[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] T1 MUXing within your cisco box

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (09/19/90)

It seems a bit silly to have everything so nicely multiplexed on
enet, and then go into a router or bridge box and have to come out
with a rats nest of v.35 cables to go into a T1 mux to get them all
multiplexed back onto a T1 to be piped to your favorite carrier who
will deliver the individual DS0s (or Nx56/64kb ckts) to remote
sites.

Certainly this has been the prefered way to access an IXC, but now
the LECs are allowing T1s to be piped into them and broken down in
their DACS for delivery to diverse locations, and moreover they are
allowing direct customer control of THEIR DACs. I believe this sort
of feature is available in PacTel's ADN service and I know it is
available in NY Tel's NRS (Network Reconfiguration Service), and
shortly to be available MA from the other NYNEX child.

Whether you need to reconfigure dynamically or not, the important
part here is that a T1 pipe you pack as you please gets unpacked and
delivered to different places for less cost than having that many
seperate DDS II ckts. Previously you only did this with the IXCs.
Now you can even access an IXC via the LEC's NRS DACS, while other
DS0s in the same T1 go to other IXCs and/or stay intralata.

So back to our rats nest of v.35 connectors behind our LARGE cisco
box. Wouldn't it be nice if cisco would take a T1 in and let us tell
them that it is really 24 x 64kb, or 12 x 128kb, or 8 x 192kb, or
any random mix adding up to 24 x DS0. (obviously N x 56kb also has
to be catered to since LECs often insist on wasting 1/8th of the
bandwidth with older equipment widely deployed).

Just imagine, 24 remote 56/64kb sites with one cable from your cisco
box, and NO T1/FT1 mux needed!

Not possible you say! well, did anyone notice what CODEX did?

They have A box for ~$5k (a bridge, not a router) that takes either
of two different 3 1/2" firmware stiffies. The first flavor stiffy
is <$1k, and only enables the 56/64kb port. This makes this box work
for the typical end node branch office.

BUT, the very same box, when loaded with the OTHER stiffy (~$5k...)
becomes a nifty 24 way central site bridge. This s/w enables the T1
connector on the rear, and you simply define how many DS0s are to be
combined into each ckt! If you only want 56/64kb each, you support 24
remote bridges. Note well that CODEX only changed S/W, not H/W.

And maybe a 3rd (unnanounced) stiffy is labeled ISDN and does 23
remotes on the 23B + D of an ISDN PRI.

If CODEX can do it, cisco certainly can too. Anyone that thinks this
is a good idea should so indicate to cisco.

If cisco has announced plans in this direction, my apologies for
having missed them, otherwise this posting is my vote for what I
expect many of us would love to see.

jh@tut.fi (Juha Heinanen) (09/19/90)

The problem of a rats nest of cables to the T1 mux can be solved by
replacing the T1 mux with a Frame Relay switch.  Ask when your
favorite carrier can provide Frame Relay backbone service. Cisco will
have Frame Relay cabability in 8.2.

TDM technology is old fashioned one of the reason being the one you
mentioned (ie. lack of addressability).  Another reason is that fixed
bandwith (the sum of which <= T1) has to be allocated for each
connection.

-- Juha

--
--	Juha Heinanen, Tampere Univ. of Technology, Finland
	jh@tut.fi (Internet), tut!jh (UUCP), jh@tut (Bitnet)

chen@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Bill Chen) (09/21/90)

So what you're asking for is for cisco to become a T1 mux company right?
I wouldn't mind, then I can get rid of my T1 muxes.

Funny thing is that mux companies and carriers are moving in the opposite
direction. They want to do packet switching, e.g. frame relay, 802.6.

Maybe heaven's in the middle. :-)

- bill
William Chen		chen@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Network Planning	212-854-7593
Columbia University

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.181821.22450@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, chen@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Bill Chen) writes:
> So what you're asking for is for cisco to become a T1 mux company right?
> I wouldn't mind, then I can get rid of my T1 muxes.
>
> Funny thing is that mux companies and carriers are moving in the opposite
> direction. They want to do packet switching, e.g. frame relay, 802.6.

Frame relay isn't here so I can use it TODAY. It should be no huge S/W
investment to give us the T1 muxing NOW, that we can use NOW.

That same box, without many serial line cards, will later be used for
frame relay. The box you have to use today will have TOO many serial
line cards for the future.

Think of it as a stepping stone, if you prefer.