[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] AppleTalk routing with Multigates and cisco's

C.Chaundy@its.unimelb.EDU.AU (12/13/90)

I would like to get in contact with any sites using cisco routers for
AppleTalk routing that also use Webster Multigate localtalk/ethernet
gateways.  We have recently installed an AGS+ running 8.1(21) and have
been having numerous problems since the installation, particular with
QuickMail on Macintoshes.  Multigates are similar to Kinetics FastPath
boxes.

Chris Chaundy

Technical Manager, Networks,
Information Technology Services, The University of Melbourne
Internet: C.Chaundy@its.unimelb.EDU.AU	(DTE 505233430003)
Phone:    +61 3 344 7045  Cables Unimelb
Fax:      +61 3 347 4803  Telex AA35185
Post:     Parkville, Victoria 3052 Australia

John Wright writes:

>Try turning APPLTALK CHECKSUM off on the ciscos. Also, I would strongly
>recommend upgrading to later release of software (8.2 when it becomes
>available. Should start seeing some downunder in a couple weeks).

Thanks.  I will discuss the implications of this with our Computer Science
guys who developed (and continue to...) the Multigate.  There was some
initial strangeness with IPtalk routes being favoured over Ethertalk routes
by ethernetted Macs talking to QuickMail mail centres on the opposite side
of the router connected via a Multigate.  This was not working for some
reason and we have since fixed this by what appeared to be a cosmetic
change to some Multigate code!

The problems that we are now experiencing with QuickMail seem to be only
timeouts, and we have discovered how to adjust these (the manual suggests
that this may be necessary in a network with routers, etc.) so things
look like they may be under control.

Regards, Chris Chaundy