were "one best way" for everyone and everytime.  But
people are different, and even the same person changes over
time.  The freedom of "eat when hungry" is one way; the
discipline of a monastery is another.

jim
my own opinions