[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] it's almost a shame to upgrade 'em

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (03/06/91)

My semi annual cisco advertisement...

ig-tipa>show har
TS Software, Version 8.0(13)
Compiled Tue 30-Jan-90 14:53

System Bootstrap, Version 4.1(4)

ig-tipa uptime is 26 weeks, 5 days, 1 hour, 16 minutes
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*
System restarted by error condition - Jump to zero, PC 0xAD64000B
Running default software
[...]
CSC2 (68020) processor with 1024K bytes of memory.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
80 terminal lines.
Configuration register is 0x301

ig-tipa>q

ig-tipb>show har
TS Software, Version 8.0(13)
Compiled Tue 30-Jan-90 14:53

System Bootstrap, Version 4.1(4)

ig-tipb uptime is 32 weeks, 2 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^
System restarted by power-on
Running default software
[...]

CSC2 (68020) processor with 1024K bytes of memory.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
64 terminal lines.
Configuration register is 0x301
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

john@waikato.ac.nz (John Houlker) (03/06/91)

In article <32934@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, Eliot <lear@turbo.bio.net> writes:
> My semi annual cisco advertisement...
>
> ig-tipb>show har
> TS Software, Version 8.0(13)
> Copyright (c) 1986-1990 by cisco Systems, Inc.
> Compiled Tue 30-Jan-90 14:53
>
> System Bootstrap, Version 4.1(4)
>
> ig-tipb uptime is 32 weeks, 2 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes
> *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^
> System restarted by power-on

We have the same "problem" :-)

waikato>show hard
GS Software, Version 8.0(13)
Compiled Tue 30-Jan-90 16:25

System Bootstrap, Version 4.1(4)

waikato uptime is 37 weeks, 5 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes
System restarted by power-on

CSC2 (68020) processor with 1024K bytes of memory.
2 MCI controller.
2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
6 Serial network interface.

This machine was bought, cabled in, and turned on (once).  Looks like
we need a facility to hot-swap the proms.  We are about to install
and AGS+ router with a 6 port Ethernet board, have these been shown
to have the same high level of reliability?

John

terpstra@nikhef.nl (Marten Terpstra) (03/06/91)

-- In the message of Mar  5, Eliot Lear writes : --

	My semi annual cisco advertisement...

Here's my contribution to the advertisement :

--
hef-ts>show vers
TS Software, Version 8.0(13)
Compiled Tue 30-Jan-90 14:53

System Bootstrap, Version 4.1(4)

hef-ts uptime is 48 weeks, 6 days, 19 hours, 53 minutes
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
System restarted by power-on
Running default software

CSC2 (68020) processor with 1024K bytes of memory.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
32 terminal lines.
48K bytes of multibus memory.
Configuration register is 0x301

hef-ts>quit
--

This terminal server has been running ever since we put it into production
almost a year ago ...

Marten
--
Marten Terpstra                                  National Institute for Nuclear
Internet : terpstra@nikhef.nl 		                and High Energy Physics

bergum@cim-vax.honeywell.com (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.210855.3063@waikato.ac.nz>, john@waikato.ac.nz (John Houlker) writes:

> This machine was bought, cabled in, and turned on (once).  Looks like
> we need a facility to hot-swap the proms.  We are about to install
> and AGS+ router with a 6 port Ethernet board, have these been shown
> to have the same high level of reliability?

I think the proms should be packaged like a nintendo game cartridge so
you can just plug em in and push the reset button.  Maybe they could
play a little mario bros tune, too!
-----/|\---------------------------------------+
-   / | \   Bergum@CIM-VAX.Honeywell.COM       |
-  /__|__\  Dave Bergum [MN26-3190]            |
-  t--'--/   2701 4-th Ave. S., Mpls, MN 55408 |
-~~~~~~~~~~  (612)870-5839                     |
-----------------------------------------------+

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.210855.3063@waikato.ac.nz> john@waikato.ac.nz (John Houlker) writes:
>In article <32934@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, Eliot <lear@turbo.bio.net> writes:
>waikato uptime is 37 weeks, 5 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes
>System restarted by power-on
>
>CSC2 (68020) processor with 1024K bytes of memory.
>2 MCI controller.
>2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
>6 Serial network interface.
>
>This machine was bought, cabled in, and turned on (once).  Looks like
>we need a facility to hot-swap the proms.  We are about to install
>and AGS+ router with a 6 port Ethernet board, have these been shown
>to have the same high level of reliability?

	Univ of Utah Engineering and Mines Router

	User Access Verification

	Password:
	gw-eng>sh v
	GS Software (GS2-BF), Version 8.1(21)
	Compiled Tue 28-Aug-90 21:24

	System Bootstrap, Version 4.2(4)

	gw-eng uptime is 16 weeks, 3 days, 10 minutes
	System restarted by power-on
	Running default software

	CSC3 (68020) processor with 4096K bytes of memory.
	Bridging software.
	1 cBus controller.
	6 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
	Environmental Controller.
	64K bytes of multibus memory.
	Configuration register is 0x101

We're gettting there - however this unit did have a defective MEC6 card as
received.  Since replacing it not much has gone wrong.

Cheers  -- Walt

oberman@amazon.llnl.gov (03/10/91)

In article <33128@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, jliv@gibbs.SFSU.EDU (John Loiacono) writes:
> I don't get it!  Are terminal servers usually unreliable?  Are you
> folks being forced into upgrading?  Why all the praise about a product
> that doesn't crash?

Who the heck is talking about terminal servers? The AGS(+) is a multiprotocol
router. And, if you have played with most of them (including some early cisco
releases), you would be impressed, too.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

jliv@gibbs.SFSU.EDU (John Loiacono) (03/10/91)

I don't get it!  Are terminal servers usually unreliable?  Are you
folks being forced into upgrading?  Why all the praise about a product
that doesn't crash?

(sound of head scratching goes here)

jliv

henryc@oar.net (03/11/91)

>I don't get it!  Are terminal servers usually unreliable?  Are you
>folks being forced into upgrading?  Why all the praise about a product
>that doesn't crash?

Lets broaden the stakes here a bit.  If you compare the uptime of routers by
another manufacturer (cough) to cisco, the cisco more than holds it own :-).

Henry

---
Henry Clark                      Network Guy, OARnet
Ohio Supercomputer Center        Email: henryc@oar.net, Phone: (614) 292-6483
1224 Kinnear Rd.
Columbus, OH  43212              #include <disclaimer.h>

dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Dan Schlitt) (03/13/91)

>>I don't get it!  Are terminal servers usually unreliable?  Are you
>>folks being forced into upgrading?  Why all the praise about a product
>>that doesn't crash?
>
>Lets broaden the stakes here a bit.  If you compare the uptime of routers by
>another manufacturer (cough) to cisco, the cisco more than holds it own :-).

I think that you should be a little careful in your praise.  You may
bring some cisco users out of the woodwork who will have strong and
rather different opinions about the performance of the routers and of
cisco in admiting and fixing the problems with their routers.

But I'm glad you're happy with your choice.

/dan

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/13/91)

In article <33209@boulder.Colorado.EDU> dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Dan Schlitt) writes:
>I think that you should be a little careful in your praise.  You may
>bring some cisco users out of the woodwork who will have strong and
>rather different opinions about the performance of the routers and of
>cisco in admiting and fixing the problems with their routers.

Well, I never once powered down or rebooted my cisco in the first
four months I had it.  On the other hand, the failure of the original
power supply after 6 weeks, and then 6 weeks later, the identical
failure of the replacement power supply ultimately caused reloads. :-(

Luckily, since then I've been happy as a clam.  It's been up for
8 weeks straight now.  (Knock wood...)

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

monica@netman.ericsson.se (Monica Bouchibane) (03/14/91)

I'm having the same problems. I almost want to pull a cable, just to make
something happening.

sh ver
GS Software, Version 8.0(6)
Compiled Wed 25-Oct-89 12:52

System Bootstrap, Version 4.1(3)

VLECN1 uptime is 45 weeks, 6 days, 18 hours, 37 minutes
System restarted by power-on
Running default software

CSC2 (68020) processor with 1024K bytes of memory.
Bridging software.
4 MCI controller.
6 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
2 Serial network interface.
48K bytes of multibus memory.
Configuration register is 0x301

I'm only having X.25 problems to keep me busy

Monica Bouchibane
Network Manager
Ericsson