[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Inaccurate interface statistics/Sniffer

imp@osa.com (Charles T. Lukaszewski) (09/04/90)

In our experience, the symptoms you describe may derive from one of
both of a combination of two factors.  There may be others.

We have done extensive testing of every major protocol analyzer on the
market and have found the Sniffer to be somewhat inaccurate, sometimes by
substantial amounts, in its current form.  In particular, when the
results of a Sniffer analysis are compared to the interface statistics
of certain computers (VAXes, DG Aviion & Sun tested to date), they do not
match, often by an order of magnitude.  This affects most protocol
analyzers to one degree or another.  We've found the Hewlett-Packard
4972 to be accurate almost 100% of the time, and is an excellent
benchmark for the Sniffer, if you can get your hands on one.  Network
General itself uses the 4972 to test the Sniffer.

If you have twisted-pair ethernet, this may be another source of
discrepancy.  There is a problem in many vendors (at least ODS &
Synoptics - we're still checking Cabletron & David Systems) implementations of
collision handling under 10BaseT.  As there is no distinct collision
detect line under 10BaseT as there is in an AUI cable (10BaseT has
only Transmit & Receive lines), collisions must be communicated to
individual stations through a transmission of a special preamble.
Depending on your network design, that preamble can be transmitted to
the rest of the network.

We have documented this behavior at several client sites, and it seems to
affect Cisco routers more than any other kind of network device.
Specifically, while just about every other network device or node will
ignore the preamble as network "junk", the cisco picks it up as a
network error.  The solution is to place a filtering bridge between
the Cisco(s) and any twisted-pair equipment.  Ciscos should *not* be
directly connected to either ODS or Synoptics hubs if you wish to
avoid this situation.

Chuck Lukaszewski                imp@osa.com                       612 525-0000
Managing Partner & Chairman                       Open Systems Architects, Inc.
 "Who needs a disclaimer? I liked the opinions so much, I bought the company."

smb@ulysses.att.com (09/06/90)

Since the item on Ciscos vs. 10BaseT networks was rather alarming to
me, I forwarded it to Pat Thaler at HP, a member of the 10BaseT standards
committee.  Here is her reply, forwarded with permission:

		--Steve Bellovin

----

From: Pat Thaler <pat@hprnd.hp.com>
Full-Name: Pat Thaler
Subject: Re: 10BaseT incompatibilities?
To: smb@ulysses.att.com
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 13:21:12 PDT
Mailer: Elm [revision: 64.9]

	(deleted)

You may forward my response below on to the mailing list.

This is incorrect, there is no special preamble for 10BASE-T collisions
and stations should see the same kinds of things they see on a coax
network.  Details follow:

10BASE-T handles collision just like a 10BASE2/10BASE5 (coax) LAN with
repeaters.  Stations connected to a segment with two active transmitters
will get a collision indication (Signal Quality Error (SQE)) on the
Control In (CI) pair of the AUI.  On coax this would be any stations
connected to a coax segment which has at least two transmitters active
(actually, that is only true when the stations have transceivers with
receive mode collision detect; stations with transceivers with transmit
mode collision detect may not see the collision indication if they
are not transmitting).  On twisted pair only stations which are
transmitting will see SQE (because there are only two transceivers
per segment).

Stations attached to a segment with only a single transceiver
transmitting (whether twisted pair or coax) see the same thing
during collision.  They see a packet which begins with normal preamble
and has fewer than 512 bits following the start of frame delimiter.
They are suppose to know to reject packets which are shorter than
minFrameSize (that is 512 bits) as collision fragments.  This is
true regardless of whether they are Ethernet Rev 1, Ethernet Rev 2
or IEEE 802.3 stations.  The repeater standard (IEEE 802.3d) requires
that all repeaters begin transmitting with at least the first 62 bits
being a repeating pattern of 101010....  If a collision is detected,
jam after the first 62 bits have been sent may consist of any
bit pattern as long as it is not intentionally
concluded with the correct CRC for the bits sent.  There is no
special preamble or collision pattern for 10BASE-T.  (Repeater
designers often choose to jam with the same pattern as preamble,
so collision fragments where the collision was detected during
pramble may look like a very long preamble with no start of
frame delimiter.)

Stations with non-receive mode collision detect transceivers
attached to a coax segment with more than one other transceiver
transmitting may not see collision detect.  They will see a packet
of less than 512 bits, but the content is indeterminate since
they are seeing two transmissions superimposed on each other.

Of course, statements about collision fragments being less than
512 bits may not hold if you violate the topology rules and let
your network get too long.

> We have documented this behavior at several client sites, and it seems to
> affect Cisco routers more than any other kind of network device.
> Specifically, while just about every other network device or node will
> ignore the preamble as network "junk", the cisco picks it up as a
> network error.  The solution is to place a filtering bridge between
> the Cisco(s) and any twisted-pair equipment.  Ciscos should *not* be
> directly connected to either ODS or Synoptics hubs if you wish to
> avoid this situation.

I have heard before of problems with Cisco routers and short fragments.
Perhaps you should talk to people at Cisco about this.  A short
fragment created by a collision is a normal part of Ethernet/IEEE 802.3
network operation, not a network error.  These fragments are not
specific to 10BASE-T operation only, they also occur on multi-segment
coax LANs.

> Chuck Lukaszewski              imp@osa.com                       612 525-0000
> Managing Partner & Chairman                     Open Systems Architects, Inc.
>  "Who needs a disclaimer? I liked the opinions so much, I bought the company."
>
> ------- End of Forwarded Message

Pat Thaler
pat@hprnd.hp.com

------- End of Forwarded Message