[net.space] Reactors on the moon

OTA@S1-A@sri-unix (09/15/82)

From: Ted Anderson <OTA at S1-A>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 82 12:52:28 EDT
From: dyer at NBS-VMS
Subject: Reactors on the moon

	A moon-based reactor has all kinds of plusses going for it.
You don't have to worry much about the safety features that are
currently plauging the US's public utility reactors -- if there are no
people around to be affected by a leak or meltdown, then who cares?
The moon is an ideal enviroment for containing leaks because of the
lack of atomosphere and prevailing winds to carry the gasses away.

	A lunar reactor could be /very/ minimal compared to
earth-based reactors -- the best shielding might be six or seven miles
worth of horizon, with the core and cooling system installed in a
crater or pit.

	Set up a dozen or so 'throw-away' fast breeders on an
otherwise empty plain.  The reactors would be designed to last only
five to ten years, and would be (comparatively) inexpensive.  Every
once in a while you switch fuel rods and process the plutonium, an
operation that could also take place in an inexpensive lunar-based
plant.  Use the plutonium for mining, for power reactors, or for
shoving asteroids around, a-la Dyson's ORION.  Hopefully not for
bombs.

	After ten years, or a melt-down, you bury the reactor with
rock and moondust and spread radiation warning signs liberally around
the area.  Since the signs will probably stay around as long as the
area stays hot (several million years?), future space-faring nations
will be able to see that the burying-gound is an unhealthy place to
dig.

	Gee, you could even have cheap waste-disposal: just launch
waste cannisters with a mass-driver, so they would intersect the
sun....

-Landon-

Ciccarelli@PARC-MAXC@sri-unix (09/16/82)

On Earth, nuclear reactors are (by some arguments) a cost-effective power source
compared to alternatives.  On the Moon, *no* such advantage exists when
compared to the obvious competitor: sunlight.  Consider the following criteria:

[Generator site]
  Nuclear:  If you build it "dirty" and unshielded (as suggested), its users must
be some distance away, at least outside the crater.
  Solar:  No site restrictions.  Power is generated where needed, without long
transmission lines.  Move the power station when you need to; it's not "hot",
large, or heavy (especially with photovoltaics).

[Fuel]
  Nuclear:  (a) Launch it from earth, *if* your citizens and the rest of the world
don't object to the possibility of an unexpected "hot" shower if the launch
vehicle fails, or (b) Find it (if it exists), mine it, and set up and power a
separation plant on the moon (not worth considering).
  By the way there's the nasty detail of reprocessing breeder output.  Presumably
this involves robots or highly-paid humans, not to mention a plutonium
remanufacture facility.  Sounds complex...
  Solar:  Spread a thin reflective sheet, or set up your photovoltaics!  No hot
waste to reprocess, either.

[Electrical generator]
  Nuclear: (and Solar) could run a turbine (such a solar turbine has been
proposed for an orbiting solar power satellite), but turbogenerators have to be
shipped from Earth until you can make them "up there", and they have certain
economies of scale (lower efficiency when made smaller).
  Solar: Photovoltaics would be much easier (than turbines) to make "locally",
since no iron is involved and silicon is plentiful.  They are usable in ANY size;
just connect enough cells in series and/or parallel to provide the desired voltage
and current.  They have NO moving parts, aren't "hot", and are easily relocated.
There's no downtime or power reduction during repairs since you can replace
modules without shutting down others in the array.

[Industrial process heat, i.e. for smelting and reduction of rocks]
  Nuclear:  Heat can't be used directly without shielding (if you expect to have
humans anywhere nearby...).  This means electrical conversion (lossy) and
reconversion to heat or RF.  Why bother...?
  Solar:  Easier than power generation; just aim mirrors at whatever needs the
heat.  Turns on and off instantly; not true for a reactor.

...Lastly, I abhor the "run it till it melts down, then bury it" school of
engineering.  The same goes for the "launch the wastes into the sun"
suggestions.  Why *create* these problems in the first place, when obviously
better paths exist?  I'll be damned if I'd like to be the 22nd-century lunar
homesteader who happens to encounter your (oops, mistakenly unmarked)
plutonium waste dump.

/John

grunwald (09/17/82)

#R:sri-unix:-328000:uiucdcs:12700010:000:591
uiucdcs!grunwald    Sep 16 18:38:00 1982

re: dumping wastes on the moon

  Somehow, some little voice inside my head says that if we dump all of
our nuclear waste so close to home so soon, that in 5000 years, we'll
wish we hadn't. Assuming people are still alive, the moon would have
a much more key position for travel and whatnot. It would seem a shame to
to that to such a nicely situated piece of rock. A better plan would be to
be a little safer about it, and then cleanup and shoot the wastes into
deep space (say at a near by star). Even if it takes a few centuries to
get to the star, it wouldn't matter much in deep space.

mcdaniel (09/17/82)

#R:sri-unix:-328000:uiucdcs:12700011:000:589
uiucdcs!mcdaniel    Sep 16 21:09:00 1982

However, Luna is a *B*I*G* rock! There is plenty of room for just
about anything you'd like to do. Furthermore, unlike the earth,
one spot is just about as good as any other (no weather, river,
air pressure, etc. worries -- just land roughness, and that can
be solved with a grader or by going down to one of the "seas".)
Luna's radius is Order(3000 km) (plus or minus 75%!), and
tha surface area of a sphere is 4*pi*r*r (I think), so
the lunar surface has an area of 4*3*3e3*3e3 = 1e8 or so
square kilometers of more or less usable area (give or take a factor
of 100). Plenty of room.

karn (09/17/82)

Gee, you'd have to be careful not to put all those waste dumps together
on one side of the moon, or else they might reach a critical mass and
explode and drive the moon out of its orbit to wander through the galaxy
and encounter all kinds of aliens and weird things...

Seriously, reactors do have the advantage of generating power (and much
needed heat) during the long lunar night.  I would suppose that both
solar and nuclear sources would have their places on the moon.
Remember that the ALSEP packages used radioisotope generators.

Phil Karn

ech (09/17/82)

#R:sri-unix:-330400:whuxlb:9300003:000:1162
whuxlb!ech    Sep 17 15:24:00 1982

The observations about the relative advantages of solar over nuclear power
on the moon are persuasive, except for one glitch: the sun shines only
about half the time, and when it does shine you have to "point" your
collectors at it for maximum advantage (simply spreading a sheet on the
more-or-less horizontal means you wind up with a power uptake that looks
like a sine curve with the negative side clipped to 0).

Indeed, the solar arguments are most persuasive only when the sun shines
almost all the time, e.g. in orbit.  This is the tremendous advantage of
the L5-style space colony: the sun is almost always there to tap, and
keeping the collector aimed at it is fairly easy in freefall.

The major problem with solar power on planetary surfaces remains the lack
of effective energy storage technology.  The need for energy storage
transcends solar needs, of course: any electric utility would like to be
able to run its generating plant at a constant rate, storing the surplus at
times of low demand and tapping it for peak demand.  Solar power for mining
the moon has the dual problem: a constant demand and a fluctuating power source.

=Ned Horvath=

CSD.MCGRATH@SU-SCORE@sri-unix (09/18/82)

From: Jim McGrath <CSD.MCGRATH at SU-SCORE>

-------

barnes (09/20/82)

#R:sri-unix:-328000:uiucdcs:12700012:000:1131
uiucdcs!barnes    Sep 19 19:49:00 1982

	I seem to recall from my history classes that back a few
decades we thought the oceans and remote sections of our planet
were big enough to take it.  The World has a slightly different
opinion now.
	In 5000 years I don't think that hunk of rock will mean
anything to us execpt as a museum.  Think of what was happening
on this planet 5000 years ago and if we survive another 5000 years,
we won't be worrying about little star systems like this one.

				uiucdcs!barnes

***** uiucdcs:net.space / mcdaniel /  9:09 pm  Sep 16, 1982