[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] power supplies failing like S&L's

schoff@psi.com (Marty Schoffstall) (09/14/90)

We've had our 4th failure this week of a CGS power supply, all
a little over a week old.  cisco swares that we are the only ones
in the world to have this problem.

I'd like to here from the people who own them.

Marty

RAF@CU.NIH.GOV (Roger Fajman) (09/14/90)

> We've had our 4th failure this week of a CGS power supply, all
> a little over a week old.  cisco swares that we are the only ones
> in the world to have this problem.
>
> I'd like to here from the people who own them.
>
> Marty

We have several CGSs installed and more to come.  So far no failures.
They were manufactured in March and June 1990 (according to the serial
numbers).

mikes%tektronix.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Mike Skrydlak -- Tektronix Network Services) (09/15/90)

We have had no such problems with our CGS boxes or our AGS boxes.
We've had most of them over a year.

dana@ferris.cray.com (Dana Dawson) (09/15/90)

We have about 60 or so boxes from cisco, and as far as I know, have not
had any power supply problems since we got our first box several years
ago.

Dana Dawson
Cray Research, Inc.
dana@cray.com

jyy@merit.edu (Jessica Yu) (09/16/90)

Have been dealing with at least 20 cisco boxes and  never experienced the
case you described.
                                        Jessica Yu

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 90 18:38:17 -0400
From: schoff@psi.com (Marty Schoffstall)
To: cisco@spot.Colorado.EDU
Subject: power supplies failing like S&L's

We've had our 4th failure this week of a CGS power supply, all
a little over a week old.  cisco swares that we are the only ones
in the world to have this problem.

I'd like to here from the people who own them.

Marty

schoff@psi.com (Martin Lee Schoffstall) (09/16/90)

I'm glad for you.

Marty
---------

 Date: Thu, 13 Sep 90 18:38:17 -0400
 To: cisco@spot.Colorado.EDU

hobson@madness.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) (09/18/90)

In article <9009132238.AA01516@psi.com> schoff@PSI.COM (Marty Schoffstall) writes:

> We've had our 4th failure this week of a CGS power supply, all
> a little over a week old.  cisco swares that we are the only ones
> in the world to have this problem.

We have mostly AGS and MGS chassis at the university (>70 at last
count with 20 more on their way) and one CGS chassis from JvNCnet. We
have chassis that are around 4 years old. The oldest chassis power
supply went out about 2 years ago and was replaced. The only other
power supply problem we have ever had happen to be a department
installation of interface card incorrectly. The power supplies on
Cisco run very well considering the brownouts and blackouts we
normally have all around the state.
--
Kevin Hobson				Internet: hobson@rutgers.edu
Rutgers - The State University		UUCP: {backbone}!rutgers!hobson