[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Serial Lines and Datatel 3552

mdm@noc.CSU.net (Mike Marcinkevicz) (01/09/91)

John,

>> Help! I'm trying to get an MCI serial (Type 1.1, V 1.5) to talk to a
>> Datatel 3552 CSU correctly...I get Illegal Frame address sometimes,
>> but mostly the line does not come up even when the CSU is in "CSU
>> Loop". I know my cabling is OK, because it works when the CSU is in
>> "Local NCTE Loop", which is just a hardware loop at the V.35
>> connector. I've checked with Datatel and they say I am set up
>> correctly, also CICNET is running in this same configuration. Any
>> Ideas?????

We had the exact same problem for the longest time.  This problem
is the most evident when you have a "long" cable of more than 5 feet.  We
used various 30, 40, and 50 foot cables and still had the problem.
Discusssion of the problem with Case DataTel, Inc. revealed that there
were problems in the serial interface on the DataTel.  The DataTel 3552's
work; they just weren't supporting the clocking option that the cisco needs
to function all the time.

Two solutions:  #1:  Ask DataTel to upgrade your equipment to at
least revision 2.4.  Running that version means you have a completely
redesigned serial interface with more configurable settings.  The new
setting that is available under 2.4 (which wasn't documented for some time)
is:	SYNC CLOCKING:  GIVE RXC - GET TXC
Set up the DataTel this way and you should be off and running.

		#2:  Use a very short cable so that the DataTel is sitting
right next to the cisco.

To expedite this process, you may want to call Tom Kazmer
(Case DataTel in Colorado).  He was really helpful.  As far as how much
an upgrade costs, I'd ask them to do it for free if your equipment is new.
Tom's # is 303-770-0819.  Tom had a new DataTel sent to me and
then we sent in our units to be upgraded.

--Mike
Mike Marcinkevicz, Network Engineering, CSUnet
The California State University, Chancellor's Office
c/o CSU, Fullerton Computer Center,
800 N. State College Blvd.  MHLL-27, Fullerton, CA  92634
Email:  mdm@CSU.net    Voice:  714-773-3009    FAX:  -3990

rexm@trailboss.uswest.com (Rex Mammel) (01/09/91)

Main Menu
Configuration
Line Build Out: 0, 7.5 or 15 db of loss
Varying this parameter has solved our problem with the
flakey DSU/CSU and line performance.

	From cisco-request@spot.Colorado.EDU Mon Jan  7 08:56:09 1991
	From: john stigall <stigall@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
	Subject: Serial Lines and Datatel 3552