[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Got Collision Problems?

michaele@sequent.com (Michael J. Edelman -- Network Architecture) (11/02/90)

After having collision problems for a long time we asked cisco to come
out and take a look at our network and our problem. To make a [very]
long story short, we found a few problems.

Jumpers W94 and W193 on the MCI cards were set for Ethernet version 1,
not Ethernet version 2/802.3 -- contrary to the documentation.  The
routers appear to be shipped configured for Ethernet version 1 although
they are documented as being shipped configured for Ethernet version
2/802.3.

The documentation -- "Installing the MCI card" in the cisco "Hardware
Products Installation Guide", appears to have Ethernet version 1 and
Ethernet version 2 swapped, so that what is documented as the jumper
setting for Ethernet version 1 is Ethernet version 2, and vice versa.

When we corrected the jumper settings, our collisions dropped from 3%
to 5% to .3%. A dramatic improvement!

Our thanks to cisco for sending the people out to help diagnose and
solve the problem!

Michael Edelman
Sequent Computer Systems, Inc.

ROBERT@VM1.MCGILL.CA (Robert Craig) (11/03/90)

Could you give us the manual revision numbers and approximate
date(s) when you took delivery of the mal-configured units?

I'd like to know if I should go check the jumpers on all
the MCI cards in all our campus and regional network routers...
It would also be nice to know the "correct" settings for
Type II/802.3.

Robert Craig                          domain: robert@vm1.mcgill.ca
Senior Network Analyst                bitnet: robert@mcgill1
McGill University Computing Centre    Tel: (514) 398-3710
805 Sherbrooke St. W.                 FAX: (514) 398-6876
Montreal, Quebec H3A 2K6              CORISQ: (514) 398-RISQ

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (11/03/90)

In article <29131@boulder.Colorado.EDU> ROBERT@VM1.MCGILL.CA (Robert Craig) writes:
>Could you give us the manual revision numbers and approximate
>date(s) when you took delivery of the mal-configured units?

I'd like to know too!

-- Walt Haas   haas@ski.utah.edu