[net.music] Kate Bush: sexuality & opinion

abh6509@ritcv.UUCP (A. Hudson) (07/31/85)

    I ask you, can we talk? Lets talk about Kate Bush's sexual
preferences. Listen to "The Infant Kiss" - the lyrics propound the
virtues of sexual attraction with with a grossly underage youth.
This is sodomy! It is illegal in most of these United States
as it is considered statuatory rape.
    I ask you, is this "healthier" than the casual recreational
sex that is implied by Mms. Madonna?
    I think not, maybe we should think twice before harping
pedastalled virtues. Sick! Sick! Sick!

					A. Hudson

"And blind acceptance is a sign
 Of stupid fools who stay in line.
 Who?"

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (08/02/85)

In article <8863@ritcv.UUCP> abh6509@ritcv.UUCP (Andrew) writes:
>    I ask you, can we talk? Lets talk about Kate Bush's sexual
>preferences. Listen to "The Infant Kiss" - the lyrics propound the
>virtues of sexual attraction with with a grossly underage youth.
>This is sodomy!

I don't want to talk, I wanna yell:
PLEASE READ THE LYRICS CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING SUCH CONDEMNATION!!!!!!

Some of the lines from the song are
  "I've never fallen for a little boy before....

   His little hand is on my heart
   He's got me where it hurts me
   Knock, Knock, who's there in this baby
   You know how to hurt me....

   All my barriers are going, let go let go...

   There's a man behind those eyes
   I catch him when I'm bending
   Oh how he frightens me...
   Words of caress on his lips
   They speak of adult love...

   I must stay and find a way
   To stop before it gets too much."

The character of the song has fallen for the boy because somehow
the boy seems to be much more mature then he is.  She is frightened and
knows it's wrong "back home they'd call me dirty" and she wants to stop it.
She is not sexually attracted to the boy.  But on the other hand
the man in the boy attracts her and a part of her
wants to go along "let go let go (don't let go)" "I want to smack but
I hold back/I only want to touch".  It's all music drama to me,
expressing the helplessness the character feels since she is trappped
between what she knows is wrong and what a part of her wants to do.
I hardly call that "propound[ing] the virtues of sexual attraction with
a grossly underage youth."
And what's more the word you want is "pedophilia" not "sodomy".
Even if you want to post such unfounded opinions at least get your
terminology correct!

--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (08/02/85)

>     I ask you, can we talk? Lets talk about Kate Bush's sexual
> preferences. Listen to "The Infant Kiss" - the lyrics propound the
> virtues of sexual attraction with with a grossly underage youth.

Propound the virtues?  Hardly.  She's talking about self-control during the
entire song!

> This is sodomy!

I suggest you check your dictionary.  'Sodomy' is the technical term for
male-to-male relations, as 'lesbianism' is for female-to-female relations.

>It is illegal in most of these United States
> as it is considered statuatory rape.
>     I ask you, is this "healthier" than the casual recreational
> sex that is implied by Mms. Madonna?
>     I think not, maybe we should think twice before harping
> pedastalled virtues. Sick! Sick! Sick!
>
> 					A. Hudson

Somehow I still have a faint hope that this was satire.

Somehow I think I'm wrong.

					AMBAR
"Be good; if you can't, be careful; if you can't be careful, name it after me!"