[net.cse] Universities

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (03/05/86)

In article <582@hoptoad.uucp>, laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) writes:
> In article <6470@cca.UUCP> g-rh@cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
> >[..]  The universities have always, from the
> >founding of the first universities in the middle ages onward, served
> >a dual function.  One function is to serve a temple of wisdom -- a
> >place where learning for the sake of learning is encouraged and
> >supported.  The other function is to prepare the young for their
> >place in society.
>
> [...]  As far as I know the ``other
> function'' got into the game very late.  From everything that I have
> read it seems that universities were founded to be centres of wisdom.

The following potted history is roughly right:
In England, until the 19century, there were Oxford, Cambridge
and Durham ( and London) which were centers of learning, and
clerical training schools. In the 19thc, there was a vast
increase in education and many others were established. The
universities expanded to accomodate professional training
(medics, lawyers, etc) so became partly vocational.
In America, except for Yale and Harvard, things were similar.
UC Berkeley had Mining, Engineering and Agriculture Schools,
as did most of the land-grant colleges, thus starting out
primarily as vocational institutions.

So a) Most universities started out as being primarily
      professional and vocational training institutions,

   b) Older universities, of which there are very few, were
      centers of learning and clerical training, but added
      function during the watershed

   c) Most nowadays assume both functions

So which purpose a university was founded to serve depends
basically on when it was founded, and cannot reliably
serve as a signal to its present functions.

Peter Ladkin