[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Troubles with routing Novell on Cisco.

SNMS4@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Kevin W. Mullet, Univ. of N. Tx) (03/13/91)

         We have a Cisco AGS+ running 8.1(21). I've been unsuccessful
         at getting Novell IPX to route between E0 and E6 (or any
         other interfaces, for that matter).  Both have been set to
         novell-encapsulaion ARPA, both have been given the right
         Novell (XNS) network numbers, and I've even tried XNS access
         lists, Novell helper lists and helper addressees to no avail.

         Here's the problem.  Normally the Novell network on E0 get's
         it's RIP and SAP updates from a Netware 286 external
         brid..uh.. router that routes between our campus wide (older)
         IBM-PC Network backbone and their local Ethernet.  This works
         fine but slow.

         When we have both the Cisco and the Novell router routing, we
         get weird problems on both sides of the Cisco with SNA
         Gateway problems, NACS problems, none of which we can
         conclusively pin down to the Cisco.  They happen without the
         Cisco, but not as frequently.

         When the Novell network on E0 is using the Cisco exclusively
         to get to the rest of campus, an slist from a workstation on
         the E0 side shows servers going up and down like a mad dog.
         If I run a looping batch file to keep doing SLIST, I get 39
         servers, 34, 30, 24, 28, 32, 38, 39, and so forth.

         Both sides are doing ARPA encapsulation a la Ethernet II with
         8137 typefield.  Doing a sho servers at the AGS+ appears
         consistent with no dissappearing servser, but servers on the
         E0 side fade in and out to E6, and servers on the E6 side
         fade in and out to E0.

         The problem appears also in the output from debug
         novell-sap.  It's littered with the likes of "such and such"
         DOWN when it really isn't.

         (I've got a file with the debugging output and configuration
         stuff in it if anyone's interested.)

         That, in a nutshell (or rather a NETshell?) is the problem.
         I've had Nick Thille from Cisco tech support on the phone for
         about a week with no visible means of success.  I've recently
         FTP'd a 4-5 meg Sniffer capture of each Ethernet to Cisco in
         hopes that they'll be able to figure something out from that.

         1:  Does anything come to mind?  (feel free to look around on
         the router, but I've got the Novell stuff turned off now).

         2:  I notice both our E0 and E6 interfaces have the same
         MAC-level address.  Is this normal?

         3:  Who else, that y'all know of, is doing Novell routing
         with Ciscos on Ethernets with ARPA encapsulation?

         4:  Any other ideas that I can try?

         r.s.v.p.
         (Please reply to me directly and I'll post to the net.
         thanks.)

         -Kevin Mullet
          University of North Texas

ralls@cisco.com (03/13/91)

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1991 13:23 CST
From: "Kevin W. Mullet, Univ. of N. Tx" <SNMS4@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>
Subject: Troubles with routing Novell on Cisco.
To: BIG-LAN@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU, cisco@spot.Colorado.EDU

Hello,

I'm going to be helping Nick out a little with this problem. I have
all of the infor that you sent Nick. Although I havn't had a chance to
look at the traces yet. I have a few more questions for you. Sorry,
it seems you've been getting alot of questions lately. I have noticed
a few things in your config file that may be causing some of your problems.

I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that Nick pointed some of them
out. Have you had a chance to try them?

	  We have a Cisco AGS+ running 8.1(21). I've been unsuccessful
       	 at getting Novell IPX to route between E0 and E6 (or any
       	 other interfaces, for that matter).  Both have been set to
       	 novell-encapsulaion ARPA, both have been given the right
       	 Novell (XNS) network numbers, and I've even tried XNS access
       	 lists, Novell helper lists and helper addressees to no avail.

 Have you confirmed that all of your servers are correctly
 configured for ARPA encapsulation? Ciscos will hear both encapsulations
in 8.1 but only speak one.

         Here's the problem.  Normally the Novell network on E0 get's
         it's RIP and SAP updates from a Netware 286 external
         brid..uh.. router that routes between our campus wide (older)
         IBM-PC Network backbone and their local Ethernet.  This works
         fine but slow.

By slow do you mean that the routing of data is slow between the two nets
or that the routing updates are slow?

         When we have both the Cisco and the Novell router routing, we
         get weird problems on both sides of the Cisco with SNA
         Gateway problems, NACS problems, none of which we can
         conclusively pin down to the Cisco.  They happen without the
         Cisco, but not as frequently.

Sorry, but I don't know what NACS is. Could you describe the problem in
a little more detail?

         When the Novell network on E0 is using the Cisco exclusively
         to get to the rest of campus, an slist from a workstation on
         the E0 side shows servers going up and down like a mad dog.
         If I run a looping batch file to keep doing SLIST, I get 39
         servers, 34, 30, 24, 28, 32, 38, 39, and so forth.

What is happening to the routes at this time? Are they flapping as well?

         Both sides are doing ARPA encapsulation a la Ethernet II with
         8137 typefield.  Doing a sho servers at the AGS+ appears
         consistent with no dissappearing server, but servers on the
         E0 side fade in and out to E6, and servers on the E6 side
         fade in and out to E0.

         The problem appears also in the output from debug
         novell-sap.  It's littered with the likes of "such and such"
         DOWN when it really isn't.

It would be helpful if you would enable "debug novell-packet", "debug
novell-routing" and "debug novell-sap" at the same time on the box when
these problems are occuring. This should give a clear picture of what's happening
with the routes. You might also do a "show interface e 0" and e6 to see
if that shows any thing interesting. If you could capture those and send it
to Nick that would be great. I have some debugging, but just doing the debugs
one at a time doesn't really give a good picture of what going on.

         (I've got a file with the debugging output and configuration
         stuff in it if anyone's interested.)

If you have changed your config please send Nick and updated copy.

         That, in a nutshell (or rather a NETshell?) is the problem.
         I've had Nick Thille from Cisco tech support on the phone for
         about a week with no visible means of success.  I've recently
         FTP'd a 4-5 meg Sniffer capture of each Ethernet to Cisco in
         hopes that they'll be able to figure something out from that.

         1:  Does anything come to mind?  (feel free to look around on
         the router, but I've got the Novell stuff turned off now).

We would like to do that, but we'll need to have the novell stuff turned
back on to show anything useful,

         2:  I notice both our E0 and E6 interfaces have the same
         MAC-level address.  Is this normal?

Yes, in 8.1 when novell is turned on it makes all of the interface have
the same mac level address.

         3:  Who else, that y'all know of, is doing Novell routing
         with Ciscos on Ethernets with ARPA encapsulation?

Other customers have done this successfully. None of them come to mind right
away... Sorry.