[net.bugs.4bsd] syslog on 4.2BSD

avolio@decuac.UUCP (07/07/86)

In article <242@sysdes.UUCP>, dk@sysdes.UUCP writes:
> Can anyone explain why a vanilla 4.2BSD setup (no ethernet etc)
> *always* produces
>     syslog: send: Network Unavailable

Syslog uses sockets to write out its information (I suspect you aren't
getting anything logged to /usr/spool/mqueue/syslog, are you?).  You
must have a valid entry for `localhost'  in /etc/hosts for it to work.
Such as....

# Host Database
#
127.0.0.1 localhost

If you are not on any other network, you can add your hostname to that
line.  But localhost (note, it is that string, not your host name!)
needs to be there.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM				* Fight the Fight *

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (07/07/86)

In article <242@sysdes.UUCP> dk@sysdes.UUCP writes:
>Can anyone explain why a vanilla 4.2BSD setup (no ethernet etc)
>*always* produces
>    syslog: send: Network Unavailable
>whenever sendmail(8) runs?

Sure, if you'll explain why your message was dated 11 July but I
saw it here on 7 July ....

Sendmail tries to contact the "syslog" daemon using IP
protocols.  If you haven't included "options INET", etc.,
then it can't do it.  You could try setting the log level
in /usr/lib/sendmail.cf to zero.  Look for a line like
"OL9" and change it to "OL0".  If the file /usr/lib/sendmail.fc
exists you will have to run sendmail with the "-bz" option to
update it.

But why not just add
	options INET
and
	pseudo-device	pty
	pseudo-device	loop
	pseudo-device	inet
to your system configuration?  You may find you want the
features even without an ethernet.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

dk@sysdes.UUCP (07/11/86)

Can anyone explain why a vanilla 4.2BSD setup (no ethernet etc)
*always* produces
    syslog: send: Network Unavailable
whenever sendmail(8) runs?

It doesn't happen on the SUN-3, bythe way.....