[net.cse] Which schools teach UNIX/C ?

stevens@hsi.UUCP (01/15/85)

We are a small software company who, like everyone else, is looking
for UNIX/C programmers.  Since there are not hordes of these types
beating down our doors looking for jobs, we are trying other methods
of recruiting to keep growing at our planned rate.  One method we are
going to try this spring is college recruiting.  Since we are not IBM
or HP and don't want to visit 500 different institutions, we would like
to concentrate our limited efforts at about a dozen schools in the
East/Northeast/Midwest that have good BS/MS programs in Computer Science
and provide student access and experience to UNIX systems with
(hopefully) experience in C.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinions as to which schools would fit
this need.  Thanks,

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
           ihnp4 ! hsi ! stevens

abc@brl-tgr.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (01/18/85)

In article <176@hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.UUCP writes:
>We are a small software company who, like everyone else, is looking
>for UNIX/C programmers.

Check the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware.

Brint

80825176@sdcc3.UUCP (80825176) (01/28/85)

> We are a small software company who, like everyone else, is looking
> for UNIX/C programmers.  Since there are not hordes of these types
> beating down our doors looking for jobs, we are trying other methods
> of recruiting to keep growing at our planned rate.  One method we are
> going to try this spring is college recruiting.  Since we are not IBM
> or HP and don't want to visit 500 different institutions, we would like
> to concentrate our limited efforts at about a dozen schools in the
> East/Northeast/Midwest that have good BS/MS programs in Computer Science
> and provide student access and experience to UNIX systems with
> (hopefully) experience in C.
>
> I'd be interested in anyone's opinions as to which schools would fit
> this need.  Thanks,
>
> 	Richard Stevens
> 	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
>            ihnp4 ! hsi ! stevens

  I am a student at the University of California, San Diego and
  practically all of my upper division courses are taught in C
  on a Vax running Unix.  I realize you did not mention the West as
  one of your areas of recruiting, but all students at UCSD
  graduating in Computer Science or Engineering have experience in
  Unix and C.

       Harry Snyder

mac@tesla.UUCP (Michael Mc Namara) (01/29/85)

>> We are a small software company who, like everyone else, is looking
>> for UNIX/C programmers.  Since there are not hordes of these types
>> beating down our doors looking for jobs, we are trying other methods
>> of recruiting to keep growing at our planned rate.  One method we are
>> going to try this spring is college recruiting.  Since we are not IBM
>> or HP and don't want to visit 500 different institutions, we would like
>> to concentrate our limited efforts at about a dozen schools in the
>> East/Northeast/Midwest that have good BS/MS programs in Computer Science
>> and provide student access and experience to UNIX systems with
>> (hopefully) experience in C.
>>
>> I'd be interested in anyone's opinions as to which schools would fit
>> this need.  Thanks,
>>
>> 	Richard Stevens
>> 	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
>>            ihnp4 ! hsi ! stevens

	Cornell University, Ithaca, New York has what I consider to be a "good"
Computer Science program, in both BS and MS.  The Electrical Engineering
school also turns out some pretty good programmers... There are many courses
taught in "C" on unix systems, ranging from a Practicum in Operating Systems
to Computer Image Processing.

	Their Career Center is also quite receptive to recruiting companies, and
provides an easy interface to the graduating students.  They can be reached
at (607) 256-5006 from 9 to 5pm.

											--MAC @ Cornell EE.

bryan@wucs.UUCP (Bryan Ewbank) (02/04/85)

> > We are a small software company who, like everyone else, is looking
> > for UNIX/C programmers.  Since there are not hordes of these types
> > beating down our doors looking for jobs, we are trying other methods
> > of recruiting to keep growing at our planned rate.  One method we are
> > going to try this spring is college recruiting.  Since we are not IBM
> > or HP and don't want to visit 500 different institutions, we would like
> > to concentrate our limited efforts at about a dozen schools in the
> > East/Northeast/Midwest that have good BS/MS programs in Computer Science
> > and provide student access and experience to UNIX systems with
> > (hopefully) experience in C.
> >
> > I'd be interested in anyone's opinions as to which schools would fit
> > this need.  Thanks,
> >
> > 	Richard Stevens
> > 	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
> >            ihnp4 ! hsi ! stevens

I am a student at Washington University (in St. Louis, MO).  We have just
installed VAXen running 4.2bsd (at the beginning of the fall semester).  Most
of the graduates here are familiar with UNIX.  About half of them probably fit
into your category of "UNIX/C programmer"

Good Luck with the hunt.
Bryan Ewbank -- Unix Programmer/Designer in search of a job
--
There once was a naive unix user	Bryan Ewbank
Who thought he was a real abuser	bryan@wucs.UUCP (..!ihnp4!wucs!bryan)

sitze@rruxo.UUCP (R Sitze) (02/06/85)

I'm a student from New Mexico (currently on co-op) and both New Mexico State
University (Yea...) and the University of New Mexico (Boo...) use UNIX
in their course work.  Graduating students should have a basic working
knowledge of both UNIX and C programming, amoung others.

chris@byucsa.UUCP (Chris J. Grevstad) (02/06/85)

> In article <176@hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.UUCP writes:
> >We are a small software company who, like everyone else, is looking
> >for UNIX/C programmers.

Check out Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah.

--

	Chris Grevstad
	{ihnp4,noao,mcnc,utah-cs}!arizona!byucsa!chris

	If things don't change they will probably remain the same.