[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Static AppleTalk routing

RESHEF@BGUVM.BITNET (Ofer Reshef) (09/30/90)

Is it possible to "freeze" the AppleTalk routing table in the cisco ?
I know that they are by definition dynamic but I'd like to minimize
the RTMP traffic.

    Thanks in advance

             Ofer Reshef,
             Micro Department, Computation Center,
             Ben-Gurion University of the Negev,
             Beer - Sheva, Israel.

Bitnet : RESHEF@BGUVM.BITNET

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (10/03/90)

In article <738RESHEF@BGUVM> RESHEF@BGUVM.BITNET (Ofer Reshef) writes:

> Is it possible to "freeze" the AppleTalk routing table in the cisco ?
> I know that they are by definition dynamic but I'd like to minimize
> the RTMP traffic.

Ofer, certainly an interesting question as a prelude to a discussion as to
how one might use cisco routers to circumvent AppleTalk's hop-count based
routing limitations on a WAN.  But, is "minimizing the RTMP traffic"
really the primary motivation behind such a request?

Imagine being linked by a pair of cisco gateways communicating over a
56kbps serial link connecting you to a 350-net AppleTalk network.  The
cisco at the far end would use this information to build its AppleTalk
routing table and then every 10 seconds send an RTMP update over the
serial link advertising these 350 nets.  (On Ethernet this would fit into
two RTMP EtherTalk 600-byte broadcast packets.)  Are you really concerned
about 1200 bytes every 10 seconds?  That's only 0.12 kbytes/second or 1.7%
of your serial link being used by RTMP.  'course if you also have a
another 350-nets on your side that 's 1200 more bytes going over the
serial link in the oppoosite direction to the far-end cisco every 10
seconds.  But that's still makes 3.4% bandwidth utilization for RTMP.
And do you really have a 700 net AppleTalk internet?  Apple's Internet
Router s/w is currently hardcoded for max 256 zones.

 ' course the above discussion assumes that you're not trying to run at
less than 56kbps!    :^)

Don't take me wrong. I'm as interested as the next guy in things the
wizards at cisco can do to make it easier for me to route my pet protocol
(in this case AppleTalk) over WANs, but minimizing RTMP would be much
lower on my wish list than say, allowing AppleTalk packets to take
advantage of IGRP.     :^)

Ben Schmidt              Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.    Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information Technology     P.O. Box 3511, Station C      FAX:(613) 763-3283
bschmidt@bnr.ca         Ottawa Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7