From: "Bob.Jansen" <jansen@syd.dit.csiro.au>
Subject: Electronic Journals

Although the techniques we are proposing are currently applicable to static
text only (ie. paper form research papers, reports etc.) the ultimate goal
would be to allow a researcher to represent their conceptual space in a computer
assisted environment, and then to generate a skeleton paper, or paper outline,
by selecting the subset of the conceptual space that represents the knowledge
they wish to impart via the paper representation. We are assuming no technical
restrictions now, and probably are living in the 21st century. For static
journals with a short cycle time, ie forums of this sort, the author could
decide to publish the text, underlying data, and/or the conceptual space
representations. The combinations of all three facilitates hyppothesis testing
by other 'experts' of the authors conceptual space and opens up for scrutiny
the grasp the author has of the domain, the processing applied to form
conclusions, etc.

The combined contributions of an author over time would form an extremly
valuable asset, namely an animated representation of the growth of the
conceptual space. This might be viewed in a similar vein to an artist's
retrospective exhibition, where the analogous conceptual representation is
displayed. An example of the usefulness of this approach would be to see an
retrospective of cubism, showing the development of cubism from its infant stage
to the complex forms of say the latter Picaso works. This would have a side
benefit of being an extremely worthwhile educational resource.

bob jansen

------------------------------

From: David Stodolsky <david%harald.ruc.dk@pucc>
Subject: Archives and organization: Response to W.P. Gardner

DSS> If we take maximum advantage of the capabilities of network technology,
DSS> central organization could be limited to the registration of user names.

WPG> There is another place where central decisions could be made: the
WPG> development of international standards for scientific documents and
WPG> related services.

The registration of user names is a technically complex enterprise, if the
process is to uphold the requirements of protection and responsibility that
scientific communication is to ideally satisfy. It may also mean coming into
conflict with "national security interests" in certain states that presume to
restrain the free exchange of information and cryptographic methods.
Standardization of these features is crucial if the relations among scientists
are to be regulated appropriately. Standards for graphics and data interchange
are important, but is this a function for a society per se? A scientific society
should have input to such standard setting, but I hardly see this as a central
function. As things stand right now, the social incentives for data exchange are
such that very little of it occurs (Sterling, T. D. & Weinkam, J. J. [1990].
_Communications of the ACM_, _33_(8), 113-119), and standardization in the
format for such data are not going to change this. Further, their are real
impediments; the Group on Economic Issues of the International Council for
Scientific and Technical Information states, "We have found in the United States
that intellectual property rights constitute an expensive and perplexing barrier
to sharing of scientific and technical information collections (Group on
Economic Issues. [1990, January]. _ICSTI Forum_, _1_[1], 3)."

DSS> Counteracting commercial interests requires a massive, but
DSS> decentralized investment. Democratization of scientific communication
DSS> is a solution to the domination of science by outside interests and
DSS> could lead to the achievement of real scientific freedom.

WPG> I agree with the spirit, but what, in practice, do you mean by
WPG> democratization?  I think we need to give careful thought to the issue
WPG> of decentralization & commercialization.  They may well go
WPG> hand-in-hand.  Can you propose a decentralized structure that is not a
WPG> market and nevertheless works efficiently to store and distribute
WPG> documents?

Democratization means each person has fundamental communication rights
(Stodolsky, D. [1985]. Information systems for self-management. _Human Systems_
Management_, _5_, 39-45; Stodolsky, D. [1985]. The complete self-management
information system [Letter]. _Human Systems Management_, _5_, 261-262.) that
include, especially for a scientist, the right to publish. Further, decisions
with regard to the structure of the communication system are defined one-man
one-vote, not by commercial considerations (one-dollar one-vote). Gift exchange
seems to be a more appropriate model for scientific communication than a market
(Hagstrom, W. [1965]. _The Scientific Community_. New York: Basic Books).

David S. Stodolsky                  Office: + 45 46 75 77 11 x 21 38
Department of Computer Science                Home: + 45 31 55 53 50
Bldg. 20.2, Roskilde University Center        Internet: david@ruc.dk
Post Box 260, DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark        Fax: + 45 46 75 74 01

------------------------------

From: David Stodolsky <david%harald.ruc.dk@pucc>
Subject: Consensus Journals

Consensus Journals:
Invitational journals based upon peer consensus

David  S. Stodolsky

Roskilde University Centre
DK-4000 Roskilde
david@ruc.dk

Abstract

Computer networks open new possibilities for scientific communication in terms
of quality, efficiency, and rapidity. Consensus journals have the economy of
invitational journals and the objectivity of journals based upon the peer
review. That is, all articles are published and the reader benefits from
article selection based upon impartial refereeing. An additional benefit of
consensus journals is that the negotiation process, that typically occurs
prior to publication, is automated, thus saving efforts of participants.

Readers submit reviews that evaluate articles on agreed dimensions. A
statistical procedure is used to identify the most knowledgeable representative
of each consensus position and these persons are invited to submit articles
that justify the review judgments they have submitted. A major advantage of
this approach is the ability to develop reputation without article publication.

The approach includes a protection mechanism based upon pseudonyms, that
substitutes for the protection of anonymity typical with scientific journals.
This reduces the potential for irresponsible behavior and facilitates
reputation development. The level of quality enhancement is superior to
that achievable with anonymous peer review.

Eliminating the editor and the delay associated with conventional refereeing
makes message quality enhancement available in message systems for educational
and business environments.

This document has been prepared for electronic publication. Underscore
characters indicate the start and end of italicized character sequences.
Figures and tables assume a monospace font. Citation: Stodolsky, D. S. (1990).
Consensus Journals: Invitational journals based upon peer consensus.
_Datalogiske Skrifter_ (Writings on Computer Science). No. 29 / 1990.
Roskilde University Centre, Institute of Geography, Socioeconomic Analysis,
and Computer Science. (ISSN 0109-9779-29)

Invitational journals can be distinguished from typical scholarly journals by
the sequence of events that results in publication of an article. The sequence
of events with a typical journal starts with the writing of an article. The
article is then transmitted to an editor and refereed. After a successful
review, often contingent upon negotiated revisions, the article is published
and read. With invitational journals, however, events are reversed.
The tentative decision to publish an author is made first,
often based upon the reading of previous work by that author. Then negotiation
between the editor and author occurs, or there is informal refereeing of a
proposal, which if successful, results in the writing of an article. The great
advantage of this second sequence -- read, negotiate, write -- is that almost
every article written gets published. The disadvantage is that selection of
authors is somewhat arbitrary and there is no way an unknown author can get
published. The objective of this article is to outline a method of scientific
communication that has the economy of invitational journals and the objectivity
of journals based upon the peer review. These self-edited journals will be
called _consensus journals_ in order to distinguish them from conventional
invitational journals.

Any reader of an article in a consensus journal can act as a referee. Assume,
for simplicity, that referees send reviews to a mediator. At a deadline, the
mediator performs calculations and issues invitations to the referees who have
been selected as new authors (Figure 1). These calculations are implicit
negotiations, that is, they predict which persons would have been selected to
respond to the reviewed article if referees has actually negotiated and reached
a consensus. One benefit of consensus journals is that the negotiation process
is automated, thus saving participant effort.

 ------  R: Review   -------  M: Invitation   -------
 ------              -------                  -------  R: Article

                                                 | R: Renege
 R = Referee    Calc. = Calculate consensus      |
 M = Mediator                                    V

 -
Figure 1. Simplified cycle of operation for a consensus journal

The simplified cycle of operation for a consensus journal shows actions in boxes
and messages as arrows. In this simplified cycle, referees invited to publish
(and justify the reviews they have submitted) have a choice of submitting their
article by a deadline or reneging on the promise implied by their review. This
simplified cycle of operation assumes, additionally, that consensus positions
can be calculated and that published articles are retained indefinitely.
Eliminating these assumptions requires a more articulated cycle of operation
and additional message types.

Before considering a more articulated cycle of operation, however, it is
necessary to note an important feature of peer review that contributes to
impartial judgment. This feature is a protection mechanism, typically
anonymity, that shields referees from pressures that might be associated with
evaluation of a colleague. Further, names and affiliations of authors are often
hidden from referees to ensure that only article content is the basis for
evaluation. Protection can be alternatively be provided by a pseudonym system.
This has the advantage of reducing opportunities for irresponsible behavior as
compared to systems based upon anonymity (Stodolsky, 1990). It has a further
advantage of permitting reputation development through the refereeing alone,
thereby making it possible to establish a reputation without contributing
articles.

When there are multiple referees, it is important that their judgments are
independent, so referee reports must not be made available until all have been
submitted. This last requirement can be met by ensuring that reviews
transmitted to the mediator are hidden until the deadline. The dynamics and
implementation of protection systems are beyond the scope of this article,
so only the necessity for the simultaneous release of information is addressed
here.

Definition of message types

While in the simplest case, messages in the consensus journal environment
consist of only articles and reviews (Stodolsky, 1990), considerations of
effective negotiation and of storage management suggest defining additional
message types. There are five types of messages transmitted in the consensus
journal environment.

_Article

Articles, while shorter than those usually seen in conventional journals, will
most often play the same role. However, it is quite possible to have an article
in a consensus journal that is only a few lines long, and that can only be
understood in connection with the review message it follows and its target
article.

_ Review

Review messages must be distinguished from conventional reviews because they are
characterized by a vector of numbers that summarize a reader's reaction to an
article. If we think of articles as nodes in a graph or pages in a hypertext
network, then review messages are the labels on arcs or links that connect the
articles. Reviews can go beyond merely evaluating an article, by offering to
provide new information that may be essential to support the target article's
position.  Review messages also serve as a commitment to deliver a
 justificationof the reader's judgment, if invited.

_ Invitation

Invitations are public, and therefore, impossible to refuse without some loss of
reputation. This makes them somewhat different than invitations from an editor
of a journal. In effect, the invitation says, "We offer you storage space for
an article." Also , a person may post an invitation for themselves during the
negotiation stage of review, if they feel confident they can support the
position claimed in their review message.

_ Cancellation

It is possible for an author to cancel an article, thereby releasing the
associated storage space. The article then goes off-line (i.e., "out of print")
along with its reviews and the articles that were dependent upon it for their
place in storage. This would typically occur during explicit negotiation
after the author had seen the article's reviews. It could, however, occur much
later, when a new criticism was delivered.

_Withdrawal

Finally, during explicit negotiations, a review may be withdrawn.
This eliminates the referee from those prepared to respond to an invitation.

Cycle of operation

The sequence of events with a consensus journal is the same as with an
invitational journal. The review method, however, involves the entire
readership, or at least those who offer a judgment. New authors are then
selected based upon the review judgements. While most articles will follow
from reviews and be connected to their target articles, independent articles
are also permitted. However, articles posted without consensus based invitations
are less likely to be read and cannot be assumed to have support of other
referees.

If we assume that a consensus journal is already functioning, we can follow the
events through a cycle of operation that starts with reading of an article.
While it is not essential for smaller readerships, we assume that participants
exchange information electronically.

All readers are presented with a target article at the same time. A reader
offers a review judgment in order to be considered for future authorship. The
review message must be received before a certain deadline, say one week later.
The review message consists of scores along several preselected dimensions.
For instance, a scientific article is expected to be relevant, correct, and
original. A more conversational approach might include the dimensions
completeness, clarity, and appropriateness.

At the deadline, the mediator runs a statistical procedure to determine if there
are consensus positions among the referees. The most central referee from each
of these positions is invited to submit a new article. These most central
referees are also considered most knowledgeable, within the framework of
cultural consensus theory.  D'Andrade (1987) discusses the evidence
supporting this view.

Cultural consensus theory is based on the assumptions of common truth (i. e.,
there is a fixed answer pattern "applicable" to all referees), of local
independence (i.e., the referee-dimension response variables satisfy
conditional independence), and of homogeneity of items (i.e., each respondent
has a fixed "cultural competence" over all dimensions) (Romney, Weller &
Batchelder, 1986). Results can be obtained with as few as three respondents,
but four are required if the significance of the results are to
be calculated (i. e., a degree of freedom is then available in the statistical
model) (Batchelder & Romney, 1988). A recent development in the model is the
ability to identify two consensual groupings within the population of
respondents (Romney, Weller & Batchelder, 1987) This is extremely helpful since
it permits a minority to publicize their viewpoint under the same conditions as
a majority.

Cultural consensus theory assumes that we have no _a priori_ knowledge about
referees, that is, they have no reputations. This is extremely valuable when a
new topic comes up or when there are violation of assumptions required for
calculations concerning a current article based upon previous information
(Stodolsky, 1984b). Given that reputations have developed and assumptions are
satisfied, however, the theory requires elaboration to be applied most
effectively. Cultural consensus theory provides, in effect, a cross sectional
estimation of competence. That is, given a sample of responses at a given
moment, relative competence is estimated. On the other hand, given a
performance history, Bayesian estimation can be used to assess
the relative importance of different persons' judgments. That is, there are
reputations that give information about relative competence independent of the
current responses.
This assumes stationarity, that is, that the same area of competence is
required for correct response, and that responses are generated in the same
manner (e. g., respondents continue to give honest answers). Both methods are
based upon likelihood estimation, therefore, a combined theory should be
achievable. The combined sources of information would likely make achieving
an implicit consensus more frequent.

The mediator issues an invitation report showing submitted judgments, the degree
of consensus achieved, the number of consensus positions identified, degree of
knowledge of each referee, and so on. If consensus has been reached, invited
referees are expected to submit articles.

Negotiation must proceed explicitly if no consensus can be identified (Figure
2). In that case, referees may look at the judgments submitted and decide if
their positions have sufficient support. If not, they could reconsider their
review judgments, and either revise them or withdraw from the review process.
The author of an article might, on the basis of these judgments, cancel an
article, thus avoiding potential reputation damaging criticism.

 ------  R: Review   -------  M: Invitation   -------
| Read |----------->| Calc. |--------------->| Write |----------->
 ------              -------                  -------  R: Article
                      ~ |                        |
           R: Review  | | M: No consensus        | R: Renege
                      | |                        |
                  -----------  R: Withdrawal
                  -----------

                       | A: Cancelation

Key

A = Author
M = Mediator          Calc.  = Calculate consensus
R = Referee
 -

Figure 2. Cycle of operation for a consensus journal

(A referee becomes an author only after a submitted article has been published
by the mediator [not shown in figure]).

Assuming that the article was not cancelled, the combined effects of withdrawal
by referees with most deviant judgments and reconsideration by others would
likely lead to consensus, particularly if the requirements for consensus were
successively relaxed.

This assumes that revision of judgments would be in the direction of dominant
view points, a common finding. The result would be an invitation issued by the
mediator to selected referees. Subsequent submission of an articles by selected
referees and their publication by the mediator would complete the cycle of
operation.

The invitation report can guide negotiation when a consensus can not be
identified. Individual invitation staging could proceed along with a relaxation
of requirements for consensus. For instance, if the first round of reviews did
not generate a consensus, referees could issue invitations to others (Table 1).
If the second round of reviews did not generate a consensus, referees could
issue self invitations (these would be acceptances for those who had received
invitations), or perhaps, direct the invitations they had already received to
others. Failure on the third round would permit these previously issued
invitations to serve as a coordination mechanism. That is, certain referees
would have indicated a readiness to respond and others would have rejected
the option of authorship unsupported by a consensus. Thus, duplication of
effort could be avoided by examining the ranking of persons in terms of the
invitations received and accepted, and responding accordingly.

                          Message Level and (Receiver):

                           Public     Private
                          (Readers)  (Mediator)

Stage of Process:

Publication                Article

Refereeing                            Review(1)

Invitation                 Report

Reconsideration                       Review(2), Withdraw, Cancel, Invite

Invitation                 Report

Reconsideration                       Review(3), Withdraw, Cancel, Self
 invitation

Invitation                 Report

Submit                                Article

Table 1. Message level, receiver, and type, by stage of processing
         (assumes no consensus reached during negotiation)

New articles are requested either by the mediator or by referees, if an author
and referees follow negotiations to completion. New articles must be submitted
before a deadline. At the deadline, the new articles received are published.
This makes them available to the readership and completes the cycle of
operation for a consensus journal.

Thus in the simplest case, articles are read, reviews are transmitted,
invitations are issued, and new articles are submitted in a timely manner. In
the extended cycle, at least a single reconsideration or negotiation stage
occurs during which a target article can be cancelled by its author and during
which referees can withdraw. A failure to achieve consensus leads to explicit
negotiation and options such as nonconsensus invitation. The extended
negotiation option makes the consensus journal more similar
to a conventional journal, because there is explicit negotiation prior to the
writing of an article.

The quality of a consensus journal can be assessed by the degree of consensus
achieved. Readers might select only those articles resulting from a
consensus-based invitation, thereby controlling the quality of articles they
see.

Rules of dialogue

The rules of operation of a consensus journal can be thought of as specifying an
action system, or language game, where the actions relate to the placement of
articles in a network of interconnected nodes. Participants in the game try to
maximize their influence. Reputation is a crucial resource in scientific
argumentation (Smolensky, Fox, King, Lewis, 1988). Participants are expected
to maximize this resource. While there may be other payoffs available within a
given system, such as royalty payments, this discussion assumes only reputation
maximization as an individual objective.

here are several opportunities for reputation enhancement in the cycle of
operation. Selection as an author is a major opportunity for reputation
enhancement. However, refereeing also offers significant opportunities that are
not available with conventional journals. Referees can commit themselves to
delivering a rebuttal to an article and thereby improve their reputation
(assuming they make good on their commitment given an opportunity). If an
author examines the reviews an article receives and decides to cancel it before
a rebuttal is written, the referees offering rebuttals would
have their reputations enhanced, without any further risk or effort.

With a consensus journal, the review message can be thought of as an offer to
deliver a certain type of article before the deadline. Obviously, a review
message that claims a target article is erroneous, and thereby offers to
deliver a rebuttal, plays a different structural role in a debate than one
that criticizes an article for not being original. Thus, reviews can have a
great deal of structural impact and can express a level of commitment, which
would not be relevant in an environment that limits referees to a gatekeeping
role.

Structural Aspects

With electronically published documents, it is very desirable to structure
interconnections so that retrieval is facilitated and the relevance of
statements becomes clear (Smolensky, Fox, King, Lewis, 1988). Thus, review
messages can deal not only with the quality of an article, but also its
relationship to its target article.
Explicit relationships among articles becomes more necessary as the size of
articles decrease and number of articles increases.

With conventional journals, reviews are used to determine whether or not an
article should be published. The publication decision is not dominant with
electronic media, however, since distribution constraints are greatly relaxed
(Quarterman, 1990, p. 259; Stodolsky, in press). Because of this, the period
during which an article remains on-line assumes importance, because storage is
limited. It is in this connection that the reviews of articles and the
relations between articles becomes critical. In the simplest case, an article
that is found incorrect by an overwhelming consensus is
cancelled by its author. Failure to cancel an the article results in a
continuing devaluation of the author's reputation as more and more readers come
to agree with the majority. In the case of conflicting consensus positions, a
rebuttal claiming that a target article is flawed is explicitly linked to the
target. Failure to rebut that claim in turn has much the same effect as an
overwhelming consensus that the target article is incorrect. Most interactions,
therefore, take place at the knowledge frontier, as various positions are
argued. These interactions generate very "bushy" argument trees, that require
sophisticated navigation strategies, if large amounts of effort are not
to be expended unnecessarily (Stodolsky, 1984a). The trees are thinned in the
process of argumentation. Positions that are sustained remain on-line until
they are thoroughly integrated into summaries or overarching theories.

Decentralization

A central mediator has been assumed in this description to simplify explanation.
There is no reason why the calculations necessary to select new authors could
not be performed decentrally. In fact, this would be necessary if readers
preferred different methods of calculation for author selection. Then
coordination in the selection of new authors would be shifted from consensus
calculation to collection of invitations. Various types of voting rules could
be applied. Authors receiving the most invitations would then be expected to
submit articles. Thus, decentralization leads to an integration of the two
types of invitations (consensus and individual) already discussed.

The task of protecting review judgments until the deadline is reached is another
required function. It is necessary, for example, because analysis of earlier
submitted judgments could permit a referee submitting at the last moment to
simulate a competence that did not exist, thus violating assumptions of the
model. Protection can, however, be achieved decentrally using cryptography,
assuming a "beacon" that emits enciphering and deciphering keys at fixed
intervals (Rabin, 1983). Use of cryptography would be necessary, in any case,
to ensure the authenticity of messages.

Summary

A consensus journal requires mechanisms for both coordination and protection. In
the simplest case, a mediator can provide these. This assumes protected
channels of communication and a trusted mediator. Coordination is necessary to
identify consensus positions and avoid duplication of effort. Protection of
reviews is necessary to ensure that assumptions of models for evaluating
expertise are not violated.  This protection allows valid reputation
development by both authors and referees. Such reputations can then be used to
ensure effective allocation of expertise. The extension of
review opportunities to the entire readership vastly extends the available
field of expertise. This, combined with the effective allocation of expertise
and coordination that eliminates duplication of effort, provide consensus
journals with a significant advantage over current mechanisms for enhancement
of message quality.

References

Batchelder, W. H. & Romney, A. K. (1988). Test theory without an answer key.
 _Psychometrika_, _53_(1), 71-92.

D'Andrade, R. G. (1987). Modal response and cultural expertise. _American
 Behavioral Scientist_, _31_(2), 194-202.

Quarterman, J. S. (1990). _The matrix: Computer networks and conferencing
 systems worldwide_. Bedford, MA: Digital Press.

Rabin, M. (1983). Transaction protection by beacons. _Journal of Computer and
 Systems Science_, _27_(2), 256-267.

Romney, A. K. , Weller, S. C., & Batchelder, W. H. (1986). Culture as consensus:
 A theory of culture and informant accuracy. _American Anthropologist_, _88_(2),
 313-338.

Romney, A. K. , Weller, S. C., & Batchelder, W. H. (1987). Recent applications
 of cultural consensus Theory. _American Behavioral Scientist_, _31_(2),
 163-177.

Smolensky, P., Fox, B., King, R., & Lewis, C. (1988). Computer-aided reasoned
 discourse or, how to argue with a computer. In R. Guindon (Ed.), _Cognitive
 science and its applications for human-computer interaction_. Hillsdale, NJ:
 Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Stodolsky, D. (1984a). Commonalities amoung [sic] conferencing systems and their
 implication for marketing strategy. _Organisatoriske Fragmenter 1984_, _12_,
 43-58.

Stodolsky, D. (1984b, December). _Self-management of criticism in dialog:
 Dynamic regulation through automatic mediation_. Paper presented at the
 symposium Communicating and Contracts between people in the Computerized
 Society, Gothenburg University, Sweden.

Stodolsky, D. S. (1990). Protecting expression in teleconferencing:
 Pseudonym-based peer review journals. _Canadian Journal of Educational
 Communication_, 19, 41-51. ([1989, May 9]. _Communication Research and Theory
 Network [CRTNET]_, No. 175 [Semi-final
 draft available by electronic mail from LISTSERV@PSUVM.BITNET at University
 Park, PA: The Pennsylvania State University, Department of Speech Communication
 and COMSERVE@Vm.ecs.rpi.edu at Troy, NY: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
 Department of Language,

 Literature, and Communication])

Stodolsky, D. S. (in press). Archiving secure interactions [Letter].
 _Psychological Science_. ([1990, May 25]. Comments on Gardner's Electronic
 Archive by Stodolsky. _Psycoloquy_, _1_[8].)

David S. Stodolsky                  Office: + 45 46 75 77 11 x 21 38
Department of Computer Science                Home: + 45 31 55 53 50
Bldg. 20.2, Roskilde University Center        Internet: david@ruc.dk
Post Box 260, DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark        Fax: + 45 46 75 74 01

                     the Science Directorate of
                the American Psychological Association
                           (202) 955-7653

                              Co-Editors:

(scientific discussion)         (professional/clinical discussion)

    Stevan Harnad          Perry London, Dean,     Cary Cherniss (Assoc Ed.)
Psychology Department  Graduate School of Applied   Graduate School of Applied
Princeton University   and Professional Psychology  and Professional Psychology
                            Rutgers University           Rutgers University

                           Assistant Editors:

     Malcolm Bauer                               John Pizutelli
  Psychology Department                      Psychology Department
  Princeton University                         Rutgers University
End of PSYCOLOQUY Digest
******************************

harnad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Stevan Harnad) (11/21/90)

PSYCOLOQUY                  Tue, 20 Nov 90       Volume 1 : Issue  15
      Computer Surveys
      Reference Manager for LAN
      Request for Data

From: rosenfel%nprdc.navy.mil@pucc (Paul Rosenfeld)
Subject: Computer Surveys

Our research group at the Navy Personnel R&D Center in San Diego has been
looking at response differences between computer and pencil&paper surveys.
The literature seems quite inconsistent-- sometimes more "honest" responding
on computer, sometimes no differences, sometimes more impression management
on computer (recent JAP article).

The obvious-- computer creates anonymity which leads to more "honest"
responding-- doesn't seem so obvious anymore.  As there are many
cognitive oriented psychologists who contribute to this group, I was
wondering what other reasons there might be for response differences
between computer and P&P.  Please speculate, hypothesize or just plain
guess.  Thanks

Paul Rosenfeld, Ph.D.
Personnel Research Psychologist

------------------------------

From: Joe Danks <@ksuvxa.kent.edu:JDANKS%KENTVM.BITNET@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Reference Manager for LAN

Reference Manager for a LAN: A request for information

We have been investigating the possibility of including a reference
manager on the department's LAN.  However, commercial software vendors
have typically responded that they do not have a network version nor
do they intend to develop one in the near future.  Have we missed a
potential vendor?  Have other departments developed their own solutions
for data base management of references?  Any information that can be
provided would be greatly appreciated.  Please reply to JDANKS@KENTVM.
BITNET.  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: hui%psych.toronto.edu@pucc
Subject: Request for Data

        My colleague and I are doing some simulation studies on the
        effects of response sets on factor analytic results.  To extend
        the generality of our findings, we would like to use some
        existing data that have been collected recently.  If you have a
        data set that meets the following requirements, and are willing
        to share the information with us, please email me at
        hui@psych.toronto.edu.  Your contribution will, of course, be
        duly acknowledged.

        - used a reasonably well-known personality instrument that has
        been demonstrated to be multidimensional;
        - your analysis of the data set also confirmed the existence of
        the various factors;
        - most respondents did not miss any items; and
        - the number of respondents is at least 10 times of that of items
        in the instrument.

End of PSYCOLOQUY Digest
******************************

harnad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Stevan Harnad) (11/21/90)

PSYCOLOQUY                  Tue, 20 Nov 90       Volume 1 : Issue  15
      Assistant Professor, Univ. of Pennsylvania
      CNS Program at Boston University Hiring 2 Assistant Professors
      Correction
      CVNet- Two vision jobs
      graduate fellowships in cognitive science
      Tenure Track, Univ. of Nevada
      Assistant Professor, Yale University

From: sparks@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (David Sparks)
Subject: Assistant Professor, Univ. of Pennsylvania

UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA.  The Department of Psychology intends
to make an appointment at the assistant professor level in one of
the following areas: neuroethology, animal behavior, animal
learning, or biopsychology of motivation or learning.  Individuals
whose research combines more than one of these areas would be
especially attractive.  We seek candidates with demonstrated
excellence in research and teaching.  They should submit a vita,
reprints and preprints, and a statement of research interests and
teaching competence; they should also arrrange for 3 letters of
recommendation to be sent.  All materials should be sent by
December 3, 1990 to Search Committee A, Department of Psychology,
University of Pennsylvania, 3815 Walnut St., Philadelphia, PA
l9l04-6196.  The University of Pennsylvania is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.

------------------------------

From: mike@park.bu.edu
Subject: CNS Program at Boston University Hiring 2 Assistant Professors

Boston University seeks two tenure track assistant or associate
professors starting in Fall, 1991 for its M.A. and Ph.D. Program
in Cognitive and Neural Systems.  This program offers an
intergrated curriculum offering the full range of psychological,
neurobiological, and computational concepts, models, and methods
in the broad field variously called neural networks,
connectionism, parallel distributed processing, and biological
information processing, in which Boston University is a leader.
Candidates should have extensive analytic or computational
research experience in modelling a broad range of nonlinear
neural networks, especially in one or more of the areas: vision
and image processing, speech and language processing, adaptive
pattern recognition, cognitive information processing, and
adaptive sensory-motor control  Candidates for associate
professor should have an international reputation in neural
network modelling.  Send a complete curriculum vitae and three
letters of recommendation to Search Committee, Cognitive and
Neural Systems Program, Room 240, 111 Cummington Street, Boston
University, Boston, MA 02215, preferably by November 15, 1990 but
no later than January 1, 1991.  Boston University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Boston University (617-353-7857) Email: mike@bucasb.bu.edu
Smail: Michael Cohen                     111 Cummington Street, RM 242
       Center for Adaptive Systems        Boston, Mass 02215
       Boston University

------------------------------

From: D N ROBINSON <GU31%GUVM@pucc>
Subject: Correction

The assistant professorship available in the Department of Psychology,
Georgetown University, becomes available as of Fall 1991, not Fall 1992.

------------------------------

From: Color and Vision Network <CVNET%YORKVM1@pucc>
Subject: CVNet- Two vision jobs

Cognitive Science/HCI Initiative 2 POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS

  Department of Psychology University of St Andrews and
  Centre for Cognitive and Computational Neuroscience University of Stirling
                              Scotland, UK

This is a collaborative project between the Department of Psychology,
St Andrews and the CCCN, Stirling to develop a new computational model of
visual word recognition.

Post 1 (3 years, based at Department of Psychology,
St Andrews University) will involve developing fresh perspectives on the
neural modelling of visual word recognition from human experimentation.
The data from these experiments will form the basis for the
computational modelling in the project.   Applicants should have
experience in human experimentation in cognitive science or perceptual
research, be well acquainted with the use of computers in
experimentation, and have some knowledge of neural network research.

Post 2 (2 years, based at Centre for Cognitive and
Computational Neuroscience, Stirling University) will involve setting up
and developing a new computational model of visual word recognition
which combines the findings from St Andrews with fresh perspectives on
neurocomputational processing.   Applicants should have experience or
interest in neural computation/connectionism and have a background in
one or more of the following:  computing science, psychology,
mathematics, physics.

Starting salary for each post will be on the 1A scale for research staff
(up to UK pounds 18165 pa).   Both posts are scheduled to start as soon as
possible in 1991.   Application forms and further particulars for both
posts can be obtained from The Director of Personnel Services, College
Gate, St Andrews University, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AJ,,UK to whom
completed applications forms together with a CV should be submitted to
arrive no later than November 30th 1990.
Further information can be obtained informally from:
(Post 1)  Dr Tim Jordan at St Andrews (tel.(44) 0334 76161, ext 7234)
psstj@uk.ac.st-andrews
(Post 2)  Dr Leslie Smith at Stirling (tel. (44) 0786 67435, direct line)
lss@uk.ac.stir.cs
Previous applicants for these posts need not re-apply.

------------------------------

From: "KRUSCHKE,JOHN,PSY" <kruschke%ucs.indiana.edu@pucc>
Subject: graduate fellowships in cognitive science

  GRADUATE FELLOWSHIPS AND ASSISTANTSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE FROM THE
          INDIANA UNIVERSITY COGNITIVE SCIENCE PROGRAM

This program offers joint PhDs (and minors associated with PhDs) in combination
with a PhD from a home department (such as psychology, computer science,
philosophy, linguistics, or any other PhD granting unit). Students must be
admitted to, and be members of, some home department. The Cognitive Science
Program at Indiana University has a core faculty of 45 professors, supports
research activities in numerous areas, publishes a research report series,
sponsors a colloquium series, and offers fellowships and assistantships to
qualified applicants. A brochure describing the program and admission
procedures is available from, and inquiries and requests for information may be
directed to,
              Richard M. Shiffrin, Director
              Cognitive Science Program
              Psychology Department
              Indiana University
              Bloomington, IN  47405        E-mail: IUCOGSCI@UCS.INDIANA.EDU

(Please don't use your e-mail "reply" command, but instead direct inquiries
directly to the addresses above.)

------------------------------

From: gpg@unssun.nevada.edu (G. P. Ginsburg)
Subject: Tenure Track, Univ. of Nevada

10/19/90

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT:  Univ. of Nevada, Reno, Psychology Department has
an anticipated tenure track opening in non-surgical PERCEPTION.  We are
particularly interested in applicants with long range research plans and
good grant potential, who also will be stimulating teachers at the
doctoral and undergraduate levels.  The Psychology Department offers the PhD in
 3 areas--general experimental, clinical, and social--and provides additional
specialization in animal behavior and in behavior analysis.  Salaries are
competitive, lab start-up funds are available, teaching load is moderate
(typically 1 graduate seminar and 1 undergrad course per semester, possibly
less in first year), the Department is small (15) and congenial, and has been
offering the PhD for 25 years.  UNR is the land grant university of the
State, has 11,000 students, is actively investing in expansion of its
doctoral training and research functions, and encourages interdisciplinary
initiatives.  The University is located in Reno, at an altitude of
4,800 ft, surrounded by mountains, with ample opportunities for
outside activities (skiing is 45 min. away, a trout stream runs
through town, hiking and camping are readily available in mountains
or high desert), and San Francisco is a 4-hr drive by freeway or a
45 min. flight.  Interested parties should send application materials
to Dr W P Wallace, Chair, Search Committee, Dept of Psychology, Univ
of Nevada, Reno, NV 89557; application materials should include a
statement of research plans and teaching interests, CV, reprints,
and names of 4 references (with addresses and telephone numbers).  I'm
also happy to answer questions by email.
			G P Ginsburg, Chair

------------------------------

From: michael tarr <tarr-michael@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject: Assistant Professor, Yale University

Assistant Professor, Cognitive Psychology: The Department of Psychology
at Yale University expects to make an appointment at the rank of
Assistant Professor in the area of cognitive psychology effective July
1, 1991.  Outstanding candidates in any subspeciality of this area are
encouraged to apply.  All applicants are expected to provide high-
quality teaching at the undergraduate level and in a graduate cognitive
psychology program, and to have exhibited (or shown very clear promise
of) excellence in research.  Applicants should send a letter of
application, a resume, and papers or reprints, and should arrange for
three letters of recommendation to be sent to: Chair, Cognitive
Psychology Search Committee, Department of Psychology, Yale University,
Box 11A Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520-7447.  Deadline for completed
applications: February 1, 1991.  Yale is an Equal Opportunity/
Affirmative Action employer, and applications from women and minority
group members are especially encouraged.

Michael Tarr
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
Yale University

End of PSYCOLOQUY Digest
******************************

harnad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Stevan Harnad) (11/21/90)

PSYCOLOQUY                  Tue, 20 Nov 90       Volume 1 : Issue  15
      Psycoloquy Call For Submissions: abstracts, summaries, squibs

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad>
Subject: Psyoloquy Call For Submissions

Psycoloquy invites researchers in psychology, cognitive science,
neuroscience and related disciplines to submit material on which you
wish to elicit international and interdisciplinary discussion from the
psychological community. A submission can be the abstract or summary of
a recent or forthcoming article, or a synopsis of current findings or
ideas on which you wish to solicit peer feedback. The submissions
should be self-contained, but not too lengthy. All contributions
will be refereed by members of Psycoloquy's Editorial Board for the
submission's content area.

This fall of Psycoloquy's first full year under APA sponsorship is a
particularly good time to begin exploring the potential of this
powerful new medium of scholarly interaction in advancing scientific
research in our field. Other disciplines will be watching this
experiment, so let's provide them with a strong first model of
the capabilities of the net.

Stevan Harnad
Perry London
Co-Editors

End of PSYCOLOQUY Digest
******************************

harnad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Stevan Harnad) (11/21/90)

PSYCOLOQUY                  Tue, 20 Nov 90       Volume 1 : Issue  15
      Earli Conference
      SSAISB Information
      XXVth International Congress of Psychology

From: "Research Center for Infor.Tech.and Educ."
Subject: Earli Conference

CALL FOR PAPERS
FOURTH EUROPEAN CONFERENCE FOR RESEARCH ON LEARNING AND INSTRUCTION
UNIVERSITY OF TURKU

Turku, FINLAND, August 24-28, 1991
(Organized by: EARLI,
 European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction)

The main theme of the conference will  be learning and instruction
which will be related, in particular, to the following topics:

- cultural and social aspects
- learning in natural settings
- interactions of social, motivational, and cognitive factors
- knowledge acquisition, problem solving and metacognition
- developmental processes
- learning disabilities
- teaching process and teacher thinking
- classroom interactions and learning processes
- industrial and professional training
- new media and information technologies
- text comprehension and text production
- domain-specific skilled performance (e.g. sports, music)
- learning and teaching in specific subject areas, including foreign
languages

Programme committee
Dr Erno Lehtinen, Chair (Finland)
Dr Heinz Mandl, Vice-chair (West Germany)
Dr Ren` Amigues (France)
Dr Pietro Boscolo (Italy)
Dr Mario Carretero (Spain)
Dr Maureen Pope (Britain)
Dr Jan Prucha (Czechoslovakia)
Dr Robert Jan Simons (The Netherlands)

Conference Program

The conference will comprese the following forms of presentation:

- Invited addresses
- Symposia
- Paper sessions
- Poster sessions
- Demonstrations

The official language of the conference will be English.

Dates to note:

  Second circular with registration form will be mailed October 1990
  Deadline for proposals incl. abstracts and summaries November 30,
  1990
  Acceptance of proposals February 1991
  Outline of the program will be mailed March 1991

  Registration and lodging
  Registration fee  until             after
                    April 30, 1991    May 1, 1991

  EARLI-members     400 FM            650 FM
  non-members       650 FM            900 FM
  Students          20 % discount of the above fees

Mailing address for further information

4th EARLI Conference
Conference Secretariat
P.O.Box 114
SF-20520 Turku, Finland
Telefax: +358-21-633 5090;
e-mail: LEHTINEN@FINUJO (Bitnet)
        VAURAS@KONTU.UTU.FI
Telephones:
+358-21-633 8598 (Marja Vauras, Secretary General)
+358-73-151 2378 (Erno Lehtinen, Chair)

------------------------------

From: Aaron Sloman <aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk>
Subject: SSAISB Information

I have been asked to post this announcement. Please don't use REPLY: there
is an email address for responses below.

                         ****    SSAISB    ****
        THE SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND
                       THE SIMULATION OF BEHAVIOUR

AISB is  the major  UK  society serving  the  AI and  Cognitive  Science
community. Membership  is  about  1000  drawn  from  both  industry  and
academia. AISB  helps  keep  its  members informed  of  progress  in  AI
research through:

* The AISB Quarterly Newsletter,  which includes feature articles on  AI
and Cognitive Science, reviews, conference reports, announcements,  etc.
Members  also  receive   AICommunications  (the   European  Journal   on
Artificial Intelligence) free of charge.

* Schools and Tutorials for newcomers to AI

* Organising and sponsoring workshops on issues relevant to AI  research
and development.

* A bi-annual Conference. AISB91 to  be held at the University of  Leeds
16th-19th April 1991.

* AISB produces an Email directory including addresses from the European
AI Community in general. Members will receive this free of charge.

Membership fees (in sterling) are:

                            UK              Europe      Overseas

Regular                     17.00           20.00       25.00
Student                     10.00           12.00       14.00

For further details and information on how to join contact

        Ms. Judith Dennison,
        Cognitive & Computing Sciences
        University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QH

        Tel: 0273 678379
        Email: judithd@uk.ac.sussex.cogs

------------------------------

From: "G. d'Ydewalle" <gery%BLEKUL11@pucc>
Subject: XXVth International Congress of Psychology

    XXVth International Congress of Psychology
            19-24 July 1992, Brussels
                   Belgium

The scientific program will include the following main activities:
KEYNOTE ADDRESSES AND STATE OF THE ART LECTURES
   Ten of the most eminent contemporary psychologists will be
   invited to deliver a keynote address on a subject of their
   choice.
   Twenty experts have been asked to prepare a tutorial describing
   the state of the art in their field of excellence, in a way
   accessible to non-specialists.
SYMPOSIA
   Twelve symposia in parallel each morning and each afternoon.
   Each symposium will last three hours: two hours presentation
   and one hour discussion. Each involves one (or two) conveners,
   one chairman and four to six speakers. Themes will cover most
   fields of psychological science.
SUBMITTED CONTRIBUTIONS
   Individual submissions for two forms of presentation will be
   invited:
      Thematic sessions: oral presentation, 20 min. (15 presentation
      and 5 discussion); presentations will be grouped according to
      theme.
      Interactive sessions: poster presentation; discussion of posters
      with common theme will be coordinated by eminent specialists.
   Thematic sessions and poster presentations in parallel with symposia,
   discussion part of interactive sessions at end of morning and
   afternoon sessions. Interactive sessions to be considered as equal
   in status to thematic sessions.

Time schedule of the several calls:
   APRIL 1991 - distribution of final call, including registration form
   and invitation for individual submissions
   JUNE 1991 - first deadline for individual submissions; for abstracts
   submitted before that deadline, decisions will be announced in
   November 1991
   NOVEMBER 1991 - final deadline for individual submissions, with
   decisions announced in February 1992
   FEBRUARY 1992 - deadline of early bird registrations

All correspondences on the Congress: Brussels International Conference Centre,
Parc des Expositions, Place de Belgique, B-1020 Brussels, Belgium
Phone: 32-2-478.48.60
Fax: 32-2-478.80.23
E-mail: gery@blekul11.bitnet
Telex: 23.643 foireb

Gery d`Ydewalle
University of Leuven
Department of Psychology

End of PSYCOLOQUY Digest
******************************

harnad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Stevan Harnad) (11/21/90)

PSYCOLOQUY                  Tue, 20 Nov 90       Volume 1 : Issue  15
      APA Division 28 (Psychopharmacology) Newsletter

Date:     Tue, 20 Nov 90 10:24 EST
Original_From:  MVAX::WOOD(Ron Wood)
From: General Delivery <POSTMASTER@NYUMED.BITNET>
Subject:  Please announce discussion group DIV28@gwuvm

  Behavioral and psychopharmacologists now can subscribe to a an electronic
discussion group/ bulletin board.  This is effort by the Division of
Psychopharmacology and Substance Abuse and by the Science Directorate of
the American Psychological Association to provide an easy means of rapid
communication within the division and among behavioral and
psychopharmacologists.

        You may enroll by sending a note via bitnet to
LISTSERV@GWUVM that says: sub div28 firstname lastname.

If you are an internetter or need further help,
ask Cheri Fullerton of the science directorate for help: apasdcf@gwuvm.

        Ron Wood is maintaining a directory of email, phone and fax numbers
for the division. He will add new listings to the directory, and
forward a request to subscribe to the listserver, if members send their
information to him at wood@nyumed or wood@mvax.med.nyu.edu.  Please note
that the list and directory is open (not limited to APA members).
| Ronald Wood, Env Med, NYU Med Ctr, Longmeadow Road, Tuxedo, NY 10987  |
| Phone: (914) 351-4249 or (212) 340-7300 x5264     FAX: (914) 351-4825 |
| E-Mail: Wood@NYUMED (Bitnet),  Wood@MVAX.MED.NYU.EDU (Internet)       |

From: Charlotte_Olson@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Div. 28 Newsletter

        This is the text of the APA Div. 28 Newsletter, Fall 1990
        Volume 23, #3

        PRESIDENT'S LETTER

        Klaus Miczek
        President, Division 28

             Psychopharmacologists  live a paradoxical life.  Like  other
        scientists  who  study  perplexing phenomena,  they  are  readily
        intrigued by novel methodologies, technological advances and bold
        ideas,  but  as soon as an unorthodox  explanation  is  advanced,
        skepticism prevails.  Psychopharmacologists eagerly seek opportu-
        nities that may yield new insights; we admire innovative concepts
        and  methods.  And yet, any serious researcher sports  a  healthy
        dose  of  criticism  towards his own and  his  colleagues'  work.
        Momentary  titillation  with some far-flung way of  defining  the
        drug  action  on behavior and on brain often yields to  a  disci-
        plined  approach providing solid information through  well-estab-
        lished methods.

             The   lay   public   views   scientists   alternatingly   as
        reckless--and  sometimes ruthless--adventurers without  limit  or
        respect  for the sacrosanct, and then again as  saviors  shedding
        light into the frightful darkness of the unknown.  Admiration for
        the  detailed  understanding of complicated actions of  drugs  on
        behavior alternates with confusion when too much detail is given.
        Scientists  are expected to be experts with a great deal  of  in-
        depth  information  and thought of highly when they  focus  on  a
        specific  set  of problems; and yet, there is the  image  of  the
        renaissance-scientist who excels in many areas, who intelligently
        approaches a broad range of issues and problems.  Most scientists
        fight  a life-long battle between being a  disciplined,  narrowly
        focused specialist without becoming oblivious to the rest of  the
        real world, and being a broadly educated intellectual with inter-
        ests  and  knowledge in many fields of human  enterprise  without
        becoming a dilettante.

             To this picture of contradictions and paradoxes, psychophar-
        macologists add new dimensions that are unique to
        them.  They combine concepts and methods from psychology, biology
        and pharmacology, but too often none of these parent  disciplines
        view  a  psychopharmacologist as a  fully  legitimate  offspring.
        Here is the world of clinical problems and the various  treatment
        options,  and  there is the world of molecular analysis  of  drug
        receptors.   It is a common pitfall to solve  complex  behavioral
        problems by reducing them to a molecular problem, only to discov-
        er that psychopharmacology usually deals with dynamic multideter-
        minant interacting systems.

             The  essential psychopharmacological paradox is, of  course,
        the drug-behavior interaction itself.  Whenever an exciting, new,
        therapeutically-promising  substance  arrives,  its   undesirable
        side-effects,  abuse  liability  or risk  for  neurotoxicity  are
        uncovered  without  much  delay.  The recent  episode  with  MDMA
        illustrates  this  point.  While  much  of  psychopharmacological
        research attempts to develop and improve much-needed  therapeutic
        agents  and delineate the benefits of drugs, equally  strong  ef-
        forts  are expended to deal with the horrifying and ruinous  side
        of drugs, the diabolic cycle of violence and futility surrounding
        addictive substances.  The September riots in the USSR after  the
        supply of cigarettes ran out demonstrate the personal and  social
        trauma  of  withdrawal  from such a "non-drug"  as  tobacco.   Of
        course, my paradoxical comments are flavored by living during the
        last decade near the "hub of the solar system", where people come
        to  expect  only the best but are most stingy when  it  comes  to
        providing the adequate resources.  Which reminds me of the Epicu-
        rean  paradox:  "Give us the luxuries of life, and we  will  dis-
        pense with its necessaries."

        CUNNINGHAM, HOWELL RECEIVE YOUNG PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGIST AWARD, 1990

        Larry D. Byrd
        Committee on Nominations

             The Young Psychopharmacologist Award for 1990 was shared  by
        Dr.  Kathryn  A. Cunningham of the University of  Texas  and  Dr.
        Leonard  L. Howell of Emory University.  The award, sponsored  by
        the Burroughs Wellcome Fund and the Division of Psychopharmacolo-
        gy,  was presented at the annual meeting of the American  Psycho-
        logical Association in Boston.  Each awardee received a check for
        $500.00,  an  engraved plaque, and reimbursement of  expenses  to
        attend the meeting and to deliver an address.

             Dr. Cunningham, an Assistant Professor in the Department  of
        Pharmacology at the University of Texas in
        Galveston, presented an address entitled "Central Seroto
        nin  Function and the Neuropsychopharmacology of  Cocaine."   She
        received  undergraduate training at the University of Houston  in
        psychology, mathematics and philosophy, and received two years of
        graduate  training in chemistry and biology at the University  of
        Houston.  Her graduate training continued with Dr. James Appel in
        psychology  at  the  University of South Carolina,  and  she  was
        awarded  the  Ph.D. degree in 1985.  During her tenure  with  Dr.
        Appel,  she  conducted experiments on the  mechanisms  of  action
        underlying the discriminative-stimulus properties of cocaine, and
        phencyclidine,  and  initiated  studies with  opiates  and  ergot
        alkaloids that led to her dissertation research.  She studied and
        correlated  the  efficacy  of several  serotonin  antagonists  to
        inhibit  the binding of labeled LSD with the abilities  of  those
        antagonists to block the discriminable effects of the same  doses
        of the drug.  The research combined new analytic techniques  from
        widely  different  but equally  important  disciplines  including
        biochemistry,  pharmacology and psychology, and provided in  vivo
        confirmation of what had been observed in vitro.  Her more recent
        research  at the University of Texas is particularly relevant  to
        cocaine  abuse  and the neuropharmacology of cocaine.   In  these
         studies,  Dr. Cunningham used electrophysiological procedures  to
        analyze the effects of cocaine and related substances on  seroto-
        nergic  systems.  The work demonstrates Dr. Cunningham's  ability
        to learn additional techniques and confirms her continuing inter-
        est in solving persistent scientific problems.

             Dr. Howell, a native of Georgia, received his  undergraduate
        training  in  chemistry  at Emory University  prior  to  entering
        graduate  studies in psychology, biochemistry and  physiology  at
        the  Georgia Institute of Technology.  Dr. Howell's research  for
        his  graduate degrees was conducted with squirrel monkeys at  the
        Yerkes  Research Center of Emory University in the laboratory  of
        Dr.  Larry  Byrd.  The experiments  investigated  the  behavioral
        effects  of drugs and a comparison of the effects of cocaine  and
        non-pharmacological, environmental stimuli on schedule-controlled
        performance.  His Master's thesis earned him recognition and  the
        Sigma Xi Research Award for the year at the Georgia Institute  of
        Technology  in  recognition  of the outstanding  quality  of  his
        research.   Upon completion of the Ph.D. requirement in 1985,  he
        moved to Harvard Medical School where he studied with Dr. William
        Morse for approximately two years.  During his tenure at Harvard,
        he devised and developed a plethysmographic system for  measuring
        respiratory  function  in rhesus monkeys in order  to  study  the
        effects of opioids, methylxanthines and other drugs on respirato-
        ry  parameters.   His  address to the  APA  convention,  entitled
        "Behavioral  and Respiratory Effects of Methylxanthines  in  Mon-
        keys,"  focused primarily on the behavioral and  respiratory  ef-
        fects  of caffeine and related methylxanthines in  this  prepara-
        tion.   His  research has investigated the role of  adenosine  in
        mediating  caffeine's effects and the specific role of  different
        adenosine-receptor  subtypes  in  this  system.   Dr.  Howell  is
        presently an Associate Scientist at the Yerkes Research Center of
        Emory University where his research on the respiratory effects of
        drugs is funded through a First Award of 5 years' duration.

        * * * ACTION ALERT * * *

        CAST ALL YOUR APPORTIONMENT VOTES
        FOR DIVISION 28!

             The American Psychological Association's legislative body is
        the  Council of Representatives.  In order for a division,  state
        association,  or  coalition to have a seat on  Council,  it  must
        receive no less than 0.50% of the total apportionment votes cast.

             In early November, you will receive the annual apportionment
        ballot  from  APA.   This ballot provides each  member  with  ten
        votes,  which can either be allocated totally to one division  or
        distributed  among several divisions.  Individuals who  cast  all
        ten of their votes for a single division can have a large impact;
        as  Figure 1 illustrates, the number of members casting  all  ten
        votes  for Division 28 was very highly correlated with the  total
        votes cast for Division 28.

        (1st graph in printed version placed here)
        Fig. 1.  Correlation of 10-point votes with total votes cast  for
        Division 28, 1983-90.

             The  number of ten-point votes was less  highly  correlated,
        however, with the percent of total apportionment votes cast  (see
        Figure  2).  Together, these results suggest that  representation
        depends substantially on both the number of ten-point votes  cast
        and the number of members in each entity seeking  representation.
        In  the  1990 apportionment balloting, Division 28's  percent  of
        total  APA  votes  was 0.63%--a value  clearly  above  the  0.50%
        threshold; but the 1990 figure dropped from 0.74% in the previous
        year.   Another  decline of this size in the  upcoming  balloting
        would place us dangerously close to losing our Council  Represen-
        tative.  Ergo, please cast all ten of your votes for Division 28,
        and encourage colleagues to vote likewise.

        (2nd graph in printed version placed here)

        Fig. 2.  Correlation of 10-point votes with % of total APA votes,
        1983-90.

        CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION

        Herbert Barry
        Centennial Liaison Officer

             The  Division 28 Centennial Liaison, Herb Barry,  encourages
        members to plan programs and presentations pertaining to the  APA
        centennial  celebration.  This celebration begins with  the  1991
        meeting  in  San Francisco and climaxes at the  1992  meeting  in
        Washington,  DC.   Division  28 will soon  begin  obtaining  oral
        histories  from a few members who have been leading  participants
        in  the  founding of the Division in 1966 and its  history  since
        then.  We plan to prepare printed publications that summarize the
        historical  information obtained from these interviews and  other
        sources.  Their value will be increased by oral or written recol-
        lections of any interesting aspect of Division 28 history by  any
        members.   We encourage all members to make this contribution  to
        the project.

        MINUTES, DIVISION 28 ANNUAL BUSINESS
        MEETING, AUGUST 13, 1990

        Stephen T. Higgins
        Secretary, Division 28

        1.   President  Bob  Balster convened the meeting at  2:05  p.m.,
        with approximately 18 Division members attending.  Minutes of the
        August,  1989  Business  Meeting as published in  the  Fall  1989
        Newsletter were approved.

        2.   President Balster announced the results of the 1990 election
             of Division officers:

             President-elect:  Ron Wood
             Member at Large:  Marilyn Carroll
             Council Representative:  Steve Fowler

        3.   President  Balster noted that the Division is exploring  the
        possibility of a new APA journal in psychopharmacology.  A  Divi-
        sion  Publications  Committee has been established to  look  into
        this  matter and will report to the Division Executive  Committee
        in May, 1991.

        4.   President  Balster  commented on  the  Division's  continued
        involvement  with the APA Central Office, mentioning recent  dis-
        cussions  with  Lew  Lipsitt and colleagues of  the  APA  Science
        Directorate.   It was noted that Dr. Lipsitt and  colleagues  met
        with the Division Executive Committee on 8/9/90.  The  importance
        of  developing  good relations with the new officers in  the  APA
        Central Office was emphasized.

        5.   Alice  Young, for Jack Henningfield, reported that  Division
        28 remains in good financial status with a balance of  $12,614.25
        as of December 31, 1989.  Please forward to Jack Henningfield the
        names of any contact persons in pharmaceutical companies or other
        industries who may support the Division's requests for  corporate
        donations.

        6.   Steve  Fowler reported on matters relating to Division  mem-
        bership:   (1) He noted approval by the APA Membership  Committee
        of the following five new Division 28 Fellows:  Brenna Bry, Linda
        Hernandez,  Mary  Jeanne Kallman, Henry Marcucella,  and  Timothy
        Schallert.  (2) The decision to initiate a $5.00 annual dues  for
        Division  membership  appears  to have  decreased  membership  by
        perhaps 100 members, but that effect appears to be ending.  Steve
        projects an increase of approximately 100 new members in the next
        year.  (3) We now have 28 Newsletter Affiliate members; those who
        are  eligible  to become full members of the Division  should  be
        encouraged  to do so.  (4)  Steve noted that to ensure  that  the
        Division  maintains a representative on the APA Council,  members
        need  to allocate 10-point votes to the Division.   (5)   Members
        are encouraged to nominate new Fellows.  Names should be forward-
        ed to Steve Fowler.

        7.   Larry Byrd reported on Division Nominations.  (1) Kathryn A.
        Cunningham  and Leonard L. Howell shared this year's Division  28
        Young Psychopharmacologist Award.  (2) Larry encouraged  Division
        members to continue nominating deserving Division members for APA
        and Division 28 Awards.  Deadlines for nominations are about  the
        same  as for paper submissions for the APA meeting.  (3) Dr.  Lou
        Harris  has been nominated for Distinguished Affiliate Status  in
        Division  28.  Dr. Harris was nominated by Larry; the  nomination
        was  seconded  by  Steve Fowler and  unanimously  approved.   The
        Division will try to nominate a Distinguished Affiliate annually.
        Nominees should be outstanding scientists from other  disciplines
        or countries.  (4)  The Division nominated C.R. Schuster for  the
        APA Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award, Travis  Thompson
        for  the  APA  Distinguished Teaching of  Psychology  Award,  and
        Warren Bickel for the APA Distinguished Contributions by a  Young
        Psychologist Award.  (4) The Division wants to continue  nominat-
        ing members for APA Boards and Committees.  Please forward  names
        of nominees to Larry.

        8.   President  Bob  Balster proposed a change  in  the  Division
        bylaws in order to change the Division name from the Division  of
        Psychopharmacology to the Division of Psychopharmacology and Sub-
        stance Abuse.  A change in Article 1 of the bylaws permits such a
        name change.  After some discussion of the merits of this propos-
        al,  it  was  approved by a vote of 14 in favor  and  4  against,
        thereby meeting the 2/3rds mandatory number of positive votes.

        9.   President-elect  Klaus Miczek read the list of nominees  for
        Division Officers for the 1991 election.  Lewis Seiden and Maxine
        Stitzer will run for President, and Alice Young and John  Grabow-
        ski for Member-at-Large.  The slate of officers was approved.

        10.  President Balster thanked Warren Bickel for his fine job  as
        Division 28 Program Chair for the 1990 meeting;  Dave Penetar and
        Nancy  Ator  will serve as Program Chairs for the 1991  and  1992
        meetings, respectively.

        11.  President  Bob Balster noted that the Division 28  Committee
        on  Curricula Development for Training Psychologists  in  Psycho-
        pharmacology  is continuing to meet as are the Neurobehavior  and
        Toxicology  Committee and the Centennial Committee.  With  regard
        to the latter committee, H. Barry is in the process of conducting
        an oral history of Division 28 for the Centennial.

        12.  President  Balster  was given a warm round  of  applause  in
        appreciation for his efforts on behalf of Division 28 during  his
        tenure as president.

        The meeting was adjourned at 2:55 p.m.

        APA COUNCIL MEETING:  AUGUST, 1990

        John Grabowski
        Division 28 Representative to Council

             The  APA Council of Representatives met on August 9  and  12
        during the Annual APA Meeting in Boston.  This brief report  will
        summarize the meeting agenda and the preliminary 1991 budget.

             The Council approved a number of items concerning  structure
        and function of new boards and committees, including those relat-
        ed  to the new Education Directorate.  (This rounds out the  com-
        plement  of Directorates).  Items were passed to improve  systems
        for  processing  of students, members, and  fellows.   There  was
        discussion  about increasing member participation  in  Divisions.
        It  was  noted once again that of the more than  70,000  members,
        only  about  40% belong to divisions.   Active  participation  by
        members  of Division 28 can have an effect, and it is  important.
        The benefits of APA's activity generally, and Division membership
        in  particular, are numerous; some of these are reflected in  the
        directives of the Council of Representatives.  These include  the
        strong  lobbying efforts to assure the best environment for  both
        scientists and clinicians.  The APA has been particularly  effec-
        tive in assuring continued and stable funding for research  funds
        for ADAMHA, on one hand, and assuring equity for clinicians (vis-
        a-vis physicians and others), on the other hand.

             The  Council voted unanimously to support opposition to  the
        concept of "English Only" laws, efforts to improve the lot of the
        homeless,  and  provision of care for those with  chronic  mental
        illness.   The Council also voted to support the  development  of
        Behavioral  and Social Sciences Directorate within the  NSF.   In
        February,  1990,  the  APA Council voted  unanimous  support  for
        organizations  that protect science, scientists, and the  conduct
        of  research  with animals; at the August  meeting,  the  Council
        voted  unanimously  to support APA endorsement of the  1990  AAAS
        resolution on the Use of Animals in Research, Testing, and Educa-
        tion.   The  APA  is unquestionably among the  largest  and  most
        formidable organizations lobbying on behalf of continued research
        with animals.

             An issue of particular importance to Division 28 is that  of
        "prescription  privileges"  for  psychologists.   Division   28's
        position  has  been that psychologists  generally,  and  clinical
        psychologists  in  particular,  would do well to  have  at  least
        rudimentary understanding of behavioral  pharmacology/psychophar-
        macology.   This  is true independent of the  specific  issue  of
        prescribing privileges.  In this vein, the Division has supported
        an  effort to develop educational programs.  Your  representative
        stated this position clearly in the Council meeting in support of
        a  Proposal for an APA Task Force on Psychopharmacology.  It  was
        noted in particular that the Task Force should be heavily  loaded
        with  Division 28 members familiar with the issues  and  science.
        This item, which was sponsored by Patrick DeLeon, passed.

             Issues  concerning  fees  and  finances  were  discussed  at
        length.   The  most  distressing item was that  basic  dues  will
        increase  for the coming year--to $155 for a regular  membership.
        Divisional fees are additional.  This increase is part of a grand
        plan  for  increments  over time to  accommodate  inflation,  new
        programs,  and growth.  Your representative argued strongly  that
        not  all growth is good growth; golden oratory not  withstanding,
        the  dues  increase passed!  A provision was  included,  however,
        specifying  that the increase would be offset with a  credit  for
        those who order APA journals.  Special assessments such as  those
        levied  on clinicians and some clinical researchers by the  Prac-
        tice Directorate also will increase.

             Parenthetically,  it  should  be noted  that  some  "science
        members"  (treatment researchers who are nonclinicians) of  Divi-
        sion  28 pay the extra fees.  It must be emphasized on behalf  of
        the  Director and staff members of the Practice Directorate  that
        they have shown a strong allegiance to the science of  psychology
        and  application of science in practice;  thus, these  funds  are
        not  wasted.  Ironically, the Practice Directorate now  calls  on
        our Division for advice as often as, or more often than, does the
        Science Directorate.  The Science Directorate has done more,  and
        can do more, for behavioral scientists, psychological scientists,
        and  behavioral neuroscientists than most other organizations  in
        which  they hold membership.  The APA is numerically  and  finan-
        cially  powerful; the Council and APA central  offices  generally
        take the "right positions" on issues of importance to Division 28
        members.   This is more likely to occur if you are active in  the
        Division and make known your interests and needs, which can  then
        be conveyed to the Council and APA staff members.

             The proposed budget for the coming year is approximately $39
        million and includes neither surplus nor deficit.  For copies  of
        the budget materials, please write to John Grabowski, Ph.D. Dept.
        of  Psychiatry  and Behavioral Sciences, Univ.  of  Texas  Health
        Science Center, 1300 Moursund, Rm. 341, Houston, TX 77030.

             The  February, 1991 meeting will be my last as your  Council
        representative,  and I will provide a summary of observations  in
        the  spring  issue.   Steve Fowler has been elected  as  the  new
        Council Representative and will take up the Division 28 banner in
        August of 1991.

        A NEW JOURNAL:  BRIEF REPORT

        John Grabowski
        Council Representative

             Dr. Gary Vandenbos, APA Director of Publications,  initiated
        discussions  in February (APA Council Meeting) with John  Grabow-
        ski, Division 28, on development of an APA-based psychopharmacol-
        ogy journal.  This issue was discussed at the Executive Committee
        meeting  in  May.   Cautious  forward  movement  was  encouraged.
        Grabowski  submitted a proposal to Dr. Bruce Overmeir, member  of
        the APA Publications Board, which was received  enthusiastically.
        Grabowski  agreed  at the August Executive Committee  meeting  to