[net.cse] CAI: on-line exam?

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (01/07/86)

Does anyone on the net have experience with having students
do a test or exam on-line? I am in the midst of planning this
for the Bar Admission Course's course in Accounting. I'd be
very interested in hearing from other people's experiences -
special traps to watch out for, planning which has to be done
to get the program right...

Or does no-one trust students not to be able to find a way
to cheat in an on-line exam?

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
(416) 947 3466
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) (01/08/86)

In article <1024@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>Does anyone on the net have experience with having students
>do a test or exam on-line? I am in the midst of planning this

The closest approximation I can come up with is students writing and
running programs in a controled setting (a dedicated time-sharing
machine with all terminals in the same auditorium), under a time limit.
The problem: machine performance degrades with load, load increases
as the end of test approaches, and stress becomes unbearable.

This is not a CAI application per se, but was seen as a way of testing
programming skills more realistically (the time limit was 4 hours) and
to limit attemps to cheat.

>Or does no-one trust students not to be able to find a way
>to cheat in an on-line exam.

Mail was disabled, and permission to copy files from other accounts were
never given...  In this particular example, it is assumed that having
all the students in the same room at the same time allows the classical
exam supervision techniques (don't talk to your neighbour) to be ok.

--

Jean-Francois Lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto,

CSNet:      lamy@toronto.csnet
UUCP:       {utzoo,ihnp4,decwrl,uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!lamy
CDN:        lamy@iro.udem.cdn (lamy%iro.udem.cdn@ubc.csnet)

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (01/14/86)

Constitution tests have been given on PLATO, the great-granddaddy of CAI
systems, for years. Contact Norm Hinton or Bill Bloemer at Sangamon State
University, Springfield, Illinois. I think the ZIP code is 62705, but am not
certain. If you have access to PLATO, you can send p-notes to hinton/ssu or
bloemer/ssu.

"When you are about to die, a wombat is better than no company at all."
				Roger Zelazny, *Doorways in the Sand*

						Wombat
					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat