[net.music] 'Dreaming' interpretation sought

tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor) (07/30/85)

Can anyone suggest what the last line of 'There Goes a Tenner' refers to:

     There's a ten shilling note,
     Remember them? That's when we used to vote for him.

It really bugs me...

Steve Tynor
--
Steve Tynor
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!tynor

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/31/85)

> From: tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor)

> Can anyone suggest what the last line of 'There Goes a Tenner' refers to:

>     There's a ten shilling note,
>     Remember them? That's when we used to vote for him.

Well on the surface level of the song, Kate is one of a bunch of bank
robbers, but when the safe is blown up, something goes wrong and she
gets conked on the head with rubble or something, and starts
hallucinating about a mixture of her past and the current situation with
money flying all over the place.  I assume that in the line "Pockets
floating in the breeze", "pockets" is a British slang term for paper
money.  I also assume that ten shilling notes are not made any more.

But I have no idea, when ten shilling notes were made, or who Kate's
character would have voted for at the time when ten shilling notes were
made.  If any one else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

			"I hope you remember
			 To treat the gelignite tenderly for me"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) (08/01/85)

> > From: tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor)
> > Can anyone suggest what the last line of 'There Goes a Tenner' refers to:
> >     There's a ten shilling note,
> >     Remember them? That's when we used to vote for him.
>
>                             ....  I assume that in the line "Pockets
> floating in the breeze", "pockets" is a British slang term for paper
> money.  I also assume that ten shilling notes are not made any more.

I've never heard the term "pockets" used for paper money;"quid", "fiver" and
"tenner" are the usual ones (for #1 #5 #10).

Doug you're correct in your assumption, "the ten-bob" note is no-longer. It
disapeared around 1971 (when our curency went decimal), and was replaced by a
7-sided coin!

> But I have no idea, when ten shilling notes were made, or who Kate's
> character would have voted for at the time when ten shilling notes were
> made.  If any one else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!
> 			 Doug Alan
> 			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

I was wondering about this when I saw the original posting. I thought it may
have something to do with whatever was printed on the "ten-bob" note, but
I can't remember what was on them, or for that matter, who the leading
political figures were at the time.

Who are the present ones anyway ? :-)
--
 [ I bought a ticket to the world,
                              But now I've come back again - Spandau Ballet ]

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (08/01/85)

> Can anyone suggest what the last line of 'There Goes a Tenner' refers to:
>
>      There's a ten shilling note,
>      Remember them? That's when we used to vote for him.
>
> It really bugs me...

I always thought it referred to a politician depicted on the ten shilling
note.  I don't know much about British history, though; do they still have
ten shilling notes?
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	"Fvzcyvsl, fvzcyvsl."  -- UQG