[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] cisco Documentation FLAME

poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) (09/14/90)

Why the heck has cisco started to make their release notes absolutely
useless? Why do I need a complete new manual for each software release?
(Money is not a problem, but throwing away a complete set of manuals
every three to four months, is in my eyes complete nonsense and seriously
discredits cisco in my opinion.)

I've had three TRouters upgraded from various software releases to 8.1,
what I want is a list of changes from the 8.0 docs (which I have) to
8.1 (the release notes provide this) and how to use the new features
(the release note do NOT help in this respect).

						Simon Poole
 poole@verw.switch.ch / poole@chx400.switch.ch / mcsun!chx400!poole

neihart@mozart.amd.com (Carl Neihart) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep14.153954.16341@chx400.switch.ch> poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) writes:

>Why the heck has cisco started to make their release notes absolutely
>useless? Why do I need a complete new manual for each software release?

hmmmm....  personally, I *LIKE* having a complete new manual.
I do *NOT* like to determine which paragraphs/pages no longer
apply in the existing manual due to the new release.  I do not have
time to go thru the whole manual and weed the corrected pages out from
the correct pages.

However, I agree a summary list itemizing the enhancements & bug fixes of
each release is very important, and should be included as an insert at the
beginning of the manual.

regards,
   __            _    _ __
  /  )          //   ' )  )      /           _/_
 /    __.  __  //     /  / _  o /_  __.  __  /
(__/ (_/|_/ (_</__   /  (_</_<_/ /_(_/|_/ (_<__

| Carl Neihart, Sr. Networking Engineer                     |
| Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.                              |
| Austin, Texas                                             |
| voice   (512) 462-4050                                    |
| fax     (512) 462-5156                                    |
| E-mail address:   neihart@mozart.AMD.COM                  |

poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.193403.2126@mozart.amd.com> neihart@mozart.amd.com (Carl Neihart) writes:
>hmmmm....  personally, I *LIKE* having a complete new manual.
>I do *NOT* like to determine which paragraphs/pages no longer
>apply in the existing manual due to the new release.  I do not have
>time to go thru the whole manual and weed the corrected pages out from
>the correct pages.

It's not that I like doing the work, but sometimes other things are more
important, like conservation of natural resources.....

Anyway, as cisco has told me and posted to this group, they do seem to
have change pages from the 8.0 versions of the manuals to the current
ones. It just seems as if there was a rather big communication failure
between Menlo Park and Europe.