[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] kermit/uucp/etc. on cisco based outgoing modem?

pat@convex.com (Pat Peters) (10/31/90)

I'd love to have an outgoing modem attached to one our cisco terminal
servers and get copies of kermit, xmodem, uucp and all that stuff that
could go from our Unix systems out across the net and use the modem on
the box.  I'm interested only in outgoing (call originated here) use of
the modem.  The question, of course, is whether anyone has already made
the necessary hacks to the software so I can spend my nights sleeping
instead of coding.

Anybody out there that can help me?  Thanks.

--
Pat Peters
Convex Computer Corporation             UUCP: pat@convex.com

BILLW@mathom.cisco.com (WilliamChops Westfield) (10/31/90)

    I'd love to have an outgoing modem attached to one our cisco terminal
    servers and get copies of kermit, xmodem, uucp and all that stuff that
    could go from our Unix systems out across the net and use the modem on
    the box.  I'm interested only in outgoing (call originated here) use
    of the modem.  The question, of course, is whether anyone has already
    made the necessary hacks to the software so I can spend my nights
    sleeping instead of coding.

You might take a look at tcpcon.shar, retrievable via anonymous ftp from
ftp.cisco.com.  This is a set of programs written by Ross Cartlidge
(somewhere "down under").  Near as I can tell, the idea is to set up
a device /dev/ttypx, or whatever such that when you open (file system)
the device, it opens (network) a connection to a specific tcp host/port.

From the documentation, it appears that this was originally intended
for talking to a Bridge terminal server from a MIPS box.  It may need
modifications for use with other systems.

Kermit/uccp/etc all have the ability to talk to a tty device - using
this program, the intermediate network connection ought to be invisible.

This program has not been tested by cisco, and is not supported by cisco.

Enjoy
BillW
-------

gih900@sao.aarnet.edu.au (Geoff Huston) (11/10/90)

In article <35147.273f685c@ccavax.camb.com>, bruce@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) writes:
> Not knowing how much bandwidth there is to "down under", is the copy at cisco
> current?

as long as you transfer through the day your time the 56K satellite connection
to Australia should allow about 5Kbytes / second. When Australia wakes up the
throughput does go down a lot.

Geoff Huston

rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Ross Cartlidge) (11/11/90)

BILLW@mathom.cisco.com (WilliamChops Westfield) writes:

>    I'd love to have an outgoing modem attached to one our cisco terminal
>    servers and get copies of kermit, xmodem, uucp and all that stuff that
>    could go from our Unix systems out across the net and use the modem on
>    the box.  I'm interested only in outgoing (call originated here) use
>    of the modem.  The question, of course, is whether anyone has already
>    made the necessary hacks to the software so I can spend my nights
>    sleeping instead of coding.

>You might take a look at tcpcon.shar, retrievable via anonymous ftp from
>ftp.cisco.com.  This is a set of programs written by Ross Cartlidge
>(somewhere "down under").  Near as I can tell, the idea is to set up
>a device /dev/ttypx, or whatever such that when you open (file system)
>the device, it opens (network) a connection to a specific tcp host/port.

>From the documentation, it appears that this was originally intended
>for talking to a Bridge terminal server from a MIPS box.  It may need
>modifications for use with other systems.

I'm the "Ross Cartlidge" Bill is talking about.
The latest version is ftpable from archive.su.oz.au,
in archive/nd/*,
although it hasn't changes much in a while.

We use it for UUCP, SLIP, dial-in/out modems, printing etc.
We have a policy of having NO lines on machines and it seems to work
very well. In fact, slip seems to work better on virtual lines than
real lines - less problems with interrupts!

It also works if you want to have a "tty" that links two machines
on the Internet.

It works on SysV or BSD and should be easily adaptable
to any terminal server.
I have used Bridge, Transerver and Annex without any problems.

Mail me if you have any problems
Ross Rodney Cartlidge			    |   rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923497
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (11/13/90)