[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] cisco/isdn

dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton) (11/28/90)

Do Cisco have any plans to provide an ISDN interface for their routers ?
This is becoming very attractive here in Germany now that ISDN is coming
on stream. It would beat the pants off an X.25 connection at 9.6 baud
which at the moment costs an arm and a leg.....
Apologies if this has been discussed already - I don't read the group
regularly.

Dave Morton,
European Computer Research Centre		Tel. + (49) 89-92699-139
Arabellastr 17, 8000 Munich 81. Germany.	Fax. + (49) 89-92699-170
E-mail:	dave@ecrc.de

ccwacker@cnedcu51.bitnet (11/29/90)

In article <2241@ecrc.de>, dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton) writes:
> Do Cisco have any plans to provide an ISDN interface for their routers ?
> This is becoming very attractive here in Germany now that ISDN is coming
> on stream. It would beat the pants off an X.25 connection at 9.6 baud
> which at the moment costs an arm and a leg.....
> Apologies if this has been discussed already - I don't read the group
> regularly.

At last European european cisco meeting in Nice, cisco people have asked if
there is interest in such an interface. User responses were positive,
especially for using ISDN as backup. But only 3-4 guys were interested to use
cisco to interconnect LANs using only ISDN.

I think that cisco will not provide an interface for the basic ISDN access
(2x64 kbps + D), but will perhaps provide an interface for the primary ISDN
access (30x64 kbps + D). With such an interface, connexion to multiple sites
can be done simultaneously, or even you can dynamically adjust the number of
channels with the trafic volume.

We have just started to test LANs connexion with ISDN using cisco routers here
at our university. Instead of using an interface in the cisco box, we use an
external ISDN adapter (ISDN <> V35). It seem's to work fine till yet. For the
moment we start and stop the connexion manually, but we hope to find some way
to provide automatic dialing in a near future.

Happy ISDNing.

Claude Wacker
Network Manager, University of Neuchatel, Switzerland
CCWACKER@CNEDCU51.Bitnet

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (11/30/90)

In article <2241@ecrc.de>, dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton) writes:
> Do Cisco have any plans to provide an ISDN interface for their routers ?

The University of Utah expects to be on an exchange supporting ISDN in
roughly one year.  To prepare for that insurmountable opportunity :-)
we expect to install a few ISDN lines remotely from another exchange.
This raises the issue of what connectivity we can support.  Ideally I would
like to have people with machines at home (Mac/PC/Sun etc.) able to open
a 64k channel into the University and run in client/server mode or something
similar.  I would envision a box that ultimately works like this:

                         -----------           ------------
ISDN primary ============|   box   |-----------|   AGS+   |------- Ethernet
                         -----------           ------------

such that a user running, say, Novell or NFS or an X window at home could
make the appropriate connection to a corresponding machine at the
University.  Does cisco have plans for such a box?

Thanks  -- Walt Haas    haas@ski.utah.edu

pte900@jatz.aarnet.edu.au (Peter Elford) (12/03/90)

|> In article <2241@ecrc.de>, dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton) writes:
|> Do Cisco have any plans to provide an ISDN interface for their routers ?

AARNet is about to upgrade the backbone links in our network to ISDN primary
rate services. These links will look like this:

       V.35              G.703                PRA
cisco ------  Nx64K Mux ------- ISDN Adapter ----- ISDN Network --- etc.

The Nx64K Mux is made by Summit Technologies (an Australian company) and
provides a single bitstream out of multiple 64K B channels. For a link of
N 64K streams you need one additional B to do the synchronising (so
128K requires 3 64K circuits). The ISDN adapter is from Jtec (another
Australian company). Within about 3-6 months the Summit box will have
a PRA interface, and Jtec will be offering Nx64K out of their equipment,
so we will only need an interface box from one vendor.

In addition, we are planing to migrate our 48K tail links to ISDN BRA links
(2B+D) and are looking at terminal adpaters that will provide V.35 interfaces
to this service (there are at least two vendors of such equipment in Australia:
Telecom Australia resell the Phillips box, and Datacraft sell the Newbridge).

Down the track a bit we would like to consider dynamic ISDN links (placed by
the router and/or Summit/Jtec box) to bridge link failures or to add
additional capacity (ie. link bandwidth) on demand. This would require some
support from both cisco and Summit/Jtec ...

Peter Elford,                           	e-mail: P.Elford@aarnet.edu.au
Network Co-ordinator,	 			phone: +61 6 249 3542
Australian Academic Research Network,		fax: +61 6 247 3425
c/o, Computer Services Centre,			post: PO Box 4
Australian National University			      Canberra 2601
Canberra, AUSTRALIA

sterba@margaux.inria.fr (Milan Sterba) (12/07/90)

Distri

sterba@inria.inria.fr (Milan Sterba) (12/08/90)

We (INRIA Rocquencourt, the CEDIA Passerelles project group, lead by
Yves Devillers) cooperate with cisco on some ISDN - cisco attachment
solution. For that purpose we use the MATRA Terminal adaptators S0/V24.

This adaptators have one S0 port and two V24 ports. One of the V24 ports
is used as auxiliary for configuration and dial-up purposes. The second
one can be used in various configurable fashions. To attach a cisco box
to it we configure it as a synchronous 64 K port. The aim is to utilize
the full capacity of a ISDN/B channel for cisco-to-cisco communication.

                                         ------------------
         --------                       |                  |
        |        | V/24 ---(aux-port)---|cisco aux-port    |
  +- S0 |Matra TA|                      |                  |
  |     |        | V/24 -{"B-channel"}--|cisco serial port |
  |      --------                       |                  |
  |                                      ------------------
 ISDN network
  |      --------                       |                  |
  |     |        | V/24 ---(aux-port)---|cisco aux-port    |
  +- S0 |Matra TA|                      |                  |
        |        | V/24 -{"B-channel"}--|cisco serial port |
         --------                       |                  |
                                         ------------------

This solution makes it possible to interconnect two cisco boxes using
the ISDN B-channel (64 kbit) using either hdlc, lapb or x25 encapsulation.

The dialing can be made in two fashions.  The first consists in using
the auxiliary port (b-port) of the cisco box connected to the auxiliary
port of the Matra adaptator to dial using Hayes or V25bis mode (both
supported by the Matra box). You can access the b-port by telnet-ing
the port 2001 of the cisco.

The second solution uses the 108/2 mode for dialing. In this latter
case the Matra box dials-up a preconfigured ISDN number when the DTR
signal goes up on the main V24 (64 kbit/s) interface. The control of
the DTR is possible using the "[no] shutdown" command in the cisco
configuration mode.

We even have experimented with the ISDN board supplied by Sony for
their NEWS work stations (we have got one from Sony for beta-tests).
The Sony ISDN equipment can be IP-interconnected with the above cisco
ISDN solution using lapb-dce encapsulation.
--
--Milan Sterba-- (INRIA Rocquencourt)
sterba@inria.fr