[net.cse] Soviet Computer Science?

watson@nike.UUCP (John S. Watson) (07/08/86)

Being a curious soul I've often wonder what computer language (systems)
is used by a typical Soviet computer scientist.

I've always imagened that Vlad to be using somekind of FORTRAN IV with
all the N's upside-down and backwards.

Do they have and an equivalent UNIX and C over there?   CCCP UUCP?

Thank you,

John S. Watson
NASA Ames Research Center

ARPA: watson@titan.arc.nasa.gov
UUCP: titan!watson

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (07/09/86)

In article <359@nike.UUCP>, watson@nike.UUCP (John S. Watson) writes:
> Being a curious soul I've often wonder what computer language (systems)
> is used by a typical Soviet computer scientist.
>
> I've always imagened that Vlad to be using somekind of FORTRAN IV with
> all the N's upside-down and backwards.
>
> Do they have and an equivalent UNIX and C over there?   CCCP UUCP?

Of course this is only one person, but a person who used to work here
had just came from the Soviet Union, and she was quite knowledgeable
in 360 assembler and Fortran.  Obviously they have the equivalent of
IBM over there.

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102

Vulcan jealousy: "I fail to see the logic in prefering Stonn over me"
Romulan: "Permit me the glory of the kill"

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (07/09/86)

> Being a curious soul I've often wonder what computer language (systems)
> is used by a typical Soviet computer scientist.
> I've always imagened that Vlad to be using somekind of FORTRAN IV with
> all the N's upside-down and backwards.
> Do they have and an equivalent UNIX and C over there?   CCCP UUCP?

RUSKII ASCII?

Actually, I believe the character code is a "National Standard" (GOST),
which means you can be sent to Siberia for using anything else.  I don't
know the code (it's not in the 6CE), but it's probably something like
Russian EBCDIC.

I wonder how they specify "izhitsa" in ditroff....
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

b-davis@utah-cs.UUCP (Brad Davis) (07/10/86)

In article <309@argus.UUCP> ken@argus.UUCP writes:
>Of course this is only one person, but a person who used to work here
>had just came from the Soviet Union, and she was quite knowledgeable
>in 360 assembler and Fortran.  Obviously they have the equivalent of
>IBM over there.

I have read that the Soviets got a hold of a 360 and OS/360 back in the
late 60's or early 70's and were able to clone it.  For a long time the
operating system was the copied OS/360 and much of the hardware research
that the Eastern Block did was on trying to speed up their 360 clone.  I
think that this was true up until the 80's (and still may be true).

--
Brad Davis	{ihnp4, decvax, seismo}!utah-cs!b-davis
		b-davis@utah-cs.ARPA

lab@qubix.UUCP (07/12/86)

> In article <359@nike.UUCP>, watson@nike.UUCP (John S. Watson) writes:
> > Being a curious soul I've often wonder what computer language (systems)
> > is used by a typical Soviet computer scientist.

Depends on what they've managed to steal recently.

> Of course this is only one person, but a person who used to work here
> had just came from the Soviet Union, and she was quite knowledgeable
> in 360 assembler and Fortran.  Obviously they have the equivalent of
> IBM over there.

> Kenneth Ng

Obviously they've managed to illegally obtain U.S. technology - which,
of course, they are now testing in Afghanistan :-(
--
		The Ice Floe of the Window Wizard
		{amd,decwrl,sun,idi,cbosgd,ihnp4}!qubix!lab

El frente y Somoza son la misma cosa.

hoffman@hdsvx1.UUCP (Richard Hoffman) (07/19/86)

In article <359@nike.UUCP>, watson@nike.UUCP (John S. Watson) writes:
> Being a curious soul I've often wonder what computer language (systems)
> is used by a typical Soviet computer scientist.

The June '78 issue of _ACM_Computing_Surveys_ stated:

    During the past ten years the Soviet Bloc has deigned, developed
    and put into operation a series of upward compatible, third
    generation computers known as the Unified System, or Ryad.  This
    family is effectively a reverse engineering of the IBM S/360
    system.

I always got a kick out of the Soviets spending all that effort to reverse
engineer one of the most awesome dinosaurs ever produced (Granted: a great
conception, but what an execution!).  But now I hear that "re-shipped"
(i.e. illegally obtained) VAX-11's are the computer of choice.  I know that
our colleagues in Paris have some difficulty in getting DEC equipment
because of this.
--
 Richard Hoffman                | "If you take a starving dog from the street
 Schlumberger Well Services     | and make him prosperous, the dog will not

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (07/25/86)

In article <299@hdsvx1.UUCP>, hoffman@hdsvx1.UUCP (Richard Hoffman) writes:
> In article <359@nike.UUCP>, watson@nike.UUCP (John S. Watson) writes:
> > Being a curious soul I've often wonder what computer language (systems)
> > is used by a typical Soviet computer scientist.
> The June '78 issue of _ACM_Computing_Surveys_ stated:
>
>     During the past ten years the Soviet Bloc has deigned, developed
>     and put into operation a series of upward compatible, third
>     generation computers known as the Unified System, or Ryad.  This
>     family is effectively a reverse engineering of the IBM S/360
>     system.

Heck, I hear they even duplicated the bugs in the original 360
instruction set!

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp(for a while) ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken
soon uucp:ken@argus.cccc.njit.edu
bitnet(prefered) ken@njitcccc.bitnet
	     or  ken@orion.bitnet
soon bitnet: ken@orion.cccc.njit.edu
(We are VERY slowly moving to RFC 920, kicking and screaming)

Spock: "Captain, you are an excellent Starship Captain, but as
a taxi driver, you need much to be desired."

Savaak: "He's so....human"
Spock: "No one is perfect"

craigw@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (07/30/86)

> conception, but what an execution!).  But now I hear that "re-shipped"
> (i.e. illegally obtained) VAX-11's are the computer of choice.  I know that
> our colleagues in Paris have some difficulty in getting DEC equipment
> because of this.
> --
>  Richard Hoffman

	I'm suprised that DEC hasn't adopted for its advertising the quote
attributed to CIA Director William Casey upon an interception of a
VAX 11/785 to the Eastern Bloc

	Casey called the 785 one of "America's most vital national security
assets".
--
	Craig Werner 	(..!philabs!aecom!werner)
       "This is no social crisis, just another tricky day for you."