[soc.religion.eastern] Some Questions

moorthy@hctdemo.leis.bellcore.com (moorthy) (05/30/91)

	What do different Buddhistic schools say about the next Avatar?
	(Is there a concept of Avatar in Buddhism?)

	Is there an authentic account of "Kalki" Avatar ( the next Avatar) in
	Hindu scriptures?
	/moorthy

radams@cerritos.edu (05/30/91)

moorthy@hctdemo.leis.bellcore.com (moorthy) writes:

>	What do different Buddhistic schools say about the next Avatar?
>	(Is there a concept of Avatar in Buddhism?)
>
>	Is there an authentic account of "Kalki" Avatar ( the next Avatar) in
>	Hindu scriptures?
>	/moorthy

What is an avatar? A divine incarnation.  In a sense, we are all avatars
since the divine is incarnated in all beings - sentient and insentient.
An avatar, as it is described in the AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI by Paramahansa
Yogananda, is a fully liberated soul, who became liberated in a previous
incarnation, and who returns to this physical dimension to help yet unliberated
souls to also be free.  The AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI describes in detail what
an avatar is, what are some of the traits an avatar has, and names some of
them including some who were still around at the time of the writing of this
book.  This seems to indicate to me that there is no such thing as THE AVATAR
or THE NEXT AVATAR except in certain sects or religions.

	Roger Adams

	radams@cerritos.edu               To those in whom love dwells,
	Cerritos College                  the whole world is one family.
	11110 Alondra Blvd                             A Hindu Proverb
        Norwalk, California 90650
	USA

dogen@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Chq) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.192025.13902@nas.nasa.gov> moorthy@hctdemo.leis.bellcore.com (moorthy) writes:

>	What do different Buddhistic schools say about the next Avatar?
>	(Is there a concept of Avatar in Buddhism?)
>
>	Is there an authentic account of "Kalki" Avatar ( the next Avatar) in
>	Hindu scriptures?
>	/moorthy

Concerning Buddhism, as I recall, during this 'cycle of time' there are 3
bodhisattvas, Dipankara who arrived before the Buddha, Siddhartha who was
the historical Buddha, and Maitreya who is yet to arrive (though the
Theosophists claim Krishnamurti was the incarnation of Maitreya).  There is
an interesting Buddhist 'prophesy', in the Tibetan tradition (?) which
states that "when the iron bird flies and horseless carraiges are used, the
Dharma will be born in the land of the red man."  I'm not exactly sure of
the accuracy of my recollection.  I'm sure others on this board are more
knowledable on this subject.

I should also add that the zen tradition, while not disagreeing with this
prophesy, says it is of little importance whether or not the Avatar
Maitreya comes or not.  What is most important is your awarness of this
present moment of existence.  Of course, this is also the tradition that
says "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!" (Please don't take
this literally). 8-)
							J. C.
-- John Cha
"The present is always more interesting than the future or the past"

cyee@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au (Chut Ngeow YEE) (05/30/91)

Roger Adams writes:

>moorthy@hctdemo.leis.bellcore.com (moorthy) writes:
>
>>	What do different Buddhistic schools say about the next Avatar?
>>	(Is there a concept of Avatar in Buddhism?)
>>
>>	Is there an authentic account of "Kalki" Avatar ( the next Avatar) in
>>	Hindu scriptures?
>>	/moorthy
>
>What is an avatar? A divine incarnation.  In a sense, we are all avatars

This is what Da Avabhasa (Da Free John) has to say about the parodox of
an Avatar:

"But people want the Guru to be the Avatar. They want that exclusive
God image, whereas God doesn't exist in the exclusive sense.  God is
absolute. And the Guru lives as the Present Divine, not because he
has attained anything, but because he has been undone. So he doesn't
represent himself as the Divine in the exclusive sense. In his ecstatic
speech he claims identity with the Divine, but he is not making a
statement about himself, about his ego or his personal qualities in
some exclusive sense. He is making a statement about all beings and
worlds, about the Nature of Reality, the Condition that is God. Of
course until there are others who realize that same happiness, that
same enjoyment, he seems unique, and he functins for them as the Source
of the operation of the Divine Sidhhi[spiritual power] in order to
generate the life of Understanding in them. But in fact he doesn't
exist as God in any exclusive sense whatoever. so there is no Avatar
except the whole [of mankind and all beings], if it makes any sense to
use such words at all."
                                                               DA AVABHASA
                                                   Grabage and the Goddess

>since the divine is incarnated in all beings - sentient and insentient.
>An avatar, as it is described in the AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A YOGI by Paramahansa
>Yogananda, is a fully liberated soul, who became liberated in a previous
>incarnation, and who returns to this physical dimension to help yet unliberated
>souls to also be free.

Saying that the divine is incarnated in all beings implies that the ego is
divine, to be glorified after fulfilling some grand path to enlightenment.
I agree more to the view that the ego and the phenomena world is a temporary
and spontaneous activity rising and falling in God or Buddha Nature or
Transcendental Consciousness or Reality or One-Mind or whatever you want to
call it.  So the destiny of the ego (the re-incarnating entity), the imaginary
disease of separation and unelightenment, is ultimately to be undone. And all
realizers serve that purpose in one way or another. Here is another quote
from Da Avabhasa:

"The Disposition of the Enlightened one is paradoxical. It is a bodily
Disposition, because he is, in a conventional sense, enbodied, and he
therefore represents the past and its movement toward the future. And,
paradoxically, his obligation is to somehow serve the Enlightenment of
other beings. But from the point of view of Enlightenment itself there
are no other beings, and those conventions of experience that we call
other beings are not in fact failing to be Enlightened. They are
                                                             ---
Enlightenment. They are themselves only the Radiant Transcendental
Consciousness. Therefore, all that we are confronting is a conventional
concept of bondage and the need to survive. It is a superficial concept,
and yet all beings are profoundly organized around these notions of
bondage and survival.  They create their daily lives around motives based
in these notions. Thus, all beings appear to be tormented, and yet their
torment is totally superficial and insignificant. The affair of life is
unnecessary, but it is inevitable. The best description of it is that it
is absurd. The entire universe and all experience exist only to be
transcended.

The Spiritual Master is absurd, like everything else. He is a Function
that serves to Enlighten or Awaken beings from this condition that is
absurd and unneccessary to begin with. The occupation of the Spirutial
Master is as absurd as anything anyone else does, you see. Therefore,
it requires a Sense of Humour, or the Enlightened point of view...."

                                                               DA AVABHASA
                                       The Enlightenment of the Whole Body

jwl@mvutd.att.com (James W Lacey) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.192025.13902@nas.nasa.gov> moorthy@hctdemo.leis.bellcore.com (moorthy) writes:

>	What do different Buddhistic schools say about the next Avatar?
>	(Is there a concept of Avatar in Buddhism?)

The future Buddha is called Maitreya, with more "attention"
being paid to Maitreya in Central Asia than South Asia.
In Tibet, numerous  mountains would be inscribed with,
"Come, Maitreya, come!"  (Source: Buddhist Scriptures, published
by Penguin.)

If by avatar you mean a 'divine being' of some kind, then
some Buddhists would belive that Maitreya is an avatar,
while others think that any talk about 'divine beings' is just
idle speculation.

--
|Jim Lacey          |
|my own opinions    |

Paul.Gillingwater@actrix.gen.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.155617.8703@nas.nasa.gov> dogen@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Chq) writes:
> Concerning Buddhism, as I recall, during this 'cycle of time' there are 3
> bodhisattvas, Dipankara who arrived before the Buddha, Siddhartha who was
> the historical Buddha, and Maitreya who is yet to arrive (though the
> Theosophists claim Krishnamurti was the incarnation of Maitreya).  There is

Sorry, not quite true.  The theosophists never claimed that K. was
the actual incarnation of the Maitreya Buddha.  They did claim that
he was a particularly special person, who was being trained to act
as a "vehicle" for the Maitreya, who would "overshadow"
Krishnamurti.

Some observers from that time suggest that this "overshadowing" may
have occured on a few occasions, but K. chose a different path, one
which IMHO is more appropriate to current secular conditions.  Early
theosophical leaders made the mistake that their "Masters" had
warned them of, i.e. establishing a theosophical "popery".  The
decision by K. to repudiate all claims to messiahship was the only
realistic option he could take.  His subsequent life and teachings
show how perceptive this early teachers (Leadbeater et. al.) were in
identifying him as something quite special.

> an interesting Buddhist 'prophesy', in the Tibetan tradition (?) which
> states that "when the iron bird flies and horseless carraiges are used, the
> Dharma will be born in the land of the red man."  I'm not exactly sure of
> the accuracy of my recollection.  I'm sure others on this board are more
> knowledable on this subject.

There have been some extremely interesting prophetic manuscripts
translated at the University of Dharmasala in northern India in
recent years, particularly one set by a US scholar.  Although I have
not seen the translations personally, while visiting India four
years ago I heard descriptions of a great southern land with a large
red rock (Australians may recognize uluru), plus a geographic
description of a country with two large islands and one small island
(NZ).
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.gen.nz