[soc.religion.eastern] eastern texts

cracraft@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Stuart Cracraft) (04/28/91)

    From: stone@mprgate.mpr.ca (Darren Stone)
    Subject: Eastern religious texts in computer form?

    I've seen a version or two of the Christian Bible
    available on ftp sites and other such computer
    sources.  But are there any eastern religious texts
    available in a similar format?

    - Darren -

Yes, there's a copy of a Tibetan book on the net, something
about not being materialistic about religious teachings.
I can probably dig up the reference.

	--Stuart

sandy@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Sandy Dance) (05/02/91)

>    From: stone@mprgate.mpr.ca (Darren Stone)
>    Subject: Eastern religious texts in computer form?

>    I've seen a version or two of the Christian Bible
>    available on ftp sites and other such computer
>    sources.  But are there any eastern religious texts
>    available in a similar format?

>    - Darren -

I believe the Vipassana Meditation centre at Igatpuri,  India under
the guidance of S.N. Goenka have a project to transcribe the Buddhist
Pali texts onto IBM PCs.  I could provide their address if you're
interested in contacting them.

Sandy   sandy@cs.mu.oz.au   Melbourne University

sandy@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Sandy Dance) (05/03/91)

For those of you who requested the address of the group that are
transcribing the Pali Buddhist texts onto PC, here are some addresses:

Vipassana International Academy,
Dhammagiri,
Igatpuri 422 403,
Dist. Nasik, Maharashtra
India
(tel Igatpuri 76)

Vipassana Meditation Centre,
Dhammabhumi,
P.O.Box 103, Blackheath,
N.S.W. 2785
Australia
(tel 047 877 436)

Vipassana Meditation Centre,
Dhammadhara,
P.O.Box 24 Shelburne Falls,
Massachusets, 01370
U.S.A.
(tel 413 625 2160)

I dont think they are about to go on the net, but you never know!
I hope this is of some assistance.

Sandy   sandy@cs.mu.oz.au  Melbourne University

SECBH%CUNYVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (05/09/91)

Another group which is putting the Pali Canon onto PC, according to
their listing in "Buddhism in America" is the Metta Foundation in
Garrison, NY.  If anyone is interested in their address and phone
number, send me e-mail and I will look them up.

Jack Carroll