[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] customer service

ROBERT@VM1.MCGILL.CA (Robert Craig) (09/07/90)

I recently had occasion to call cisco customer service
to request they ship me the brass fitting for a V.35
interface in a CGS router (we had ordered it with the
router, but it got lost somewhere).  I was *very*
pleasantly blown away by the presence, next morning,
of a FedEx envelope in my mail box, containing said fitting!

It may seem like a small thing, but if you do the small things
right it makes for happy customers.

Thanks to the folks in customer service,

Robert Craig                          domain: robert@vm1.mcgill.ca
Senior Network Analyst                bitnet: robert@mcgill1
McGill University Computing Centre    Tel: (514) 398-3710
805 Sherbrooke St. W.                 FAX: (514) 398-6876
Montreal, Quebec H3A 2K6              CORISQ: (514) 398-RISQ

swatt@noc.net.yale.edu (Alan S. Watt) (09/07/90)

>Date: Fri, 07 Sep 90 06:04:23 EDT
>From: Robert Craig <ROBERT@vm1.mcgill.ca>
>Subject: customer service
>To: Cisco List <cisco@spot.colorado.edu>
>
>I recently had occasion to call cisco customer service
>to request they ship me the brass fitting for a V.35
>interface in a CGS router (we had ordered it with the
>router, but it got lost somewhere).  I was *very*
>pleasantly blown away by the presence, next morning,
>of a FedEx envelope in my mail box, containing said fitting!
>
>It may seem like a small thing, but if you do the small things
>right it makes for happy customers.
>
>Thanks to the folks in customer service,

Not to take anything away from cisco for their prompt response, but you
should really thank Federal Express as well.  They have made guaranteed
overnight delivery such a common service it has really changed the way
companies operate their service departments.  FedEx and similar outfits
enable smaller companies like cisco to provide service almost as good
as much larger firms with local offices.

In a business where most problems can be solved by replacing boards, a
"reasonably handy" customer + Federal Express is almost as good as the
vendor's service technician.

	- Alan S. Watt
	  High Speed Networking, Yale University
	  Computing and Information Systems