[net.cse] Tom!!!!

st122@sdcc12.UUCP (st122) (09/20/86)

Tom, I cannot respond to your wonderful mail because I
can't get back down the same path you send mail to me.  Suffice
it to say that your replies were very funny.  Thank you
for making my whole day and to some degree proving a point
to my credit!  You have been a text book example of
a person I have been illustrating in my book in chapter 3,
right vs wrong (a general person, not a real one, although
you came pretty close to the generality) and it's nice to
see my theory of American culture (well actually just an
observation) prove itself in reality!  The chapter concerns
itself with the need for people to justify what they have
done, what they are doing, and why they have done and are
doing what they do (even if what they are doing or have
done is a waste of time or unethical - unethical doesn't
apply to you).
Classic, classic, classic....

Thanks again,
Frank Bellucci

disclaimers for any writing errors, this is not edited.

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (09/21/86)

In article <699@sdcc12.UUCP>, st122@sdcc12.UUCP (st122) writes:
> Tom, I cannot respond to your wonderful mail because I
> can't get back down the same path you send mail to me.  Suffice
> it to say that your replies were very funny.  Thank you
> for making my whole day and to some degree proving a point
> to my credit!  You have been a text book example of
> a person I have been illustrating in my book in chapter 3,
> right vs wrong (a general person, not a real one, although
> you came pretty close to the generality) and it's nice to
> see my theory of American culture (well actually just an
> observation) prove itself in reality!  The chapter concerns
> itself with the need for people to justify what they have
> done, what they are doing, and why they have done and are
> doing what they do (even if what they are doing or have
> done is a waste of time or unethical - unethical doesn't
> apply to you).
> Classic, classic, classic....

  I love it.  Frank has taken my defense of advanced theoretical studies in
a "Computer Sciences" curriculum and turned it into an attack on programmers.
Now, he asserts that I am a classic example of someone justifying my past or
present actions.

1)  Frank, I have not (intentionally, in any case) denigrated the art of
    programming, nor those who would practice it as a profession.  I admire
    good programmers and good programming.  I have merely pointed out that
    the training needed to be a good programmer is *NOT* the same as the
    training needed to be a (good) COmputer Scientist.  You can rant and
    rave all you like about people without fomral training who have developed
    good software, or succeeded in the commerical software market, it doesn't
    change my point at all.  Without the theoretical foundations laid by
    Computer Scientists (and their associates, mathematicians and EEs) the
    "programmers" wouldn't have anything to work with.  It remains the
    theoreticians who lead the way in the development of new computing
    technology and methodology.

2)   I do not have a degree in computer science, or any other discipline.  I
     would very much like to finish my degree in CS, if I could but afford to
     go to school.  I am defending nothing but a concept.

   Why the dogmatic insistence that because things have worked out for you in
a gicen fashion, this fashion is therefore the only acceptable approach?  Why
denigrate those who are interested in the theoretical aspects of computing?

   If you will pardon the observation, I would suggest that your attitude
appears to be compensatory.  You are extremely defensive about not having a
degree, and you seem to feel a strong need to denigrate those that have or
are persuing such degrees.  Classic, truly classic.

  Note:   I believe that programmers *AND* computer scientists can do a
*BETTER* job if they have at least a passing familiarity with hardware
considerations.  Yes, a programmer can write reasonable software without
such familiarity, and for many applications this is acceptable.  But the
programmer who has a familiarty with hardware considerations is more flexible,
and in a better position not only to produce superior software for those
applications which benefit from such knowledge, but is in a better position to
take advantage of career opportunities because of it.  COmputer scientists
deal frequently with the application of hardware, and so a familiarity with
hardware realities is virtually essential to them.

   It would seem, Frank, that you are arguing that we should turn out inferior
programmers, ill equipped to produce the wide range of hardware dependent
software we will be needing, in order to simplify the curriculum for a few
lazy, shortsighted individuals.  It would further seem that you are arguing
that there is no point in training any more computer scientists, because you
programmers can take it from here.  (I *WISH* I could put a (-: on that!)

   It is essential that we stop worrying about whether or not the reality of
the computing world is elitist or not, and deal with the necessity of training
highly skilled programmers, *AND* highly skilled computer scientists.  This
requires separate curricula, if it is to be accomplished reasonably.

   The details of those curricula are open to discussion, but they remain a
separate issue, as I see it.

--

Disclaimer:  Disclaimer?  DISCLAIMER!? I don't need no stinking DISCLAIMER!!!

tom keller					"She's alive, ALIVE!"
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (09/21/86)

I apologize to everyone, but the more I thought about it, the more irked
I got.  The follwing is a reply to a letter I received from Frank Bellucci.
Mr. Bellucci's comments are denoted by >, mine are not.

I just thought others might want to know more about Mr. Bellucci's frame of
reference.

>	You just overload me with incredible insight!  Thanks for straightening
>	me out!  It's so great to see such a typical letter here in my box from
>	such a typical "theoretician"!
>
>	You want to segregate society into you "bright" people and, of course,
>	those "stupid" programmers.

    That is *YOUR* statement, not mine.  It doesn't even bear close resemblence
    to anything *I'VE* said.

>	I've got nothing against intelligent, computer philosophers, one of
>	which I am.  I have only got something against "degreed theoreticians"
>	who think they are God's gift to the earth or something.  Albert
>	Einstein flunked out of school, but this man was bright enough to
>	to discover amazing ideas without Harvard, Yale, or UCSD's EE department
>	or wherever you graduated from.  The president of ADC, a multi-billion

   Funny, I don't recall claiming to be a graduate, or even a student, in a
   CS program.  I am, in fact, not degreed in any field.  I would like to
   complete my degree in CS someday, should I ever have both the time and
   the money.

>	dollar company, has only a high school degree.  Steve Wasnyak (the
>	spelling is terrible, I know, I guess I'm stupid!) of Apple computer
>	had not even graduated before his fame.  Countless others are in
>	the same boat.
>
>	The point is, and you obviously missed it, is that you can be an
>	incredible computer scientist in the field by learning on your
>	own.   You don't have to go to school to learn it.  The best

    On the contrary, one cannot be a computer scientist at all without studying
    the theory of computation, higher mathematics, and some hardware, BY
    DEFINITION.  Admittedly, it is possible for someone to study these topics
    without the benefit of a university.  But to claim to be a computer
    scientist without having studied these topics is patently ridiculous.

    What you *MEAN* to say is that it is possible to be an incredible
    PROGRAMMER by learning on one's own.  Indeed, this is true, though *MOST*
    people would be better advised to seek the assistance of a good programming
    school.

>	people I have ever met in the field agree.  Shalom Halevy of
>	TRE electronics (PHD radar physics) told me "Frank, don't bother
>	getting advanced degrees.  You are just wasting your time.  You'll
>	never catch up to what you could have done on the job".  Shalom
>	was one of the few theoreticians, along with Dr. Kenneth Bowles
>	of Telesoft, inc and designer of the UCSD p-system, who are not
>	among the "elitists"  who think we should people without degrees
>	in the toilet because, without a degree, they are obviously
>	"stupid". (above correction: we should 'put' people ...)

    I don't make any such claims.  I have made no typification of non-degreed
    persons as "stupid" (or in any other way inferior).  Your self-doubt
    exhibits itself and betrays you.

    All *I* said was that the world needs both programmers *AND* computer
    scientists, and that within the context of the educational systems as
    they exist, that these two groups should be trained differently, as befits
    their differing roles in the computing world.

>	In conclusion, your letter was boring.  I hope you achieve your
>	little segregated society of "programmers" and "degreed computer
>	theorists."  A little power and ego mania trip now and then
>	is good for everybody I guess......

    I don't know where (except for your vivid and twisted imagination) you keep
    coming up with these gems.  Are you *SERIOUSLY* suggesting that those who
    would research the leading edge of theoretical computing should be trained
    in exactly the same fashion as those who would produce working software
    applications?  Are you seriously suggesting that the world has no use for
    theoreticians?  Are you seriously suggesting that *ALL* theoreticians
    are ego maniacs?  You truly are a strange individual, Frank.

    I do note that you are associated with a university.  Why is that, Frank?
    Aren't you afraid someone will accuse you of being an elitist?  Won't those
    pesky academicians pollute your brain with useless learning and knowledge?
    Golly, Frank, you seem to be a hypocrite, on top of it all.

    I personally find it extremely difficult to believe much of anything you
    claim to have accomplished, friend.  Your spelling and grammar are
    atrocious.  And yes, that *DOES* prove something:  programming, among
    other things, is the art of stating carefully devised algorithms in
    precisely tailored language in order to unambiguously instruct the machine
    to cause specifically delineated operations over chosen sets of data.  If
    you can't even communicate effectively and unambiguously in your native
    language, how can you expect anyone to believe that you can successfully
    specify, implement and verify any non-trivial computer program?  Moreover,
    you seem (on the basis of the postings and letters from you that *I* have
    read) incapable of maintaining a coherent pattern of thought, of stating
    a proposal or question in a coherent and logical fashion, and of analyzing
    even simple English for content.  In other words, you are, or would appear
    to be, sir, a fraud.