[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Does Cisco make a level 7 Gateway?

howeird@hpspdra.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (08/03/90)

Does Cisco make a gateway that operates at level 7? If so, can anyone
tell me what model(s)?
Thanks.

Howard Stateman
Systems Support Engineer
Intelligent Networks Operation, Palo Alto
howeird@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (08/04/90)

In article <20560001@hpspdra.HP.COM>,
howeird@hpspdra.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
> Does Cisco make a gateway that operates at level 7? If so, can anyone
> tell me what model(s)?
> Thanks.

	You could use a terminal server or a TRouter as a telnet/rlogin
gateway.  Or maybe as a telnet/LAT gateway.  Of course, it's not too
transparent, since your users have to login via telnet and then log
thru via rlogin or LAT.

	But I would say that that qualifies as Level 7, so the answer
is "Yes.  All models."

	(Kirk, you think I would be good at marketing?)

	--Kent

satz@cisco.com (Greg Satz) (08/05/90)

cisco makes a device that is called a Protocol Translator. It speaks
X.3/X.29/X.25 and Rlogin,Telnet/TCP/IP so that users can traverse from one
world into the other. There are mechanisms for setting up transparent
connections so that the user doesn't have to enter two sets of names. It
allows devices out in the X.25 network to appear as if it were part of the
TCP/IP internet and hosts on the internet to appear as if they were part of
the X.25 network.  The device has the ability to map incoming X.25 calls to
any IP address and port and incoming Telnet/Rlogin connections into X.25
calls with arbitrary Call User Data. The next software release will also
provide LAT support.

While not strictly a level 7 gateway device, it does provide forwarding
service above the transport layer.  Drop a note to
customer-service@cisco.com for more information.

Greg Satz
cisco