[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] serial link accounting

ms@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Marc Sheldon) (10/04/90)

 > What is the best way to get serial line utilization statistics from
 > cisco routers?  I have turned on ip accounting and got session statistics,
 > but I would like more information about hourly averages, peaks, etc.

I have a small sh and awk script running which polls our cisco router
using Daniel Karrenbergs ciscotalk-utility (basically a primitive telnet)
and extracts the data on the serial line interfaces on a five-minute basis.

Marc

ms@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Marc Sheldon) (10/05/90)

It seems i have falsely assumed that everyone on this list remembers
Daniels posting on the accounting tools he made. For the information of
those who don't know where to get this stuff: It is available via anonymous
ftp from mcsun.eu.net in the directory ~ftp/network/cisco and is called
account.shar.Z.

Marc

Marc R. Sheldon                             e-mail : ms@Uni-Dortmund.DE
University of Dortmund, CS-Department
P.O.Box 500500                              voice  : +49 231 7552444
D-4600 Dortmund 50, (West)-Germany          FAX    : +49 231 7552386

waynec%sparcle.ens.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Wayne Clark) (10/07/90)

 > What is the best way to get serial line utilization statistics from
 > cisco routers?  I have turned on ip accounting and got session statistics,
 > but I would like more information about hourly averages, peaks, etc.

    I'm using the modified gawk (Gnu awk) that is part of the ISODE 6.0 dis-
tribution.  I collect ifInOctets, ifOutOctets, and sysUpTime every 2 minutes.
I then munge the data to get a data rate and write it to a file.  Then, I use
another gawk script to separate the input and output data into several temp
files that are feed to xgnuplot for display on a workstation running X.  This
shows the peaks nicely, complete with time of day.  We have a 14.4k baud link
that I've been monitoring, and the graphs regularly flatten out at 14.4k baud.
We are now planning to upgrade the link to 56kb.  Graphs alway help to impress
the management :-).

	Wayne

"Out of the frying pan (hardware), and into the fire (software)!"
Wayne Clark			uucp:  {uunet,sequent}!tektronix!waynec
Computer Network Services 	csnet:  waynec@tektronix.TEK.COM
Tektronix, Inc.			phone:  (503) 627-5364

m34294@is.Morgan.COM (Marita OBrien) (10/07/90)

What is the best way to get serial line utilization statistics from
cisco routers?  I have turned on ip accounting and got session statistics,
but I would like more information about hourly averages, peaks, etc.

thanks,
marita o'brien
morgan stanley

nipper@i32fs2.ira.uka.de (Arnold Nipper) (10/07/90)

In article <27508@boulder.Colorado.EDU> ms@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Marc Sheldon) writes:

> > What is the best way to get serial line utilization statistics from
> > cisco routers?  I have turned on ip accounting and got session statistics,
> > but I would like more information about hourly averages, peaks, etc.
>
>I have a small sh and awk script running which polls our cisco router
>using Daniel Karrenbergs ciscotalk-utility (basically a primitive telnet)
>and extracts the data on the serial line interfaces on a five-minute basis.
>
>Marc

You can get information about utilization via snmp too. I have a short
awk script which produces an overview about current utilization of
all interfaces. I run a second script telling me about status of the
routing protocols.

Arnold
Arnold Nipper *** Universitaet Karlsruhe, Am Fasanengarten 5 * nipper@ira.uka.de
XLINK, Inst. fuer Betr.- und Dialogsysteme, D-7500 Karlsruhe *  +49 721 608 4331