[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] routeing between terminal servers

bri@jake.cc.wayne.edu (Brian Holmes) (11/09/90)

Is is possible to connect two terminal servers across rs-232 ports
and route between them over this line?  Or how about a terminal
server with a special rs-232 port instead of an ethernet interface.
I have an application for a remote terminal server without the
need for an ethernet interface.  Any ideas?
--
Brian Holmes
PHONE:    (313) 577-3750  FAX=577-5626          Wayne State University

pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov9.122150.20305@cs.wayne.edu> bri@jake.cc.wayne.edu (Brian Holmes) writes:
>Is is possible to connect two terminal servers across rs-232 ports
>and route between them over this line?  Or how about a terminal
>server with a special rs-232 port instead of an ethernet interface.
>I have an application for a remote terminal server without the
>need for an ethernet interface.  Any ideas?
>--
>Brian Holmes

You may wish to consider the following for connecting a
remote terminal server which does not need ethernet access.

cisco Terminal Servers can be ordered with synchronous interfaces.

---------|			|---------|->
Backbone |        T1/56Kbps     |cisco    |->
cisco AGS|----------------------|Terminal |->   Terminals/
         |                      |Server   |->    Modems

All routing, minimal as it is for the Terminal Server
is done with over the serial link.

(This is how CERFnet uses its Terminal servers for
DIAL n' CERF, our dial-up Internet Access Service.)

--pushpendra
CERFnet
(619) 534-5056