[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Protocol analyzers

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (09/07/90)

In article <14050007@hpccc.HP.COM>, doerfler@hpccc.HP.COM (Mike Doerfler) writes:

> As far as the HP4972 not being a very good protocol analyzer, you need to
> puchase the approprate software to run on the analyzer to get better results.
> Contact HP for ordering information.

Even with the appropriate software it still is no Sniffer. But because of the
super HP hardware there are things in protocol analysis that the HP can do that
the Sniffer can't.

Another HP employee recently posted a detailed list of the pros and cons of both
systems to comp.dcom.lans. They agreed pretty closely with my opinions. I plan
to keep one of each.

					Kevin