[soc.religion.eastern] Is there any truth in this?

moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Len Moskowitz) (04/25/91)

I'm not sure if this the apprporiate forum for this question.  If not,
please ignore it.  I hope this question does not offend anyone, for
that is not my intention.

The following non-fiction account appeared in soc.culture.jewish,
posted by a representative of a Chasidic organization.  I was
wondering if the readers of soc.religion.eastern might comment on it.

 > Ilan Horowitz was very tense. Bewildered and spiritually troubled,
 > his problems had reached their peak, and he was at the point where
 > he had to decide in which direction to go. The session he would
 > have with his guru would surely clarify these matters and would
 > finally determine his place in the world. And then, the guru said
 > something that totally shocked him. "According to our tradition,
 > Moses received all the secret and esoteric knowledge on Mount
 > Sinai, and hid it in the Torah of the Jews. What we possess is only
 > the leftover crumbs. If you are a Jew, go and learn these secrets
 > from the Jews themselves!"
 >
 > Ilan says, "I was absolutely shocked by the guru's words. This was
 > after I had already spent several years studying the mystical
 > wisdom of the East. I was meditating and practicing yoga. The
 > guru--quite a famous one--was my teacher and guide. Judaism was the
 > furthest thing from my mind. I was really quite anti-religious.
 > When the guru directed me toward Judaism, I was stunned.  Here I
 > was, trying to escape from it, and the guru sends me right back!"
 >
 > The course of Ilan's life was rather conventional. He was born in
 > Israel, served in the army after his schooling, and continued
 > studying at the University of Tel Aviv. After that, he went to
 > Boston to study acupuncture. "I was very interested in the
 > philosophy of the East, and I found Chinese medicine to be a
 > fascinating and compelling field," he says. He studied under a
 > well-known Chinese expert, by the name of Dr. Soo.
 > Today, Ilan is a Lubavitcher chasid. He lives in Jerusalem, works
 > in a private clinic, writes books, and also teaches the principles
 > of Chinese medicine.

Strangely enough, I have a friend in NY who also studied Chinese
medicine.  He related that his teacher told him roughly the same
thing.

Has anyone else come across this "tradition" or know its source?

Len Moskowitz

aloise@jpl-devvax.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jim Aloise) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.201618.3725@nas.nasa.gov> moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Len Moskowitz) writes:

>I'm not sure if this the apprporiate forum for this question.  If not,
>please ignore it.  I hope this question does not offend anyone, for
>that is not my intention.
>
>The following non-fiction account appeared in soc.culture.jewish,
>posted by a representative of a Chasidic organization.  I was
>wondering if the readers of soc.religion.eastern might comment on it.
>
> > Ilan Horowitz was very tense. Bewildered and spiritually troubled,
> > his problems had reached their peak, and he was at the point where
> > he had to decide in which direction to go. The session he would
> > have with his guru would surely clarify these matters and would
> > finally determine his place in the world. And then, the guru said
> > something that totally shocked him. "According to our tradition,
> > Moses received all the secret and esoteric knowledge on Mount
> > Sinai, and hid it in the Torah of the Jews. What we possess is only
> > the leftover crumbs. If you are a Jew, go and learn these secrets
> > from the Jews themselves!"
> >
> > Ilan says, "I was absolutely shocked by the guru's words. This was
> > after I had already spent several years studying the mystical
> > wisdom of the East. I was meditating and practicing yoga. The
> > guru--quite a famous one--was my teacher and guide. Judaism was the
> > furthest thing from my mind. I was really quite anti-religious.
> > When the guru directed me toward Judaism, I was stunned.  Here I
> > was, trying to escape from it, and the guru sends me right back!"
> >
> > The course of Ilan's life was rather conventional. He was born in
> > Israel, served in the army after his schooling, and continued
> > studying at the University of Tel Aviv. After that, he went to
> > Boston to study acupuncture. "I was very interested in the
> > philosophy of the East, and I found Chinese medicine to be a
> > fascinating and compelling field," he says. He studied under a
> > well-known Chinese expert, by the name of Dr. Soo.
> > Today, Ilan is a Lubavitcher chasid. He lives in Jerusalem, works
> > in a private clinic, writes books, and also teaches the principles
> > of Chinese medicine.
>
>Strangely enough, I have a friend in NY who also studied Chinese
>medicine.  He related that his teacher told him roughly the same
>thing.
>
>Has anyone else come across this "tradition" or know its source?
>

>Len Moskowitz

	I recognize this technique. Whether it applies here or not is of course
not knowable to me. The factors are that the student is not of great promise -
or rather not of condition or temperament for the particular guru, and has been
in constant struggle to reject or escape from his heritage - or destiny as the
guru may see it. The guru knows the best course of action is to embrace this
destiny. The disciple must be sent off with total conviction that this is the
correct action, there must be no reservations or the disciple is vulnerable to
great difficulties. The guru says what the disciple must hear to achieve this
state of mind. There is truth in what the guru says, but there are many levels
of this truth. If the guru was to do anything otherwise he would be mis-serving
the disciple.