[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Is it possible to configure two default routes on a Cisco router ?

laforgue@imag.fr (Pierre LAFORGUE) (03/12/91)

Help please !  Does someone know a solution to my problem ?

Let be a Cisco router (AGS+) with various Ethernet connexions and a serial one
connected to a distant Cisco router (itself being on a distant IP network C).

Let be 2 local IP networks, whose IP address are respectively A and B.
Each Ethernet entry of the Cisco connects a subnet of A or a subnet of B,
excepting one which connects a distant network whose IP address is D.

I need to configure:
- for the network A a default route via a machine of C
- for the network B a default route via a machine of D

(all machine of A must communicate with the rest of the world via the
distant network C, all machine of B must communicate with the rest of the
world via the distant network D)

                                ------------
---------- subnet A.1 ---------|            |
---------- subnet A.2 ---------|            |---......----- network C
---------- etc        ---------|   Cisco    |
---------- subnet B.1 ---------|            |---......----- network D
---------- subnet B.2 ---------|            |
---------- etc        ---------|            |
                                ------------
How could I do that ?
Is it possible to configure two default routes and to "play" with the access
lists to discreminate them ?

Thank you by advance.

--
Pierre LAFORGUE                                            laforgue@imag.Fr

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (03/13/91)

> From: laforgue@imag.fr (Pierre LAFORGUE)
> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.sys.cisco
> Date: 12 Mar 91 07:48:57 GMT
>
> I need to configure:
> - for the network A a default route via a machine of C
> - for the network B a default route via a machine of D
>                                 ------------
> ---------- subnet A.1 ---------|            |
> ---------- subnet A.2 ---------|            |---......----- network C
> ---------- etc        ---------|   Cisco    |
> ---------- subnet B.1 ---------|            |---......----- network D
> ---------- subnet B.2 ---------|            |
> ---------- etc        ---------|            |
>                                 ------------
> How could I do that ?

	What is usually done in your situation is to receive all route
advertisements known to routers on nets C and D into the cisco (while
sending nets A, B, and C or D) and send only a default to nets A and
B.  This creates a large routing table in the cisco which does not use
a default route itself, while relieving the local nets A and B of
having large tables by using a default pointing to the cisco.  If you
don't want the broadcast load on nets C and D, you may be able to use
EGP between the cisco and the authoritative routers on nets C and D.

	You also need to decide whether the cisco can be a route
between C and D.  If so, then those nets need those route
advertisements, like the cisco does.  In this case, have the
authoritative routers broadcast all known nets onto their nets C and D
for the cisco and all hosts.  Then no one on nets C and D uses
default.

	--Kent