[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] using Cisco terminal concentrator with UUCP

neptune@eddie.mit.edu (Alan M. Steele) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar14.005550.27039@eddie.mit.edu> neptune@eddie.MIT.EDU (Alan M. Steele) writes:
 > Is there someone reading this who is using a Cisco box with UUCP
 > dialin modems (esp. Telebit modems)?  I have been trying for quite a
 > while to establish a reliable UUCP connection through our Cisco box,
 > with no luck.  (Reply personally, I'll post a summary.)

Well, the solution that worked for me came from
romain@pyramid.pyramid.com (Romain Kang).  He suggests telnetting
directly to the uucp port (port 540) on the target machine.  (This
assumes that you are running uucpd.)  He writes:

> Rutgers uses their Ciscos with UUCP.  I don't know what their configuration
> is, but Mel Pleasant (pleasant@rutgers.edu) has mentioned hardware flow
> control.  A login script looks something like
>         "" \r\d\r\c > term\sdownload > rutgers\s540\s/stream in:
>
> Note that they like people to use the TCP uucp port, rather than a telnet
> connection, since it saves telnet+tty overhead.  Transfer rates are also
> noticeably higher, and Cisco serial ports are a lot more reliable that
> those directly on their Sun used to be.  Plain telnet connections also
> work, but I'm proud to have suggested the direct TCP port to Mel in the
> first place.  The /stream option is now standard; I think the download
> option is too.

Romain, thanks a bunch for that suggestion.  (Why didn't I think of that?)
These are the modem settings that I used (for a TB+):

 AT &F S51=5 S52=2 S53=2 S54=1 S58=0 S66=1 S68=2 Q4 E0 S110=255 S111=30 &W

Also, the Cisco line should be configured with no escape character and
telnet-transparent.  fedor@uu.psi.com (Mark S. Fedor) writes:

> if the problem is that the uucp connection hangs....  you have to set
> "set terminal tranparent" and "set terminal no escape" on the
> terminal server before you connect to the uucp account.  The terminal
> server has to be set as transparent as possible or else it will
> grab characters from the UUCP stream and try to process them
> locally.  You can set these terminal server parameters using the
> UUCP chat script....

Mark Nagel <nagel@wintermute.ICS.UCI.EDU> recommends the following modem
settings. (Note that the settings that he explains differ from the ATN?
dump that he includes.  These settings didn't work quite right when I
tried them, but the explanation is useful.)  Also, I tried to
configure our Cisco with the "modem inout" option (as described in the
doc updates) and it didn't work!!!  It said "Bad modem command."

Anyway, Mark Nagel <nagel@wintermute.ICS.UCI.EDU> sez:

> We use two TB+ modems here connected directly to our ASM (v7.0
> ROMS).  I can give you the modem settigns, but I have forgotten what
> wiring our engineer used to connect them up.  If that's important I
> can see if he still has that information.  We have not yet
> successfully used them for outgoing UUCP.  The modems are hooked up
> for hardware flow control.  The lines are set to modem inout (were
> ri-is-cd until we got our ROM upgrade).

TB+ settings  (according to Mark Nagel)
------------

S45=0           disable remote command mode
S50=255         allow only PEP mode connections
S51=255         interface speed = autobaud
S52=1           modem is disconnected if DTR goes low and modem will
                not auto-answer if DTR is low
S53=1           DSR is on when the modem is ready to accept commands
                or data; DCD is on when the carrier is detected
S54=3           pass BREAKS through the modem transparently
S58=0           no flow control from the modem to the DTE
S60=0           8 bit data, no parity, one stop bit
S67=0           CTS is used for hardware flow control based on S58
S68=2           use hardware flow control.  CTS is turned off by the
                modem when it wants to stop the flow of data to it.
                CTS is turned on when the modem will accept data.
S92=0           use standard answering sequence
S104=0          disable automatic dialing
S110=0          disable data compression always
S111=30         UUCP "g" protocol supported
E1              echo characters back to the DTE in command mode
F1              Echoplex OFF
M1              speaker ON
Q2              remote quiet YES, local quiet NO
V1              verbose ON
X1              extended result codes enabled

E1 F1 M1 Q2 T V1 X1     Version BA4.00
S00=001 S01=000 S02=043 S03=013 S04=010 S05=001 S06=002 S07=040 S08=002 S09=006
S10=007 S11=070 S12=050
S45=000 S47=004 S48=000 S49=000
S50=255 S51=005 S52=000 S53=001 S54=003 S55=000 S56=017 S57=019 S58=000 S59=000
S60=000 S61=045 S62=003 S63=001 S64=000 S65=000 S66=000 S67=000 S68=002
S90=000 S91=000 S92=000 S95=000
S100=000 S101=000 S102=000 S104=000
S110=000 S111=030 S112=001
S121=000

----------

Some people agreed with me that the Cisco ASM has trouble with uucp
connections using Telnet protocol.

gpz@api.ESD.3Com.COM (G. Paul Ziemba) recommends using rlogin:

> I use the following L.sys entry to dial in to a machine via a Cisco box.
> Granted, I'm not using a Tbit, but it might do what you need. Rlogin is
> great. On the other hand, if your target machine does not support rlogin,
> my sympathies. I did do it without rlogin once upon a time, but the
> connection was pretty flaky.

> foomachine Any,1 ACU 1200 9,9999999 >~2-\r\d\r->~2-\r\d\r->~2 \
  terminal\sescape\s0 > rlogin\sfoomachine in:~3 foomymachine d: foopassword

Thanks to everyone who answered.  If anyone has questions or would
like more information about how to wire, configure and otherwise set
up UUCP modems on a Cisco, please send me mail at:

-Alan Steele
 MIT EECS ECF Staff
 neptune@fenchurch.mit.edu    ...!mit-eddie!neptune