[net.cse] pitfalls in computer science education

perry@leopard.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (02/15/86)

First, let me state the premis from which I base my opinions:

	A ``good'' Computer *SCIENCE* Education is INVALUABLE

I doubt anyone would claim that formal training will contribute to
*inferior* computer scientists. So what's the rub?

The problem here is one of terminology. Questions:

What is computer science education.
What is *good* computer science education.
What is computer science and what is its relationship to the average
position needing to be filled in industry.

Computer science is  not  hacking.  It isn't coding. It's understanding.
The science of computing is the understanding of the nature of problems.
The understanding of the nature of algorithms. It deals with the art  of
programming (note difference  between  science  and art) only in as much
that programming is the means by  which  computer science can be applied
to become a tangible benefit.

A computer science  education  teaches thinking. Data processing educat-
ion teaches coding.

A *good* computer science education stresses the fundementals of comput-
ing theory and  practice.  Very  importantly, is should teach underlying
principles in a way which facilitates the  translation of the principles
to new and different areas  and  problems  (a new field of research or a
new work assignment).

The main problem with computer  science education, as  I see it, lies in
inadequate measuring of  the understanding held  by students. CS courses
often test (and therefore  in  the  student's  minds *STRESS*) the wrong
things completely!

Testing (and grading) should be  based  upon critical understanding. The
ideal (pie in the sky in most real world classes) way to measure student
learning (and thus influence  what  will be learned) is to subject every
student to a verbal comprehensive examination or a laboratory or both.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean  ``make  them write a program.'' I mean
structure an examination which measures true understanding of principles
rather than simple coding or memory tricks.

There are very few computer  *scientists*  out there. Certainly very few
filling most computer  industry jobs.  Incidently,  I have seen very few
doctoral disserations recently  which are worth  the paper their written
on so the failing in  computer science  education  does  not  end at the
undergraduate level.

In summary - given the worlds greatest hacker and a well rounded computer
scientist - and a  large  number  of  arbitrarily  chosen problems, there
should be no doubt  that  the  super  hacker  will  prove inferior to the
scientist.

*scientist - one who is  adept at  applying  established knowledge in the
solution of new problems or the derivation of new knowledge*

Perry S. Kivolowitz

rgatkinson@watmum.UUCP (Robert Atkinson) (02/17/86)

In article <149@leopard.UUCP> perry@leopard.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>First, let me state the premis from which I base my opinions:
>
>	A ``good'' Computer *SCIENCE* Education is INVALUABLE
>
>I doubt anyone would claim that formal training will contribute to
>*inferior* computer scientists. So what's the rub?

	Formal training can certainly be a detriment if that
	formal training narrows one's vision too much.  Certainly,
	a good formal education is useful in developing a certain
	style of thinking that is often invaluable in many aspects
	of computer science today.  However, (at least in my experience),
	there is a tendency for programs that teach such styles to stifle
	the development of other modes of thinking that are valuable
	in problems where a creative, innovative approach is needed.

>Perry S. Kivolowitz

	-bob atkinson
	watmath!rgatkinson

drew@ukma.UUCP (Andrew Lawson) (02/27/86)

In article <403@watmum.UUCP> rgatkinson@watmum.UUCP (Bob Atkinson) writes:
>>I doubt anyone would claim that formal training will contribute to
>>*inferior* computer scientists. So what's the rub?
>
>        Formal training can certainly be a detriment if that
>        formal training narrows one's vision too much.
>        However, (at least in my experience),
>        there is a tendency for programs that teach such styles to stifle
>        the development of other modes of thinking that are valuable
>        in problems where a creative, innovative approach is needed.
>
>        -bob atkinson
>        watmath!rgatkinson

Before I argue with you on this, how about less ambiguous
statements.  Which styles are "such styles"? What is taught
and how does it stifle development?

--
Drew Lawson
					cbosgd!ukma!drew