[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Cisco and SNA

jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) (02/07/91)

Saw an article in a trade rag this week (forgot which one) that stated that
cisco was going to build in IBM PU 2.0, 2.1 and 4 functionality in their
routers to go along with SDLC-in-tcpip routing (yea, let's *REPLACE* that
remote FEB with an AGS+ !!).

Could someone at cisco fill this in with a little more detail?

john@waikato.ac.nz (John Houlker) (02/28/91)

In article <32684@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, Joel P. Bion <jpbion@cisco.com>
writes:

> Thank you for your questions concerning cisco's existing and upcoming support
> for protocols in IBM's SNA.
.
.

Thanks for your informative response Joel; looks good!

Another question on SDLC tunnelling techniques; is it possible
to mix all three forms on the same net (or does this require all
connections to use the most general form, i.e. "full SDLC
transport").

Now pushing my luck a bit further :-), would cisco consider
providing SNA interfaces not just as SDLC but also in the form
of encapsulations supported by other SNA "gateway" vendors?  By
this I mean a configuration like:

  IBM HOST - SDLC - ciscoA--"complex networking cloud"--ciscoB- DECNET/SNA

where "DECNET/SNA" is the SNA-over-DECNET that DEC SNA gateways
provide (whatever that is - haven't tried to unpick it).  If
this were available we wouldn't need a DEC gateway - its
function is to allow access using DEC SNA application software on
VAXes or PCs (avoiding the need to use IBM equipment).  It may
be that the cisco SNA software is already doing much of what a
DEC gateway does, and just needs a few extras to convert to
DECNET transport (yes, this is wishful thinking).

I believe there may be other vendors that provide SNA delivery
via forms of encapsulation (in particular over IP); again
emulation of popular "interfaces" of this sort could be most
useful.

Thanks
John