[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Possible Heat Problems

matthews@uswat.uswest.com (John Matthews) (09/05/90)

Can someone comment on the cooling requirements for the CGS?
The problem that we are having is that ever since we swapped out a
AGS for a CGS in our main phone closet, we have been having problems
with our T1 circuit to the internet.  It has been going down like
clock work during the past three weekends and it comes back up
on Monday morning.  Our facilities group turns off all air conditioning
in this area on the weekends and it does get quite hot in there.  I
originally thought that I had pinned it down to being a bad modem, but
now that I am using a second modem and still seeing the same problems,
I'm not sure.  Our original modem was just returned and CASE/DataTel
says there's nothing wrong with it.  Has anyone seen CASE/DataTel
modems not work when they get hot and then start working again when
they cool off?  How about the same question for the CGS?
The reason I am suspicious of the modems is that one day we were
having this problem and I swapped the modem out and then everything
worked fine.  I am wondering if the fan in the previous AGS was keeping
everything cool and now that it's gone, the air around the modem isn't
being circulated as much.  Sound strange?  It is!!!
		Thanks in advance,
                        John Matthews
                        matthews@uswat.uswest.com

kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) (09/05/90)

In article <10832@uswat.UUCP> matthews@uswat.uswest.com (John Matthews) writes:

> ... I am wondering if the fan in the previous AGS was keeping
>everything cool and now that it's gone, the air around the modem isn't
>being circulated as much.  Sound strange?  It is!!!
>		Thanks in advance,
>                        John Matthews
>                        matthews@uswat.uswest.com

	The AGS fan is a wonder.  It has the airflow to cool a large
machine room.  We use a spare AGS chassis and a long extension cord as
a leaf blower in the fall.  It has saved us spending $600 on a
dedicated leaf-blower.

	Be careful not to place any loose papers near an AGS chassis.
The AGS has a hell of a pull and thin papers can get sucked in and
shredded.  But it is not a good general purpose shredder; it won't
handle more than three sheets at a time.  The AGS is also an
acceptable background noise generator, but it could be better if the
fan noise was a little "whiter".

	I expect your AGS was cooling the entire closet and the CGS
just can't do that.  This is why an AGS is worth the extra ~$6k cisco
charges.

	--Kent

	Disclaimer: I don't always use enough smileys :-)

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (09/06/90)

>	The AGS fan is a wonder.  It has the airflow to cool a large
>machine room.  We use a spare AGS chassis and a long extension cord as
>a leaf blower in the fall.  It has saved us spending $600 on a
>dedicated leaf-blower.

Remember that the original AGS was designed by Len Bosack, who
involved in the design work behind the original KL-10 processor.  At a
DECUS meeting, a user complained about the loud fans in the KL-10.
The DEC representative explained, "yes, but you have to understand
that the KL-10 was originally designed as a hovercraft."  Perhaps
some of the design philosophy has carried over...