[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Cisco configuration to boot 3Com terminal servers across subnets

vaillan@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Clement Vaillancourt) (08/14/90)

I have a CS200 terminal server on one subnet and the NCS on the
other subnet of my Cisco. My Cisco have two ethernet interfaces.

How can I boot a CS200 terminal server running TCP/IP software
from a NCS across subnets. Those were made by Bridge Communication now 3Com.
The NCS is a PC running Xenix and it's job is to download the
resident software in the ram's of the terminal server.

Even if those two boxes run TCP, I think some XNS is involved at
boot time. What configuration is required in the Cisco?

I still have about 20 of those terminal servers and I will replace them
with Cisco when new money comes. Support from 3Com is /dev/null.

Thanks, Clem.
--
   Clement Vaillancourt,             |   Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
   Network Manager                   |        1800 Montee Ste-Julie, Varennes
   Email: vaillan@ireq.hydro.qc.ca   |  Tel: 514-652-8238 / Fax: 514-652-8309

vaillan@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Clement Vaillancourt) (08/16/90)

In article <2444@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> vaillan@ireq.hydro.qc.ca () writes:
>I have a CS200 terminal server on one subnet and the NCS on the
>other subnet of my Cisco. My Cisco have two ethernet interfaces.
>
>How can I boot a CS200 terminal server running TCP/IP software
>from a NCS across subnets. Those were made by Bridge Communication now 3Com.
>
>Even if those two boxes run TCP, I think some XNS is involved at
>boot time. What configuration is required in the Cisco?

I tried routing XNS protocol between the ethernet interfaces in my
Cisco but that did not work; I used the Cisco Bridging Software on
the same Ethernet and this worked.

Thanks to:
JOHN@heap.cisco.com
jzs@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM
sung@mcnc.org

Clem.
--
   Clement Vaillancourt,             |   Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
   Network Manager                   |        1800 Montee Ste-Julie, Varennes
                                     |             P. Quebec, Canada, J3X 1S1
   Email: vaillan@ireq.hydro.qc.ca   |  Tel: 514-652-8238 / Fax: 514-652-8309

satz@cisco.com (Greg Satz) (08/19/90)

I recall that the protocol that Bridge/3com devices use to boot from can
only be bridged. Unfortunately I do not recall what protocol it is. Maybe
someone else on this list can help out?  If you have some sort of ethernet
monitor you can easily determine what protocol the devices emit when they
try to boot. This requires that you have the bridging software option in
your cisco routers.

Contact customer-service@cisco.com if you have any questions.

Greg Satz
cisco

dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu (Dale Smith) (08/19/90)

Greg Satz <satz@cisco.com> writes:
> I recall that the protocol that Bridge/3com devices use to boot from can
> only be bridged. Unfortunately I do not recall what protocol it is. Maybe
> someone else on this list can help out?  If you have some sort of ethernet
> monitor you can easily determine what protocol the devices emit when they
> try to boot. This requires that you have the bridging software option in
> your cisco routers.

The only Bridge/3com devices I know about are their older (cs1/cs200/cs210)
terminal server product line, although I am pretty sure that the majority
of their product line is the same.  They use XNS to boot.  If you are running
the NCS/AT version 2.0 or greater, then they use XNS to boot a loader, which
then uses something they call an 802.3 SLP loader, which uses 802.3 format
packets.  So, not only do you have to bridge XNS, but you also have to
bridge 802.3 as well (since cisco's hybrige software only allows you to
filter on the length fields of an 802.3 packet).  A trick we are using
here to avoid bridging 802.3 is to tell the NCS/AT that the bootstrap
loader is the actual image itself.  This means that the image for the
terminal server gets loaded instead of the 802.3 bootstrap loader.  It
works fine.

I've had a number of rounds of discussions with Bridge/3com folks about
this issue and they think it is a feature, or maybe a reason to buy Bridge
routers.  Don't expect to see any changes soon.

Hope this clears things up a little.

Dale Smith, Acting Director of Network Services
University of Oregon		Internet: dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu
Computing Center		BITNET: dsmith@oregon.bitnet
Eugene, OR  97403-1212		Voice: (503)346-4394

jliv@foghorn.sfsu.edu (John Loiacono IV) (08/19/90)

> I recall that the protocol that Bridge/3com devices use to boot from can
> only be bridged. Unfortunately I do not recall what protocol it is. Maybe
> someone else on this list can help out?  If you have some sort of ethernet
> monitor you can easily determine what protocol the devices emit when they
> try to boot. This requires that you have the bridging software option in
> your cisco routers.
>
> Greg Satz

If you can filter on Ethernet packet type, try the values 9001 and 9002.
I am pretty sure this is all you need.

jliv
SFSU