[net.cse] College Students Flock to Computer Science

welsch@houxu.UUCP (Larry Welsch) (01/14/85)

There is an excellent article on page 1 of today's, Monday, January 14,
1985, New York Times with the above title.  Reading it I cannot help
wondering if we are killing the goose that laid the golden egg.  By this I
mean that in a few years that there will be many unemployed Computer
Science majors who are at best mediocre programmers.   A similar problem
has occurred in other fields such as Chemical Engineering.  There will
always be room for the top people, but I cannot help but wonder if there
won't be a bust before 1990.

How long do you think the current boom in Computer Science will last and
what will happen when it goes disappears?

						Larry Welsch
						houxu!welsch

ag5@pucc-k (Henry Mensch) (01/15/85)

<<>>

	It seems to me that this "flocking to computer science" is
highly exaggerated.  In this week's Chronicle of Higher Education
that publication's annual survey of college freshmen was published.
3.4% of that sample (182,000) stated that Computer Science would
be their "probable field of study.."  This doesn't seem to be more
than I've seen in the past...

Henry C. Mensch |  User Confuser  | Purdue University User Services
{ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax|purdue|uiucdcs|cbosgd|harpo}!pur-ee!pucc-i!ag5
      ". . . he wasn't festive but was probably ambidextrous"

abc@brl-tgr.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (01/18/85)

In article <505@houxu.UUCP> welsch@houxu.UUCP (Larry Welsch) writes:
>There is an excellent article on page 1 of today's, Monday, January 14,
>1985, New York Times with the above title.  Reading it I cannot help
>wondering if we are killing the goose that laid the golden egg.  By this I
>mean that in a few years that there will be many unemployed Computer
>Science majors who are at best mediocre programmers.   A similar problem
>has occurred in other fields such as Chemical Engineering.  There will
>always be room for the top people, but I cannot help but wonder if there
>won't be a bust before 1990.
>
>How long do you think the current boom in Computer Science will last and
>what will happen when it goes disappears?

Worry not!  Universities, at least in this part of the country, are busy
establishing new, significantly lower enrollment ceilings on numbers of CS
and of Engineering students.  This should take care of overpopulation!

Brint

sigma@usl.UUCP (Spyridon Triantafyllopoulos) (01/25/85)

>There is an excellent article on page 1 of today's, Monday, January 14,
>1985, New York Times with the above title.  Reading it I cannot help
>wondering if we are killing the goose that laid the golden egg.  By this I
>mean that in a few years that there will be many unemployed Computer
>Science majors who are at best mediocre programmers.
>How long do you think the current boom in Computer Science will last and
>what will happen when it goes disappears?

						Larry Welsch
						houxu!welsch

The boom has lasted TOO long. What about the GRADUATE schools that
fill up from ex-(X : X belongs to < $15,000.00/annum) 30+'ers.....
The result is garbaged software (they don't know THAT much to go on
hardware, thank God, or we will have the <generic_hardware> case of
the FORD Pinto and other successes (:-?). Not only that, but as
PRIME candidates for Teaching & Lab Assistants, can create trouble
(i.e, wrong concepts) to innocent people.

What will happen??? Same thing with the Chem. Engineers.... Then
I will enjoy seeing all these people go back to their previous
trades (English, Library Science, Basket Weaving, etc.)

-- Spiros

Spiros Triantafyllopoulos  <> USENET {ut-sally, akgua}!usl!sigma
Computer Science Dept, USL <> CSNet  TriantafyllopoulosS%usl@csnet-relay.ARPA

             "This file contains no opinions whatsoever"