[net.bugs.4bsd] sending SIGCONT to suid root child processes

ruth@wcwvax.UUCP (Ruth Moulton) (05/08/85)

Subject: sending SIGCONT to suid root child process
Newsgroups: net.bugs.4bsd

Has anyone come accross this problem I am experiencing?:

I have a process which spawns a child which executes a set uid to root
process. The parent wishes to signal the child to tell it when to exit, so
following the manual page kill(2) in the 4.2 manual, I try to send
SIGCONT. However the child does not receive the signal.

I know there are  ways round this, like having the parent suid root
too, but for various reasons I would like to have it work like it
says in the book...

(p.s. - an apology - I sent the start of this item last week by mistake!)

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/09/85)

> I have a process which spawns a child which executes a set uid to root
> process. The parent wishes to signal the child to tell it when to exit, so
> following the manual page kill(2) in the 4.2 manual, I try to send
> SIGCONT. However the child does not receive the signal.

The way the shell handles this is to send a SIGCONT to the process
group that the child is in.

-Ron