[net.cse] Should Computer Science be taought at the High School level?

barbaraz@tektools.UUCP (Barbara Zanzig) (12/23/84)

Newsgroups: net.cse
Subject: Re: Should Computer Science be taught at the High School level?
In article <2237@garfield.UUCP> andrew@garfield.UUCP (Andrew Draskoy) writes:
>Who is going to teach the courses?  Around here, the teachers mostly
>learned what they knew from a two-week course on BASIC offered to teachers
>during the summer.  Obviously some of them would know more, but how many?

What if we, the working professionals, teach the courses?  Here in Portland,
they have a program called SEED, which teaches disadvantaged, low-income
children advanced mathematics.  One of the keys to success of the program
is it relies on volunteer community professionals who *do* have the
expertise to make it work.

Why shouldn't we give a little time if we care about the education of our
(and society's) children?

Barbara Zanzig
{allegra, ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax, ...}!tektronix!tektools!barbaraz