[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] problems with novell-routing

macbeth@netmbx.UUCP (Andreas Pahl) (12/22/90)

We have a major problem with routing Novell-protocol via X.25:

Everything seems to be all right, the Novell-servers of each net can be
seen on the other net, login and attach work, BUT:
LARGE FILES CAN'T BE COPIED!!!
When I try to dos-copy a file from one side to the other, the files reaches
the other server, but it's corrupted after about $6000 Bytes.

Software Version 8.1, Microcode 1.5

Does anyone know this problem? we are in big trouble, since developing
of one software-project is done on both sides.

Thanks for help in advance...Rainer

hobson@madness.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) (12/28/90)

In article <1581@netmbx.UUCP> macbeth@netmbx.UUCP (Andreas Pahl) writes:

> We have a major problem with routing Novell-protocol via X.25:
>
> Everything seems to be all right, the Novell-servers of each net can be
> seen on the other net, login and attach work, BUT:
> LARGE FILES CAN'T BE COPIED!!!
> When I try to dos-copy a file from one side to the other, the files reaches
> the other server, but it's corrupted after about $6000 Bytes.

	So you found out that Novell does not do end-to-end
checksumming.  Cisco knows about this problem and is working on a
solution. We have had the same thing happen to us with DECnet and
UDP/IP (NFS checksumming turned off on the SUN or backups not working
using rdump under UNIX) over serial lines.  Basically, how do you tell
the upper-level protocols (above level 2 and level 1) that you had a
error at the HDLC level and resend the packet over a serial line
before the higher protocol timeout on the packets already sent out by
the host? Each protocol deals with this differently.  What is each
protocol timeout for "corrupted" or lost packets.
	Most of the above protocols assumes that you are using an
ethernet cable for transport since the host machines do not know that
there is a slower transport mechanism (two cisco boxes connected by a
serial line of speeds anywhere from 9.6K up to T2) in between the LAN
(WAN). Host A send out it's ethernet cable assuming ethernet speed to
host B who thinks it is talking the ethernet speed transport
mechanism. If that serial line is having problems (losing packets or
corrupt packets between the two cisco boxes) and it is longer that the
protocol timeout for packets to be transported to the end host, what
does the upper layers of the protocol do? It is up to the particular
protocol and applications.
	We have seen many protocols break, since we have cisco boxes,
just because a serial line (leased circuit), modem, or CSU/DSU was
partially or completely broken. Basically, level 5 (session level or
session error level) should do an end-to-end checksum. Novell does not
have this when using ethernet transport. It assume it is working (or
completely not working).
	Best way to check is bring up IP (encapsulation HDLC) on the
serial line and ping both serial interfaces with 1000 packets using
the following data patterns:

standard [0xABCD], all zeros [0x0000], all ones [0xFFFF]

ALL THESE PATTERNS SHOULD WORK ON A WORKING SERIAL LINE AT ANY SPEED.

After you have determine that there is a problem, start looping back
various devices, one at a time, on both sides of the connection to
isolate the particular device (or cable) or leased line using the
above test, again. This is how we determine that there was a local
cable problem with our X.25 connection to our regional Bell Public
Data Network. The DTE loopback (ping test) would work but a remote
CSU/DSU loopback (ping test) would not. The regional Bell said
everything tested good up to our CSU/DSU when was loopback. Also a
great way to find out if the regional Bell installed a "bridged TAP"
on T1 leased line. Normal telephone test equipment will say the
circuit is good. The cisco will complain, loudly.
	Good luck.
--
Kevin Hobson				Internet: hobson@rutgers.edu
Rutgers - The State University		UUCP: {backbone}!rutgers!hobson

rainer@hwsw.gedas.de (Rainer Raupach) (02/19/91)

Hi Netlanders,

we have a little problem to solve.

We are using the cisco box for novell routing via X.25; we also
use an internal bridge in one fileserver as router between
Netware 2.15/3.1 and Netware VMS. This has to be routed, since our
PC's and Servers are talking 802.3 and the VAXes are talking Ethernet II.

The cisco is on the same part of the network, as the PC-servers are and
is causing the error msg
"Router configuration error: <VAX> is claiming LAN A is 00000002"
but there is no VAX on this part of the network.
This error msg only occurs, when the cisco is on the network and the
ethernet interface has NOT the same novell-net-number as the VAXes.

The topology is as below:

		net 00000002
	*		|			|
	*MAC-LvlBrdg	|			|
      =====		|			|
	*		| (LAN B)	   -----------
	*(LAN A) ------------ 		  | NW-VMS Vax|
	*-------| 2.15 Server|		   -----------
	*     	 ------------
	*
	*	 -------
	*-------| cisco |
	*	 -------
   net 00000001

This seems to be an error in the routing function of the cisco.

The manual says, that we could exchange the internal bridge for
the cisco, since the cisco can talk Eth II on one port and 802.3
on the other.
But there is also tcp/ip on net 00000002, and we are using the
cisco for ip routing also.

Is there somebody who can help us?
cisco, are you listening?

Rgds Rainer

rainer@hwsw.gedas.de (Rainer Raupach) (02/19/91)

Sorry, the configuration was missing for the cisco:
GS Software (GS2-BX), Version 8.1(25)
System Bootstrap, Version 4.2(4)

novell routing
interface Ethernet 0