[comp.dcom.sys.cisco] Network config questions

markat@cyrano.llnl.gov (Mark Tassinari) (03/05/91)

Greetings.

We just purchased a number of cisco AGS+ routers and intend to begin routing
IP, DECnet and eventually Appletalk.  I have heard somewhere that sites are
configuring their nets to take advantage of cisco's high bandwidth backplane.
We were hoping to do this also, but are running into some problems with regard
to IP addressing.  I hope someone that has traveled this road can offer some
advice on how to set up the IP addressing.

The concept was simple.  Rather than having a 10Mb ethernet connect all the
node routers together we would connect them to a single cisco and use the
backplane as the backbone.

           Bld1  Bld2  Bld3
	     \    |   /
              \   |  /
	     ---------   ---------   ---------   ---------
	    |  Node1  | |  Node2  | |  Node3  | |  Node4  |
	    |  cisco  | |  cisco  | |  cisco  | |  cisco  |
	     ---------   ---------   ---------   ---------
	          \          \           /          /
		     \        \         /        /
	                \      \       /      /
       		           \    \     /    /
			      \  \   /  /
	                     -------------
			    |     hub     |
			    |    cisco    |
			     -------------

Each of the Bldx networks is assigned one class B subnet.  My big question is,
what's the best way to address the node<->hub links?  Its seems wasteful to
use a class B subnet for each.  We tried mucking with the netmask to make a
single subnet into a number of smaller subnets and using one of these small
subnets on each link.  We then got into trouble with conflicting netmasks.

Is there a better way?

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark Tassinari				markat@cyrano.llnl.gov
Lawrence Livermore National Lab		(415) 422-4090
PO Box 808   L-408			Livermore, CA 94550

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (03/05/91)

In article <32870@boulder.Colorado.EDU> markat@cyrano.llnl.gov (Mark Tassinari) writes:
>We just purchased a number of cisco AGS+ routers and intend to begin routing
>IP, DECnet and eventually Appletalk... Rather than having a 10Mb ethernet
>connect all the node routers together we would connect them to a single
>cisco and use the backplane as the backbone....

What do you hope to gain by using the extra [hub] router?  We use the usual
backbone architecture with an Ethernet backbone (to be upgraded to FDDI).
I can't see what would be gained by replacing the Ethernet with a router.

-- Walt

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (03/05/91)

> From: markat@cyrano.llnl.gov (Mark Tassinari)
> Subject: Network config questions
>
>            Bld1  Bld2  Bld3
> 	     \    |   /
>               \   |  /
> 	     ---------   ---------   ---------   ---------
> 	    |  Node1  | |  Node2  | |  Node3  | |  Node4  |
> 	    |  cisco  | |  cisco  | |  cisco  | |  cisco  |
> 	     ---------   ---------   ---------   ---------
> 	          \          \           /          /
> 		     \        \         /        /
> 	                \      \       /      /
>        		           \    \     /    /
> 			      \  \   /  /
> 	                     -------------
> 			    |     hub     |
> 			    |    cisco    |
> 			     -------------
>

> My big question is,
> what's the best way to address the node<->hub links?

	Walt Haas asked the right question: Why the hub cisco if you
have leaf node ciscos?

	I ask the complementary question: Why leaf node ciscos if you
have the hub node cisco?

	If what you want is to use the cBus as your high speed
backbone, I suggest you plug each interface of the hub cisco directly
onto each subnet in each building, using fiber optic ethernet.

	If you have more than 18 or so Ethernets you need more than
one AGS+ chassis and then you have to link the hub routers together
with something.  Perhaps FDDI in future.

	This approach does away with the need for two port subnets.
However, whenever it is that cisco supports OSPF then you will have
variable length subnet masks and link state routing, both big wins.
With variable length subnets, you don't run into the problem you
described with subnet mask conflicts.  Your hosts are not affected and
can still use a common subnet mask and you can conserve subnet space
for lots of small subnets.

	There are two ways to plug the hub cisco interfaces into each
subnet: you can use the ODS fiber optic transceiver cable extender
solution or you can use a pair of standard FOTs.

	The ODS solution requires an Ethernet cable to plug into on
the subnet side, which is an advantage if you don't have a repeater or
bridge to attach to.

	The "pair of FOTs" solution is best if what you are attaching
to is the AUI port of a multiport concentrator.  FOTs give you better
link level error detection than does the ODS solution which is
pretending to be an AUI cable.

	If anyone knows of another AUI cable extender vendor than ODS,
let me know and I'll mention them in future.  All things equal, I
prefer FOTs, but I invite contrary comments and experience.  We have
had some trouble with ODS units aging, but we don't have a lot of
experience yet with FOTs.  Cabletron is our preferred vendor today for
FOTs.

	--Kent

robel2@mythos.ucs.indiana.edu (Allen Robel) (03/18/91)

I'll suggest the following modification to your diagram
so as not to waste a subnet:

    Bld1  Bld2  Bld3
      \    |   /
       \   |  /---- B
       ---------  |       ---------   ---------   ---------
      |  Node1  | |      |  Node2  | |  Node3  | |  Node4  |
      |  cisco  | |      |  cisco  | |  cisco  | |  cisco  |
       ---------  |       ---------   ---------   ---------
	          \

		  \

	             \

       		     \

                      A  \

	               -------------
                       |     hub     |
                       |    cisco    |
                        -------------

Thus, the link to the node cisco is also the link to

one of the buildings.  One way to implement B in the above

diagram, if you're using fiber, is to use a multiport
fiber repeater with one port feeding Node1 and the other Bld3.

If you're worried about the cost of the repeater, consider that

you're saving an interface on the cisco.  In detail, it would
look like...

                                                 Bld 1
                           |---[fiber xcvr]-----[fiber repeater]
[Hub cisco][fiber xcvr]----|
                           |---[fiber xcvr][Node1 cisco]

                         MultiPort
                         Fiber
                         Repeater

A disadvantage is that you'll have another repeater in
the signal path to Bld3 so will need to watch the number
of stacked repeaters (10baseT hubs etc.) in that building.

Another advantage, though, is that Bldg3 gets fewer hops to

the hub cisco (so let it be the one  in which the Provost or

other Big Cheese resides :-)

regards,

Allen Robel                         robelr@mythos.ucs.indiana.edu

University Computing Services       ROBELR@IUJADE.BITNET

Network Research & Planning         voice: (812)855-7171
Indiana University                  FAX:   (812)855-8299

robel2@mythos.ucs.indiana.edu (Allen Robel) (03/18/91)

I'm not sure if this made it to the list so am resending
(with a correction to the second diagram...)

[...]

 A                         B               Bld3

Allen Robel <robelr@mythos.ucs.indiana.edu> (03/21/91)

>    Bld1  Bld2  Bld3
>      \    |   /
>       \   |  /---- B
>       ---------  |       ---------   ---------   ---------
>      |  Node1  | |      |  Node2  | |  Node3  | |  Node4  |
>      |  cisco  | |      |  cisco  | |  cisco  | |  cisco  |
>       ---------  |       ---------   ---------   ---------
>	           \

>	            \

>	             \

>     	              \

>                   A  \

>                     |     hub     |
>                     |    cisco    |

Another drawback to my suggestion is that traffic from Bld1 & 2
is repeated onto Bld1 on its way to the node cisco.  A bridge
in Bld3 would solve this but now things are looking kind of
jucky. :-(